Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland sterling?

Options
  • 11-03-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭

Can you use Northern Ireland sterling in England? It looks completely different from Bank of England stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Technically yes, in practice it can be difficult.

Any bank branch should change it for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Flying over just for a weekend so banks will be closed. Will they change it for me at the FX desk at the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Will your bank not change it for you before you go, to english sterling?

Its totally luck of the draw if places will take it off your hands, in my experience pubs will take it but again, most people look at you like you have two heads when you hand it across the counter, its the same for scottish sterling in england.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

I was in london with northern sterling and a lot of shops wouldnt take it off me. like the other poster said they look at you like you two heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

It has a very poor reputation in the UK due to lots of counterfitting during the troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 farneville

I agree that you will have difficulty spending Northern Irish Notes in England as per my personal experience and It is applicable in the rest of the world as well.

I was in the UK coming from Asia last year, I went to Newcastle and London in England after which I visited Ireland (South and North ) I decided to bring or exchanged my cash to Thomas Cook Amex Travelers Check for security purposes but when bound way back home that's Belfast to Newcastle, Shops won't accept Northern Irish Notes in England (Newcastle) luckily there are Money Exchanger where you can exchange such for a short amount of service fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

It's odd how they treat is almost as a separate currency! So much for the 'United' Kingdom! :rolleyes::D

Advertisement