Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yellow bellied sliders

Options
  • 11-03-2009 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

anyone with info in lookin after these guys let me know pleae.i have just gotten two of them from someone who lost interest and to be honest hadnt got them set up right.had no basking light and their dry dock wasnt 100% dry for them when they did come out.basically the tank was too small and too much water in it. i am in the process of building a large pond in the back garden for them.they are one year old and about 5 inches long each female is a little bigger and i am just hoping that a year with no basking light has not damaged them too much!! like i said any info will be greatly recieved thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

I got great help from a guy on www.reptile-community.com. He is a total expert.
    Not sure you can put them straight outside so do your homework first before digging the trenches! Sounds like a great idea though.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bosshog66

ah no it will not be till summer when i put them out in the pond and at that i dont even know if i will leave them in it all the time.i want to get it built so can leave it to settle and also put some biggish fish in too.they are really deadly lads and have already made friends with out two dogs ha ha.the staffy just ignores them now but the little terrier is still fascinated by them.did i read a post from you that you gave some away at some stage?do you still keep some?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Yes I rehomed them and that guy I mentioned above v kindly took them for me. He has an indoor pond about 8ft square with a land dock. He rescues and rehomes turtles and reptiles.

The problem I had was that they grew so big and I had upgraded their tank twice to accommodate them. One was the size of a small dinner plate!

I was really sorry to part with them but they will have a great life with him. It took me about 6 months to find the right place for them. A lot of people offered to take them but they would just have been going from one tank to another.

Your set up sounds ideal. You do know they will probably eat the fish though!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bosshog66

ah ye i am gonna put in big gold fish so not too expensive and if the lads are good/quick enough to catch them then so be it they deserve it ha ha ha.they tank they are in is just not big enough so im gonna build a new one anyway about four foot long and two foot wide easily enough made and will be fine till they go outside.

Advertisement