Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skinny boxer

Options
  • 11-03-2009 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi we have a boxer bitch of 3 months that looks seriously skinny fed twice a day and wormed .just a question . is this how they look when pups everytime i see her i wana buy her a burger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

At 3 months old your dog pups needs to be fed 4 times a day, not 2!!

What food are you feeding it? It needs a good quality complete puppy food. What food did the breeder recommend you, or what was it being fed when you bought it? The breeder should of told you what it was on and then you should continue that food.

Just make sure the pup is getting 4 feeds a day up until around 6 months and then you can bring it down to 3 then when they are around 1 you can bring it down to 2.

Are you making sure you are feeding the correct amount for the size of dog and age too? It will say it on the bag of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

You should also make sure you are worming the pup with a good quality wormer once a fortnight at that stage. Mine is a rescue and when I got him first (at about the same age as yours) he was riddled with worms and has not really recovered the weight ever since as he is growing so fast - literally quadrupled his size in the past 3 months.

If the pup is lively and playful and you can answer yes to all the questions above then I think you have little need to worry. They usually don't fill out until between 15 and 18 months to the classic boxer shape..

It would be about time for his vaccinations now so you could discuss it further with your vet when you get those done to put your mind at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

As bluefrog said, take her to the vet and discuss when getting vaccinations. Our pointer was very underweight as a 3 year old when we got her, she still drops down during the hunting season, but the vet weighed her and gave us good advice to get her up to a normal weight and maintain it.
    She is looking a lot better now.

The vet will weigh her and recommend how much food to give and how often you should feed her. Our dog was given Burns food with a higher amount of protein in it, but that wouldn't be suitable for a pup. Also keep a good record of vaccinations and worm doses given. Get a recommendation from the vet as to how often is right for your dog, and buy it from them and not the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Once you rule out any health reson for it feeding the pup more often at that age is a must, something like Burns or Hills or even Red Mills dry food.
    It's easy to measure it out and whereever you buy the puppies food they should have a measuring cup with it, if not just ask them.

Parazole wormer is a great wormer for pups as well.

Smaller meals more often is better than 2 full meals and even when the dog is fully grown, as it's a slightly bigger breed, I would feed the dog 2 smaller rather than one large meal a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

3346070693_3c1f34baa2.jpg
    (with boxador sister)

The vet will most likely ask you about what the dog's stools are like and the frequency of them too. You might want to take a small sample along just in case the vet feels there is a problem that needs investigating - they shouldn't need more than a tablespoon of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement