Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP results are out.

Options
  • 11-03-2009 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Check your e-mails:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Just got them did really well in section 2 and not so well in section 1 - guess that's the end of it!!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jacois

I got 68 in section 1 and 91 in section 2.
    Thrilled skinny for a girl who barely scraped d & c's in school.
    84% overall.
    What scores are DCU looking for, does anyone know?

Is that you scaled score or percentile score? Presume you mean UCD - heard if you're not in the top 10% you're not in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jacois

Doh.. yeah UCD. See how I'm normally a D&C girl.
    The Scaled score was 120

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elfinator

Hi,

Just got msap results, but haven't got a clue what to make of them!!

Section 1: 107 scaled score percentile 64
    Section 2: 71 scaled score percentile below 30

overall scaled score 89

overall percentile below 30

Can anyone explain to me what this means??

Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

My overall scaled score was 107 and my overall percentile score was 64. To be honest i'm pretty disappointed with the results. Not exactly sure what to do now or where my options lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

I only got 35 in section 1 and 40 in section 2. overall % of 38.
    Am gutted as I know I can do better than that. Have been out of school for 25 years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

Received my MSAP results this morning. What do they mean?? I'm confused..

section 1 scaled score of 133 percentile score of 93
    section 2 scaled score of 116 percentile score of 73
    overall scaled score of 125
    overall percentile score of 91

Those scores mean you are in the top 9% - Congrats!

amtaxi wrote: »
    Those scores mean you are in the top 9% - Congrats!

Ooh! Yay me!! :D

So how do UCD decide who gets a place? Is it purely based on those MSAP scores? Seems a bit unfair to me to be honest if there's no interview process too. I wonder when they let everyone know whether there's a place for you or not???

• Advertisement

It seems to be impossible to get an answer to this question! Between myself and a friend who spoke to different people today the answers ranged from -"no interviews - admission purely on results", "We look at results and application - results not that important", " Interviews for top 10%", "cut off scale to be published next week" and "you'll find out in July!" :confused:

I personally am very disappointed - my essay skills are obviously not very good - yet I did very well in section 2. At open day we were told that there will be an essay skills workshop in August especially for people like me who have not been in formal education for many years. We were also told that the only preparation needed for the exam was to ensure that you had a good nights sleep the night before. I know i could sell myself at interview but it seems I won't get the chance. I'm totally disheartened! :mad:

amtaxi wrote: »
    It seems to be impossible to get an answer to this question! Between myself and a friend who spoke to different people today the answers ranged from -"no interviews - admission purely on results", "We look at results and application - results not that important", " Interviews for top 10%", "cut off scale to be published next week" and "you'll find out in July!" :confused:

I personally am very disappointed - my essay skills are obviously not very good - yet I did very well in section 2. At open day we were told that there will be an essay skills workshop in August especially for people like me who have not been in formal education for many years. We were also told that the only preparation needed for the exam was to ensure that you had a good nights sleep the night before. I know i could sell myself at interview but it seems I won't get the chance. I'm totally disheartened! :mad:

Seems impossible to get an answer out of anyone doesn't it? The answer I got was that you would know about a place when the first round CAO offers are made during the first week of July. No mention of interviews or anything. Strange set up is it?

3rd July is the day -or at least that's what I was told today! Hope I feel better that day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 brainless

Hi I did the msap and i am so confused with my results

Section one 68%
    Section Two 97%

Overall Score 83%

Percentile Below 30

Did I do crap???

Someone help me!!

If that is a percentile score you did very well! but you'll have to wait and see - depends how many they are accepting and with what score - personally I feel if you're in the top 10% you've a good chance - but who am I to know - all down to UCD!!

So if I only got 38 then I'm only in the 3% range.
    That's dissapointing , thankfully have other places applied for as wouldn't have a hope of getting into UCC based on those scores. I think its a bit misleading though for the college to say not to worry the college understands that mature applicants are sometimes people who haven't been in the education system for a long time. I had applied on the basis of studying to get an degree in Art History after 3 years, I have a bookcase full of the subject. Annoyed because the MSAP results don't reflect on what I know about this subject and my ability to study it as an exam subject. I'm sure there are many like me today after getting their results.
    I too was told that you can't study for this exam so just turned up and I'd already done the sample test papers, but they were nothing like the real thing, very misleading.:rolleyes:
    Well done to all of you that got the high scores..:)

Hi I did the msap and i am so confused with my results

Section one 68%
    Section Two 97%

Overall Score 83%

Percentile Below 30

Did I do crap???

