Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag Gang Attack In Louth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

are you defending them it looks like it. the law is not working so i and others will make it work simple as that you dont understand .

Cant we wait until the law runs it course in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

asdasd wrote: »

the law has never run it's course properly for gods sake they have nowere to put them in the first place and the government are not keen on keeping them either in relation to how much it costs us to keep them in prison. i do understand it is extreme to go ahead with what was said but i think it justifies itself.

some of you people would want to stop hugging trees and get out there and sort this c rap out yourselves instead of relying on the law. the gaurds are trying there best but it's the idiot judges that are stuck in the middle ages that are screwing up the law system in this country.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

zenno wrote: »
    some of you people would want to stop hugging trees and get out there and sort this c rap out yourselves instead of relying on the law. the gaurds are trying there best but it's the idiot judges that are stuck in the middle ages that are screwing up the law system in this country.
    Surely a judge with a mindset from the middle ages would be in favour of hangings, stocks, ducking stools and trial by fire and this would be a positive thing in the eyes of the average AH reader?

Now either carry on waving your pitchforks at your monitor or go outside and tilt at some windmills, either will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sigh... How does a preference for the law over vigilante-ism automatically make one a tree-hugger? That's just a lazy statement. So you'd advocate I go out and pour petrol over the guys and light a match? And then what? I go to prison. No thanks. And how on earth are the judges "stuck in the middle ages"? If they were stuck in the middle ages, they'd sentence the criminals to being publicly hung, drawn and quartered.

• Advertisement

i give up. i said my piece you just go along screaming at YOUR monitor and keep finding things to fault. these c unts will get what's coming to them either way.

No, it's not a case of finding things to fault, it's debating - on a public message board. You can't let your emotions determine the way justice is dealt by the state legal system - otherwise it would be barbaric all together and innocent people could end up victims of it.
    And not agreeing with torturing those evil bastards to death is not being a "tree hugger" etc.

It really shouldn't be so difficult to grasp.

Dudess wrote: »
    No, it's not a case of finding things to fault, it's debating - on a public message board. You can't let your emotions determine the way justice is dealt by the state legal system - otherwise it would be barbaric all together and innocent people could end up victims of it.
    And not agreeing with torturing those evil bastards to death is not being a "tree hugger" etc.

It really shouldn't be so difficult to grasp.

fair enough but this is our legal sys...
    THREE men arrested in connection with a brutal attack on two young couples and rape of a teenage girl at a beauty spot near Drogheda were released without charge yesterday.
    A file has been sent to the DPP

were just waiting on the results from finding the rest of them and matters will be taken ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Take the personal feeling out of the equation (revenge/hate...etc - all of which are valid emotional reactions) and the question arises ' what is our (Eire's) obligations if the accused are found guilty?'
    I do not know what legislation exists or what co-operation pacts may be in place with our European colleagues, but it is my view that if a visiting/residing member of another European country is found guilty of an offense, under Irish law, he/she should be kept in residence not by the host country but by the country of origin.
    I know this may not be possible as the is no one European wide legal system, therefore each state would have to modify it's own legislation for each individual case.
    There has to be some responsibility by the country of origin (I know there are many variables, to numerous to mention). I guess in essence we are back to the nature / nurture argument. If a parent gives birth to a child and provides the environment for that child and the child turns to criminality - where does the responsibility lie? Mostly with the individual or course, but who should provide the punishment and pay for it?
    I don't think the usual rabid remarks or misguided categorization "usual liberals...etc" add anything to a debate upon the consequences of an horrific attack; someone's opinion is either valid and constructive or it's not, their liberal or conservative categorization is irrelevant.
    There should be no 'knee jerk' response to this attack - closing the park..etc. I use the park but not at night, therefore It may be plausible to close it after dark. But is this another narrowing of our liberties in the face of terror caused by a minority?
    I do agree that there are many difficulties with our Legal system - they way it's structured and the penalties. In my non legal opinion if there is evidence against the individuals involved in this horrific attack they have forgone their right to freedom in our society. Each one of us must be held responsible for our actions - the moment they approached the car with the intent to cause harm they negated their right to partake in our society. If you agree with this opinion, then where do we go next?
    I genuinely do not think that the penalties for murder/rape/violence...etc are sufficient - the punishment must in some way fit the crime. I wonder if these guys were aware that they would spend life in prison for what the may have perpetrated would they have proceeded? Once again, I know this is a simplistic argument but you get the drift.
    My heart goes out to the victims, especially the girls. I hope all involved can have faith in the others that share their society.
    In Conclusion, if any of the four attacked were my dearest friends I cannot say that I would not seek retribution, especially if they attacked my close female friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I thought I knew and understood but did I lose it or did you? No sense!

