Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No menu, but only in work.

Options
  • 11-03-2009 11:21am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Same on at least two computers. Tried in FF (3.07)and IE7 on my computer (XP Pro) . Tried in Ubuntu as well. Only clue is that in IE, it does report an error
    Line: 96
    Char: 1
    Error: 'menuname' is undefined
    Code: 0
    URL: http://www.boards.ie

I suppose some would say get back to work... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I suspect a proxy caching problem.

Try hitting Ctrl + F5 a number of times and see if it goes away. Is it only today or always?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thanks, I have a lovely menu all over again. I had deleted my cache before on the computer (at least I thought I did), so thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What happens here is that your workplace are routing all internet traffic through a proxy. The proxy does what it says on the tin - your browser says, "Hey proxy, give me showthread.php from boards.ie!". The proxy obliges but also keeps a copy of this file itself in case you need it again. If you ask for it again, it already has a copy, it doesn't need to go get it from boards again.

This is why it was happening with all of your browsers - the proxy had a corrupt copy stored and every time the browser asked for it, the proxy provided the corrupt copy instead of a fresh one from boards. Ctrl + F5 tells the browser (who in turn tells the proxy) to go fetch a fresh copy from boards.

Advertisement