Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which to choose - Smart or UPC

Options
  • 11-03-2009 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm about to move into a house in Dublin which has access to most broadband providers. I had come to the conclusion that either smart or upc were the best if you could get them (price wise and rest).

Smart seam a little better as they have no contention and no limit and they don't seam to care what you download. UPC are €8 cheaper but are ten meg as compared to four. There both unlimited but with upc there's contention.

Anyone have them/had them both??? any suggestions?

Comments

I actually do have them both in the one home.

My old man has 4Mb smart, never had any problems, speed always top notch, never had much down time, no contention.

I have UPC 20Mb, with good points(on the wall) good coax cables, split once, tv > modem, get around 20mb 95% of the time, slows down slightly from 6-10 pm, my area/estate did have the cable relayed by UPC last year, which may be why some areas are much better than others.

Download a good bit of stuff with no problems. letters or throttling.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Conchúr

So you reckon there both as good as each other? In that case, i suppose there's no point in paying the extra €8 for smart...

Cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Another point in favour of Smart is that they give excellent customer service via their on line forums and will give indivual attention to a line whereas such a level of customer servicie is way beyond any of the other isps particularly UPC.

That is true, if you get UPC and it works well as it does for me it will be brilliant.

If however you have problems, speed isnt too good you may find it tricky dealing with there Call centre, so untill its installed you may never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭j_lennon18

dub45 wrote: »
    Another point in favour of Smart is that they give excellent customer service via their on line forums and will give indivual attention to a line whereas such a level of customer servicie is way beyond any of the other isps particularly UPC.

+1

You can get great support from their online forums. They will test and tweek an individual line so you can get the best experience. I did it for better gaming speeds. Nice admins there. :)

By the way that 4mb package on smart will be 5mb download / 384Kbps upload for an extra 1.50 compared to the current price. This will happen on April 1st. I got a letter this morning about it (There is a Thread in here about it too).

So if i was you, if you download alot and want consistant speeds, go with Smart. If not, then UPC is much better value. Im tempted to switch to UPC but my experience with Smart is great so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dub45 wrote: »

And Eircom.:p

Advertisement