Well, my post was in English, so I guess the fault lies with you.
    I'm sorry. I can't actually find any examples of the above - care to do the honours?
    Note: disagreeing with barbaric punishments being doled out by the legal system is not the same as "jumping to the defence of every gang of ****ing scum".

Well, theres a bunch of people on this thread wanting to skin the perpetrators alive and roll them in salt and you're saying that would be terrible. So yeah, its jumping to their defence. You're not exactly breaking out the pitchforks.

On the plus side, you can rest assured youre the most objective, moral and rational person in this little corner of the internet. The competition is high though, so watch out.
    Sand, I realise you revel in being Boards.ie's self-styled answer to Kevin Myers but could you explain how the notion of "innocent until proven guilty" is "shyte"?

You know what self styled means? Right?

Innocent until proven guilty is a legal term. Plenty of people are innocent after being proven guilty. Plenty of people are guilty without ever being proven so.

The law isnt justice, the execution of the law isnt justice. People need justice, and they need to see justice done. Thats what youre confused about - youre talking about the law, people are talking about justice.

Remember that attack I mentioned in my previous post? One of them got 21 years. Which is at least acceptable. The rest of the filth got at most 10 years - should be out fairly soon actually. The people of Limerick must feel so safe being protected from the scum in their area by the infallible legal system.

I guess the pair of their victims will get over it though, wont they? Probably all recovered and fully living their lives. No 10 year sentence for them. Justice has been served. Oh and one of the guys got a 12 month sentence for stealing a bottle of wine on the same night. Just to put it into perspective.

But dont worry about it. There was threads about the Limerick attack, just like this one. Nothing changed. People werent strung up and tortured to death. So dont worry about it. Like I said, this stuff happens. Its tolerable. People need to let off some steam. Modern day saints need to remind them about fascinating legal facts like courts tend to convict people before sentencing them. Its not worth getting overly bothered about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

walshb wrote: »
    Terry, I know well where it was. My point is that there is pretty much ZERO presence anyway and that is the problem. I asked where were these thugs an hour or two hrs before. You can bet wherever they bloody where, there wasn't a copper in sight to suss them out. That's the whole point.

Look, if you walk the length from Grafton to O'Connell on a busy Sat night, you will be damn lucky to see a copper on the beat. Are you following?

Lack of Police presence, whether it be in a wooded area, a quite culd de scac a busy street or town, is a disgrace. They aren't to be seen and plenty of assaults have taken place in areas that are not secluded and Gardai have been sittin' in their stations. They are not proactive.

I am debating the bigger picture. A gang of teenage dogs were roaming the streets or woods or anywhere else because no one was going to challenge them. This could have well happened in a street, there still wouldn't have been a copper around!
    An hour or two before would have been 1 or 2am. They were probably in the same place. They were probably drinking there (It's not only Irish people who get drunk in the wooks. Shocking, I know.).
    The Gardaí do not have the time or resources to scour every inch of woodland or follow anyone who just might rape a woman or commit some other crime.
    Here are some links to stories of rape which didn't happen in Ireland:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3392175.stm
    One in super duper America where the police are everywhere (Hey, you said they were all over the place, not me. Oh, New york is it?).
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/article452124.ece
    http://www.mtexpress.com/2003/03-09-17/03-09-17rapes.htm

Where were these wonderful international police forces when these rapes occurred?