Someone help me!!

Re-reading all the other posts again, now even more confused. Overall percentile of %38 is a bad score isn't it like I originally guessed.
    God this is prooving to be harder than the blooming test..:(

My scores were section 1 94
    section 2 94

overall score of 94
    percentile 38%

Scaled Score Percentile

Section 1 X X
    Section 2 X X

Overall scaled score: X

Overall Percentile: XXXX

XXXX is the most important i.e. if you scored 50 here it means that your score was 50% better than all the others who sat exam and if you scored 90 you were better than 90% of the others

It's then up to college how to use these results - ???

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

I'm screwed. I did better than less than 30%. I am also doing an access course with UCD tho.

On the positive side we should remember that these results are for everyone who has applied as a mature student to UCC and UCD.. People have applied for several different courses - so even though your score might be low for the entire group it could be high compared to the others who have applied for the same course as you.. The following courses required mature applicants to sit the exam:

ARTS:
      [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
      [*]DN012 – Arts Omnibus
      [*]DN022 – Arts part-time (Evening)
      [*]DN023 – Arts part-time (Day)
      [*]DN050 – Computer Science - BA
      [*]DN051 – Economics
      [*]DN052 - History
      [*]DN053 – Philosophy
      [*]DN054 – Psychology
      [*]DN055 – English
      [*]DN056 – Liberal Arts (BA/MA)
      [*]DN057 – Arts International French
      [*]DN058 – Arts International German
      [*]DN059 – Arts International Spanish
      [*]DN061 – History, Politics and International Relations
      [*]DN062 – Economics and Politics
      [*]DN063 – Geography, Planning and Environmental Policy
      [*]DN064 – Drama and English
      [*]DN069 – Arts International Modern Languages

[/FONT]
      [/FONT]
      SOCIAL SCIENCE:
        [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
        [*]DN007 Social Science
        So lets hope for the best!!!! :D Please :confused:
        [/FONT]
        [/FONT]

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I got an overall % of 79 - which I was pretty happy with particularly as I didn't have time to finish half the second essay.
        Anyway - for those who are applying to UCD - I spoke to the mature student admissions guy who told me that they didn't fill all of the mature student places last year and they are worried about filling them this year because this is the first time the msap has been introduced...not sure what that means in terms of them offering places but I reckon if you have a fairly ok score and decent personal statement maybe we'll be ok..well I'm hoping that anyway.

2. Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

I think it's unfair that the students who are fresh out of school have their points tally to aim for..... they know if they get x amount of points they have a good chance of getting into their course of choice. There is nothing to aim for if you take MSAP test , you get your results but don't have a clue what they mean. Does anybody know how many people sat the exam country-wide? Surely an overall percentile of 80 is good enough? Has anybody tried to contact the colleges directly to clarify it? I'm considering sending them an e-mail, no harm in asking i suppose!

3. Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Don't think there is much point in contacting colleges. Tried yesterday and depending who you spoke to there were different answers - think we just have to wait until July 3rd!

4. Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genevieve

Those tests seem strange. A friend of mine did them back in February and he had always been a top student 1.1 and got an overall percentile of 35 which he found gutting to say the least.

I don't think it's a true representation of your ability in college, well obviously not. What do you guys think of these exams and are there any prep courses like the gamsat?

5. Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Genevieve wrote: »
        Those tests seem strange. A friend of mine did them back in February and he had always been a top student 1.1 and got an overall percentile of 35 which he found gutting to say the least.

I don't think it's a true representation of your ability in college, well obviously not. What do you guys think of these exams and are there any prep courses like the gamsat?

Personally I think they're unfair especailly when not paired with an interview. Depending on the course you're applying for I'm not sure that they are very relevant. A large % of mature students have not had any formal education for some time and this type of exam does not show their true abilities. Also UCD hold an essay writing workshop for mature students in August - if they are judging you on your abilities prior to this, surely this doesn't make much sense? :confused:

6. Registered Users Posts: 41 nadialbala

I got 103 overall result what does it mean? is it enough to get into Arts in UCC?

7. Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Did you get an email from MSAP yet, or have you just gone in through the CAO website? I only have the score 1, 2, 3 (which says n/a???) and the overall. No percentile rating yet...

8. Advertisement
      9. Registered Users Posts: 41 nadialbala

I did not get any percentile either .... just the CAO page information with the overall... i am soo confused and worried :-(

Advertisement