Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma or Tamron - Help me choose

• 11-03-2009 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Hi there all,
    I'm fairly new to this photography game and looking to upgrade from the kit lens I got with my Canon 400D.

I think I've narrowed it down to two contenders:

1. The Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5

2. The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

They're both around the same price (Tamron a little more expensive) and I've read good reviews of both. Can anyone say anything to help me choose?

At the moment I'm leaning slightly towards the Sigma on the basis of the slight extra length at the tele end.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

I've heard only good things about the tamron
    never got any feedback (good or bad) on the sigma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Knowing nothing of either lens specifically:

From my on-line reading Tamron seem to be better at matching the Canon connectivity between the lens and the body. It seems that more of the Sigma lenses suffer from ageing.

Personally, that and the f2.8 throughout the focal range would swing me in favour of the Tamron. Though if focal length is important to you and the aperture doesn't drop off too steeply e.g. the f2.8 drops down a stop at 25/30mm the Sigma may be the better bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you're going to pay that much for the Tamron, why not consider the Sigma 18-50 2.8 macro lens. I had one before and I miss it so much. Sharp, fast, REALLY close focusing if you wanted it to and so versatile. I think Borderfox on here had one before too if I remember correctly (?). I had mine for about a year before going full frame and selling it to a guy in work who still uses it.

I shot all these with it:

440101667_ff0c1a5457_o.jpg

440109993_3dccb6c15e_o.jpg

500048725_79d2237e35_o.jpg

500466776_40046d029e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

have the 17-70 Sigma myself. It's very good value for the money. sharp and reasonably well built- big improvement over the kit lens. I have seen very good reviews of the Tamron so I think it comes down to whether you value the constant 2.8 aperture over the extra reach of the Sigma. It really depends on where your priorities lie- both good lenses though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 was a fantastic lens and after going from 1.6 crop I sold it to Elven

• Advertisement
Advertisement