The Gardaí cannot be everywhere all the time. Scumbags will seek out secluded areas to carry out attacks. It's not rocket science.

OMG!!!! I RED THIS POST AND NOW I FEEL SICK!!!1!!1 ANYONE WHO THINKS THAT DESE PEDOFILES SHULD BE LET OFF IS A PEDOFILE THEMSELVES!!!!!!! WE ALL KNOW THAT THE PEDOFILES WILL B PUT IN A PRISON CELL WITH A TV AND LET OUT AFTER 3 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bebo page.

Dudess wrote: »
    People wind up in a jail cell for being drunk and disorderly here too.
    YEAH!!!! :o

Micamaca wrote: »
    Unfortunately, this is also true...and then some. However, I do think they are a lot more strict with crime, perhaps more serious crime than speeding. I am only going on what I have heard from my other half over the last 9 years of course. I have no figures to prove it.

I think it says something really bad about Ireland, that 5 or 6 people can move to another country, where they did not grow up with the laws and customs and still somehow feel or perhaps know that if they commit this kind of horrendous crime, they will get away with it. And guess what. They did.

Shame on Ireland.
    Shame on us for allowing foreigners into our country and shame on us that those foreigners raped a woman. It's all our fault.
    Brilliant idea.
    No smoke without fire and all that, never mind innocent until proven guilty. If they could be a rapist then all their rights should be stripped away, no matter how fallible our justice system is.
    I think you could be a rapist. It's possible.
    You should be locked up right now.

I read this the other day about this east european gang and what they done. well i can tell you one thing if i got my hands on the f uckers i would set them on fire while alive for sure and enjoy a beer while doing it. this has got to be the sickest thing i've heard in a long time. these victims are never going to be the same again after that s hit. i'm f ucking sick of these b astards and alot of people here are thinking of turning up at the court when they return to destroy them. well i say go for it take them off the gardai and stick them in a van and deal with them in a nice country spot. if they do good luck to them.
    Yay! Another flash animation enthusiast. Here. Try this.
    You're banned by the way.
    Advocating violence towards others will get you banned every time.

asdasd wrote: »
    Apparently not. The keyboard warriors want blood and they want it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

They were in a woodland area in the middle of ****ing nowhere.
    All they had to do was jump behind a bush if they saw the lights of a car.
    What do you want here? Every woodland area to be floodlit and have security cameras recording every single thing that happens? That's the only way to monitor these things.
    You could have 1,000 Gardaí in the area and still not be able to adequately cover it. Did you actually read the article, inparticular the bit about where it happened, or are you just jumping to conclusions and imagining that it happened on a well lit street right in front of a Garda station?

I think your missing the point. Nobody is calling for cops to be present every 10 meters. We are simply asking for cops to do what they do in most countries in the civillised world and thats to do regular patrols. Its part of a cops job to do it.That means cops on the beat at any given time at any hour in the day or night 24 hours a day 7 days a week in major cities, towns and areas where these scum congregate. It doesn't cost the taxpayer anything and its a total embarrassment we don't already do it. What are cops getting paid for? to sit around a station watching t.v and filing out files to the dpp.

The 'you could have 1,000 garda in the area and still not adequately cover it'

Absurd statement. 1,000 gardai would be definetly enough to cover it. In the u.k, america, canda, usa they have less cops per head of population then we do over here. The point being made is that gardai don't do regular patrols. In their current state the gardai carry out tax collecting for the government and react to calls from the public. Proactive policing is not part of the culture of the gardai. As i mentioned you could drive from one end of the country to the other on any given day and 90 per cent of the time you would not see one garda doing a patrol on foot. I often have been in cities at night when trouble errupted and the gaurds where nowhere to be seen. They only show up once a person made a call by which time it's too late. The only time you may see a gaurd doing a patrol if there was a lot of assualts in an area. They do a patrol for a few days to make themselves known then dissapear again. Gardai need to be constantly on patrol every night or at rotary times during the day and night every day of the week. Its as simple as that. Thats the way its done in other countries and we need to follow suit. In fact anyone reading this post from other countries would be laughing at our attitude towards policing.

