Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"... and he earns more than Barack Obama"

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This post has been deleted.

Then why should the rest of us have pay cuts when he should not?

There is a thing called leading from the top, other leaders of other countries have taken pay cuts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

jimmmy wrote: »
    He is the laughing stock of the world trying to run of country of not much more than 3 million....imagine what he would be like trying to run a country - arguably the leading country in the world - of 300 million ?

Well, its not that straightforward.

As another poster in another topic said, if you live in California, then Arnold Schwarzenegger's decisions generally matter far more than George Bush's decisions would have (luckily for them :D).

But I agree completely with the sentiment.
    Its just another card in the deck of corruption.

A person earning the "average industrial wage" (according to FF at least, though most people I know make far less) would have to work for at least 8 years in order to make what Clow(e)n makes for one year of pandering to the aristocracy and property oligarchs.

Just one sentence, but very accurately sums up my feelings tbh.

jimodoom wrote:
    The public are still correct in comparing his wages to others in power - and try to get away from say Obama and look at the UK, which I have mentioned several times in previous posts - it's a very similar governmental model & yet still there is a big discrepancy between what their MPs and Prime minister receive when compared to our own government.

Well, that is true. Gordon Brown receives £187,000 a year as prime minister of the United Kingdom, which has a population of 61 million.

I think Gordum Brawn refused to relinquish an MP pension too tho.

And lets not get started on the blocked motion to remove MP expenses for doing up one's home (or running a 2nd one) ;)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7400952.stm

And while Enda Kenny and Simon Covney are offering to take voluntary 10% pay cuts, this crowd are undermining them too
    http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/feb/22/td-couple-double-claim-overnight-expenses/

Like pigs in a trough, ME! ME! ME! :D:D

• Advertisement

ceegee wrote: »
    Their future earning potential is important because it explains WHY other countries can offer lower salaries to their heads of state: if they werent there would the US president accept that wage?

To use sports as an analogy, its kind of like the Olympics, they dont need to offer prize money to attract pro's because winning a medal increases the athletes market value more than any paycheck other events can offer.

Well, Bertie Monorail Ahernia volleyed his Olmypic medal off the feckin roof of Anglo Irish, through the windows of the Mahon tribunal and into the Irish sea, and he still seems to be cleaning up lecturing to South Central America, with a miserly 140k pension to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

That's great logic. No point any individual paying more tax then, as their inidividual contribution is almost nothing when you look at the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

And rather than ignore it, the Taoiseach's salary is an example of waste, and can be reduced. There are many example's like this, e.g. too many Junior Ministers etc, etc. When you put them all together it adds up to a lot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

donaghs wrote: »
    And rather than ignore it, the Taoiseach's salary is an example of waste, and can be reduced. There are many example's like this, e.g. too many Junior Ministers etc, etc. When you put them all together it adds up to a lot.
    Yes, I believe that the ridiculous amount of junior ministers is unconstitutional. There's a reason the Constitution places a maximum of 15 on the member of government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

taconnol wrote: »
    Yes, I believe that the ridiculous amount of junior ministers is unconstitutional. There's a reason the Constitution places a maximum of 15 on the member of government.

which is?

I don't think it was t save a few euro during recessionary times somehow

Advertisement