Its not their fault its the people who set the policies and the history of policing in this state. Pretty much mirrors the way the government do things. Lazy half arsed attempt.

You cannot claim that garda presence doesn't make any differnce when they have never done regular patrols on a rotary basis. So how you can make a judgement when the evidence in other countries point to police presence being a deterrence is strange. We need to change our policing from the 'couldn't give a f))k ' attitude to a position of strength ensuring safety and that the scumbag obeys the laws like the rest of us do. Police presence deters crime its a fact.

Having cops on patrols at regular times i.e rotary ensures that they can respond to calls quicker too and be on the look out for trouble. You do realise these teens came from somewhere and weren't just hanging around a forest and park all day. Cops on patrol is smart patrolling where they build up contacts with people who keep a look out for them and build trust in the local community. The cops get a sense of their community and a sense for whats out of place and not right. You don't get that kind of experience sitting in a police station wating to rescue granny smith's cat. A lack of police presence breeds fear and insecurity and is asking for trouble. Even seeing a cop is enough to deter people from crime. When you have a lack of cops visible its common sense thugs and scumbags take advantage of this.

Its better to have a 30 -50 per chance of dettering a crime then a zero per cent one. All the sarcastic comments about ' you don't expect gaurds to be supermen' and 'deploy limited resources to woodlands' is just embarrassing and typical of people who grew up in a culture where policing is a novelty rather then a requirement.

The 'yes but look at the crime rate in the states' comment. Thats actually a firearms legislation problem where they are too freely available. Its a total seperate issue from the policing/Justice issue in the states. The policing/justice system does its job in the states regardless of whether their are a lot of firearms freely available. The people in the states want the free availability of firearms for purchase. The people over here don't want scumbags roving around free attacking and raping. Totally seperate issue. And don't feel so smug either there are plenty of firearms over here available on the black market as we see each week. The policing issue here is another story.

Asking a policeman to patrol areas, step outside the police station and do patrols is not asking him to be superman, its asking him to do what he signed up for. Again police presence deters crime. You can argue all you like its a proven fact. Go and live abroad and maybe open up your perspective of whats expected from police. Regular patrolling is what police are expected to do. In Ireland people act as if its a novelty and actually defend this lazy behaviour which is costing lives.

The whole ' if anyone seen anything please report it' culture has to end. Tell you what have no problem reporting an issue but if you actually had cops on the beat you probably wouldn't have to ask constantly ' if anyone seen anything please report it'. Goes without saying why you wouldn't.

Sand wrote: »
    Well, theres a bunch of people on this thread wanting to skin the perpetrators alive and roll them in salt and you're saying that would be terrible. So yeah, its jumping to their defence. You're not exactly breaking out the pitchforks.
    Sand, you're not stupid - I'll take it that was just disingenuousness. No, it's not "jumping to their defence" to disagree with horrible torture - not just against them, but against anyone. If people were jumping to their defence, they'd be appealing for understanding of these misfortunate youngsters, they'd be saying they don't deserve to be punished at all, that they just need to be loved. Now, nobody here is that much of a moron - much as the "hang 'em high" brigade would like to paint some of us as such.

And I don't need to be "breaking out the pitchforks" to demonstrate how I'm not defending them - seriously.
    The law isnt justice, the execution of the law isnt justice. People need justice, and they need to see justice done. Thats what youre confused about - youre talking about the law, people are talking about justice.
    Yes, I'm more than aware of that, but not everyone is of the view that revenge, torture for torture, is justice. Some of us find the idea of the state putting this into practice rather unappealing, some of us think it would make the state not much better than the criminals... so longer, tougher sentences is what I and others would advocate.
    I guess the pair of their victims will get over it though, wont they? Probably all recovered and fully living their lives. No 10 year sentence for them. Justice has been served.
    Nope. Never said that. The law is deeply, deeply flawed, but that to me is not good enough reason for state torture.
    People need to let off some steam. Modern day saints need to remind them about fascinating legal facts like courts tend to convict people before sentencing them.
    Yawn... "Tree-huggers", "liberal pinkos", "modern day saints"... or... people who just don't like the idea of state-sponsored brutality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

A lot of you people seem to be confusing justice with revenge. They are NOT the same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

PeterLT wrote: »
    http://kauno.diena.lt/dienrastis/kita/airijos-policija-paskelbe-kara-mafijai-is-lietuvos-38365

Here you go... If it will be too difficult, let me know I'll translate it for you

It's an article based on an original Irish Examiner article in relation to a Garda crackdown on Lithuanian gangs in West Dublin who are involved in smuggling cigarettes, extortion, blackmail, racketeering etc. The biggest gang consists of between 10 to 15 members. The gangs primarily target fellow Lithuanians.

To be honest, no more than any Irish gang is doing (actually, probably a lot less).

Again you fail to understand my point. I accept that there are Lithuanian criminals here, just like there are criminals from lots of different countries. But I do not see them being any higher proportion than the Irish criminals, nor do I see extensive abuse of our immigration system in this regard (there is obviously some abuse, but not to the high levels your original post insinuated).

Any, to bring this back on topic. I don't see how these suspects being Lithuanian has anything to do with it. There's plenty of fcuked up Irish scumbags who have done similar before and will do again. The only impact them being Lithuanian has is that they are more of a flight risk as they are unlikely to have close connections here (and thus, less to lose by fleeing the country).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

realismpol wrote: »
    I think your missing the point. Nobody is calling for cops to be present every 10 meters. We are simply asking for cops to do what they do in most countries in the civillised world and thats to do regular patrols. Its part of a cops job to do it.That means cops on the beat at any given time at any hour in the day or night 24 hours a day 7 days a week in major cities, towns and areas where these scum congregate. It doesn't cost the taxpayer anything and its a total embarrassment we don't already do it. What are cops getting paid for? to sit around a station watching t.v and filing out files to the dpp.

The 'you could have 1,000 garda in the area and still not adequately cover it'

Absurd statement. 1,000 gardai would be definetly enough to cover it. In the u.k, america, canda, usa they have less cops per head of population then we do over here. The point being made is that gardai don't do regular patrols. In their current state the gardai carry out tax collecting for the government and react to calls from the public. Proactive policing is not part of the culture of the gardai. As i mentioned you could drive from one end of the country to the other on any given day and 90 per cent of the time you would not see one garda doing a patrol on foot. I often have been in cities at night when trouble errupted and the gaurds where nowhere to be seen. They only show up once a person made a call by which time it's too late. The only time you may see a gaurd doing a patrol if there was a lot of assualts in an area. They do a patrol for a few days to make themselves known then dissapear again. Gardai need to be constantly on patrol every night or at rotary times during the day and night every day of the week. Its as simple as that. Thats the way its done in other countries and we need to follow suit. In fact anyone reading this post from other countries would be laughing at our attitude towards policing.

Its not their fault its the people who set the policies and the history of policing in this state. Pretty much mirrors the way the government do things. Lazy half arsed attempt.

You cannot claim that garda presence doesn't make any differnce when they have never done regular patrols on a rotary basis. So how you can make a judgement when the evidence in other countries point to police presence being a deterrence is strange. We need to change our policing from the 'couldn't give a f))k ' attitude to a position of strength ensuring safety and that the scumbag obeys the laws like the rest of us do. Police presence deters crime its a fact.

Having cops on patrols at regular times i.e rotary ensures that they can respond to calls quicker too and be on the look out for trouble. You do realise these teens came from somewhere and weren't just hanging around a forest and park all day. Cops on patrol is smart patrolling where they build up contacts with people who keep a look out for them and build trust in the local community. The cops get a sense of their community and a sense for whats out of place and not right. You don't get that kind of experience sitting in a police station wating to rescue granny smith's cat. A lack of police presence breeds fear and insecurity and is asking for trouble. Even seeing a cop is enough to deter people from crime. When you have a lack of cops visible its common sense thugs and scumbags take advantage of this.

Its better to have a 30 -50 per chance of dettering a crime then a zero per cent one. All the sarcastic comments about ' you don't expect gaurds to be supermen' and 'deploy limited resources to woodlands' is just embarrassing and typical of people who grew up in a culture where policing is a novelty rather then a requirement.

The 'yes but look at the crime rate in the states' comment. Thats actually a firearms legislation problem where they are too freely available. Its a total seperate issue from the policing/Justice issue in the states. The policing/justice system does its job in the states regardless of whether their are a lot of firearms freely available. The people in the states want the free availability of firearms for purchase. The people over here don't want scumbags roving around free attacking and raping. Totally seperate issue. And don't feel so smug either there are plenty of firearms over here available on the black market as we see each week. The policing issue here is another story.

Asking a policeman to patrol areas, step outside the police station and do patrols is not asking him to be superman, its asking him to do what he signed up for. Again police presence deters crime. You can argue all you like its a proven fact. Go and live abroad and maybe open up your perspective of whats expected from police. Regular patrolling is what police are expected to do. In Ireland people act as if its a novelty and actually defend this lazy behaviour which is costing lives.

The whole ' if anyone seen anything please report it' culture has to end. Tell you what have no problem reporting an issue but if you actually had cops on the beat you probably wouldn't have to ask constantly ' if anyone seen anything please report it'. Goes without saying why you wouldn't.
    Ok, I just skimmed through that.
    So the basic jist is that the Gardaí need to patrol uninhabited areas on a regular basis and we can't compare Irish policing to American policing because they have guns. Is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

dotsman wrote: »
    It's an article based on an original Irish Examiner article in relation to a Garda crackdown on Lithuanian gangs in West Dublin

Good man, I'm impressed. Just the bigest gang isn't from 10 - 15 members. You would have to multiply by 2 or 4. Anyway this article is old and the situation is out of date.

Again you fail to understand my point. I accept that there are Lithuanian criminals here, just like there are criminals from lots of different countries. But I do not see them being any higher proportion than the Irish criminals

I think you missed my previous post at 20.48 yesterday.

Anyway it is hard to say what is really happening out there in criminal world. The main source of information, naturaly, is media, but media will never publish things that you can know from your own experience. Lets say you want to hire a prostitute or buy some drugs. You wouldn't find addresses or phone numbers in Golden Pages or in local newpapers. Would you? But I believe you know where to get all that, if not, you probably know who knows... If again not, that you are really good person and probably one of the last from "The Saints" kind...

I'm saying this very carfully and this is a simple example I'm not refering it to you.
    A) If you don't know where to buy drugs - that means you don't know much about criminal world.
    B) If you do - well it's possible that you know how they are being trafficked here the involvment of Irish, English, Lithuanian gangs. That Ireland is situated in very convenient geographic (drug offloading) point. I could elaborate but lets leave it here. I can't tell, nor you, at least approximate figures and which gang exports or imports more. If you could find that kind of links, please let me know it would be very interesting to learn...
    nor do I see extensive abuse of our immigration system in this regard (there is obviously some abuse, but not to the high levels your original post insinuated).

Exactly, you can't see abuse of immigration system because first of all, you don't know mentality of abusers and don't know how they abusing the system. I would't be elaborating here again because it's of the topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dudess wrote

"Well it's true - people ARE free to roam. Love the way those advocating civil liberties be restricted seem oblivious to the fact that EVERYONE would be affected, not just scumbags."

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest that gardai were on the beat and making
    sure scum weren't committing crime. Few questions to suss out is hardly
    affecting anyone. The VAST majority are decent and respectable folk
    and if you are a decent skin, then what's the big deal. At least we'd
    have a little more confidence in the gardai and their willingness to
    be proactive

Yes, they are free to roam. My point is that the Gardai should be able to suss them out, challenge them, question them and ascertain whether or not
    their roaming is simply that and that there is nothing potentially troubling.

Now, when the gardai aren't on the beat, and they aren't, then these scum can roam and can commit crime with impunity.

Teenage gangs roaming the streets or woods or city centre without any care in the world and free to do what the **** they want. That's not policing

If it's all free and innocent, let a copper decide this. He/she can't decide it when they are sitting on their arses in the stations and the scum are commiting crime on the streets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Terry wrote: »
    Friends with Young Fine Gael?
    I'm not surprised.

[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NetLink

Terry wrote: »
    See the emboldened text there?
    Yeah, focus on that before you git yer pitchfork and go boldly into the night.

Once again, it happened in the middle of nowhere.
    The four people in the car had deliberately gone there in order not to be seen.
    It was two young lads in a car trying to get their hole. They weren't going to park in the middle of a town.

Terry, I think you missed my point here.

It doesn't really matter where the 2 couples parked their car. Fact of the matter is that the attackers were obviously looking for trouble. They found the couples, didn't they? And they obviously thought they could get away with it. And by the sounds of things they actually did.

If this is true then there's something seriously wrong here, don't you think?

Also, a lot of people are going on about generalisation and prejudice etc. But honestly, think about it. That is just the way it is and it makes sense. If more and more Lithuanians (for example) come to Ireland causing trouble, then obviously your going to start getting sus about Lithuanians in general, whether you like it or not. Like one person in this thread said, the foreigners that first came to their town were welcomed with open arms. If their welcoming trust was abused then obviously they're not going to be as friendly second time around. Italians usually pay a higher premium for motor insurance. This is because it's known that a lot of Italians are wreckless drivers. Polish people are known to be hard working. Does this mean every single Polish person works hard? Surely not. Does every Lithuanian cause trouble? Does every Italian drive like a maniac? We know the answer to those questions, but we still generalise, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's unfortunate for the "good" people of a group but that's just the way it is. The "bad apples" of a group will nearly always reflect on the group as a whole, and it's up to the group as a whole to make a difference.

• Advertisement

well they were all let go. gone back to their own country scot free. theres your justice. this countries law and the shi t heads that run it need a good kick up the a rse. still feel sick.

well they were all let go. gone back to their own country scot free. theres your justice. this countries law and the shi t heads that run it need a good kick up the a rse. still feel sick.

More than a kick up the a rse I'd say. They should all be deported to Columbia or somewhere like that!

Wheres this now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So they're gone.. What does it matter to us? The Gardai will not allow them to get away with it if they feel there is a case. All they need to do is contact the airports and ports to get their travel information and request the local police in whatever country they reside in to hold them or bar them from travelling again until extradition.

In my own opinion, I doubt that the gards would have released them without surveilance unless they felt there was a good chance that they were not responsible.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Wheres this now?

quote:the irish daily mirror: gardai have pledged to extradite the men if the DPP decided the case should go to the courts. WTF if the dpp decided the case should go to the courts. i give up...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

That's what i want to know.

The dissonance, in my mind, is that many are calling for the death penality , something that if it is ever to be handed out, should only be done so with a 100% certainty, because if it turns out the initial judgement was wrong... well you see where i'm going with this.

And that's fair enough, but problem is then in the same breath saying that the legal system often gets things wrong.

So on one hand people are calling for a punishment that requires absolute faith in the system to work correctly, while at the same time pointing out they *don't* have any faith in the system at all.

Do you have faith in the system?

jptk wrote: »
    Do you have faith in the system?

Not really, no ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmmm

i wonder how will they enjoy the same treatment in C block... :confused:

Here's some potential good news:

"Gardaí may get new powers to track sex offenders on their release from prison, including the use of electronic tagging, the Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern said today."

- Irish Times

• Advertisement

Oh, and the Galway man that murdered Manuela Riedo, supposedly accidentally by attempting to give her a hug (ya, right, like people die all the time from being on the receiving end of a hug), got life plus 2x 5 years-for robbing her phone and camera.

So, at least some justice is being served!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement