Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool (Sat, 14th March @ 12.45)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

Ace2007 wrote: »
    so what was it - just a great liverpool or a very bad united - more people here say it was a bad united performance...
    Do u not listen to Dunphy on cl night? Liverpool dont play well, the other team always play sh1t.

A big game for livespool after the champions league is just what the doctor ordered for them as it keeps them fired up. If they had to face spurs or stoke today, they would probably lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This is the wake up call Utd badly needed.
    They have been lulled into a false sense of belief in their superiority this season.
    Papers and media building them up with talks of a clean sweep.
    They have become over reliant on their defence to win matches for them and the midfield/attack haven't been up to scratch this season.
    The free flowing attacking football they are famous for has been sadly missing this season.
    In years gone by Utd would create chance after chance and have 12-15 shots on target a match.
    They have been grinding out results this season and never looked convincing to me.
    Might be the best thing to happen.
    (Plus this result might ensure Benitez gets a new contract and ensure Liverpools Premiership drought continues)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

roryc wrote: »
    By the way what is with Andy Gray? He has never annoyed me before but I literally had to mute the last 10 minutes due to his man crush on Torres. At first it was just slightly annoying but after the 30th "this boy is a star, he's the real deal, Torres is such a beautiful player... etc etc etc", I had to mute the TV. Torres is one of the best strikers in the world atm, but ffs! For most of the second half he was just going on and on and on....

I'm so glad the internet has given us the option of watching these games without having to listen to Andy Gray. Torres had a very good half but was very quiet most of the second. I still think he's not back to full fitness but his 'moments' tend to be lethal.

United were poor alright but it had to happen some time after the run they've had.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Craft25 wrote: »
    Straight red for Vidic aswell - sickener, he's gonna be a huge miss!! for 3 games?

1 I'd imagine nothing malicious just a profesional foul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah congrats Liverpool

They defended well, and their star players did their damage(Dossena is now a star)

Hopefully it's a reality check for the players as we approach the end of the season.

Ref was great today to. No complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

m83 wrote: »
    come on united! easy win!

Yep so easy you only really had 3 real chances and one of them was a pen
    PHB wrote: »
    Gona throw it out there, I predict a United riot :)

:D:D:D
    Stats aren't everything :rolleyes:

But the Main one Manchester United 1 - 4 Liverpool
    Des wrote: »
    Pena....should have been tbh

That was never a pen
    kryogen wrote: »
    should VDS not have eh......dived.....or just kinda pretended to make an effort to get to it?

Was great freekick he had no chance
    Daysha wrote: »
    One of the worst, if not the worst performance I've seen from United in the last 10 years.
    Het-Field wrote: »
    I am struggling to remember as poor a United performance in a long time. For one of the Premiership's strongest ever center halfs, Vidic had a 3/10 game.

His red card mattered little as United looked beaten, and never really threatened Reina's goal after Stevie G's penalty.

This type of defeat could have serious reprecussions for Man Utds mindset
    Charlie wrote: »
    Neutral's POV here.

Liverpool played well, deserved the win, but not a 4-1 route. United we're shocking at the back today. Every goal was a direct result of woeful defending/keeping. Thing is, when United came to SJP, they looked quite shakey at the back also, just Newcastle didn't have the men to punish them for it.

Also, poor from from United 'fans' leaving the stadium half empty before the game was finished. That's when your team needs you FFS.
    Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Absolute pish today but I suppose a bad spell was gonna have to come sooner or later just hope this is the end of it.
    Wow... congrats Liverpool... had the chance to go to this match, glad I didn't!

That second half performance was easily the worst I have ever seen a United team perform... ever. I've been watching United for 20 years or so, easily the worst team wide performance I have ever witnessed... absolutely shocking.

Evra, Vidic and to a lesser extent Carrick, three of Uniteds best players this season, all absolutely woeful. Especially Evra, his head just wasn't in the game at all tonight. Defensively they were absolute sh*t... just terrible. Liverpool could have had 5 or 6.

Still had a chance before the sending off, but if that wasn't bad enough, I'm still extremely confused as to why Van der Sar decided to start making a move towards the ball when the free kick was taken, then simply stop??? Looks like he could definitely have gotten to it :confused:

Once that went inthey totally gave up, every single player. Don't think I've ever seen this from a United team before. Totally and utterly gave up.

By the way what is with Andy Gray? He has never annoyed me before but I literally had to mute the last 10 minutes due to his man crush on Torres. At first it was just slightly annoying but after the 30th "this boy is a star, he's the real deal, Torres is such a beautiful player... etc etc etc", I had to mute the TV. Torres is one of the best strikers in the world atm, but ffs! For most of the second half he was just going on and on and on....

One good thing to take from tonight is that United were so soundly hammered that they should (hopefully!) walk the next game. Makes the League that bit more interesting anyway!
    A7X wrote: »
    Disgracefull. Im unbelieveably disgusted with the players.

Vidic is such a great player and has had a great season, Why oh why does he have to completely fcuk up today of all days. His sending off just ended the game totally.

I think O'Shea shud change his name to Oh Sheasus cause thats what i find myself saying whenever hes on the ball.

Ronaldo did nothing at all, created nothing apart from that cross to the back post to Rooney.

Why does Rooney play out as a winger? We need him in the centre to create plays. He's useless out on the wing cause he doesnt get the ball as much.

The only player that played well and the best to his abilities was Park IMO.

I could say sumtin about all the players but no point.

I just can't believe this. Liverpool did play well and fair play to them but that is a game we should have won.

I know we were losing 3-1 at this stage but seeing the fans leave early really annoyed me. The players need those fans behind them the whole time regardless.

4-1... we better come back from this.

And here we go again Liverpool win against another big team, and only win cause the other team played crap, no credit as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Straight red for Vidic aswell - sickener, he's gonna be a huge miss!! fro 3 games?

:D:D:D:D:D

Wont 2nd red of season mean an extra game off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

That was never a pen

And here we go again Liverpool win against another big team, and only win cause the other team played crap, no credit as usual
    FFS take your win and quit complaing about what other fans think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Apart from the first 10-15 minutes of the second half liverpool were the better team. Granted it was VERY close but once vidic got sent off it was all us. Brilliant stuff. Such a shame the draws with the smaller clubs will probably cost us the league but still today is all about the result. Fantastic.

And that was without our arbeloa and Alonso. Fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

If this is your honest analysis of these comments then you need help my friend. I'm not really sure what I can do to make you see the credit many posters are giving Liverpool....

However, If you need it spelled out for you....

LIVERPOOL PLAYED EXCELLENT

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

"Champions of Europe. Champions of the world and we came here and wiped the floor with them"

- Stevie G.

Real Madrid 10th March 09.

Manchester United 14th March 09.

Owned home and away.

Woooooooooo

• Subscribers Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

"Champions of Europe. Champions of the world and we came here and wiped the floor with them"

- Stevie G.

Where is that quote from? the post match interview on sky he said nothing like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

A slight point but the final result has had a pretty big impact in terms of goal difference.

Before the game Utd's GD was +36 with Liverpool's GD at +25.
    Now it's Utd +33 and Liverpool at +28.
    Gone from a gap of eleven to a gap of five.

Also Chelsea's GD is +32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

If this is your honest analysis of these comments then you need help my friend. I'm not really sure what I can do to make you see the credit many posters are giving Liverpool....

However, If you need it spelled out for you....

LIVERPOOL PLAYED EXCELLENT
    That they did, undeniable there is no excuse for how we played either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

eh read my post properly maybe. I said Well done to liverpool they played well, but we should have won. Not won because of the way we played but because we should have won the actually match because it was a must win IMO.

All the goals liverpool scored came from United mistakes and you can't get away from that. Yis didnt play amazingly, we played much and the pool capitalised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If next weekends good to us chelsea are right back in it.

Chong wrote: »
    That they did, undeniable there is no excuse for how we played either.

True... as I said it is possible the worst performance I have ever seen from a United team, although this is taking nothing away from Liverpool.

Ref had a great game too (how often can you say that?)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That was never a pen

knock it off, your team loses and you think about how they played, you don't care about the team that beat them. We played ok and beat them well, but we didn't exactly have to set the world alight to do so. Utd fans have every right to look at their faults.

What do you expect people to say? Liverpool were magic and we played our very best but still lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Absolutely sickened about the result. Really put a dampener on my weekend but I have to congratulate Liverpool. They played us off the park.

I must say when I saw the team sheet I was concerned about Anderson starting and I felt he had a really poor first-half. He was hassled and hurried off the ball repeatedly. I've been a big fan of Carrick this season but like mid-week against Inter, today he was really poor. When you don't win the midfield battle you are always going to struggle. I thought United gave the ball away far too easily much like the Inter game. It played right into Liverpool's hands.

Torres was superb. Vidic had a nightmare today and I wouldn't have expected that and I think Torres played a big part.

Ultimately every goal Liverpool scored happened due to United's sloppiness. Vidic losing out to Torres, Evra (who was poor as well) clumsily tripping Gerrard, Vidic fouling Gerrard and giving away a free-kick (and getting deservedly sent off) and at the end Rio failing to deal with the through ball for the fourth.

That's two poor games in a row and unlike mid-week we didn't get away with it. Liverpool's plan worked so fair play to them.

While United have lost the battle I still think ultimately they will win the war. Hopefully this will act as a wake-up call. Maybe the boys were buying into their own hype a little bit. It reminds me a bit of last season when City came to Old Trafford for the Munich memorial game and deservedly beat us. United bounched back from that. We need to do the same this season. What's clear though is that we won't have things all our own way and there will be a few twists and turns yet.

Today was a humbling without a doubt and perhaps that was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

mayordenis wrote: »
    1 I'd imagine nothing malicious just a profesional foul

but it was straight red right? thats automatic 3 game, unless i've lost my mind completely - he might get it reduced at FA panel appeal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just heard that that was Unitid's worst defeat since 1992? Is that true?

We need to show up in every competition now. Perferably the league so we draw on titles wit the pool

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just heard that that was Unitid's worst defeat since 1992? Is that true?

Worst at home.

yep vs QPR... someone got a hat-trick i think.

Could possibly be worst defeat in OT though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Liverpool took their chance today and fair dues.

United have some work to do in training this week that's for sure. It's horrible to lose by such a margin but hopefully that'll do wonders for any complacency that we might have shown this week. The last time we lost to our major rivals was an under-par performace at the emirates and we followed that with a 13 game unbeaten run.

Fair play Liverpool on the day, but hopefully this will waken United up so we can go ahead and take the league with every ounce of drive and determination that is required - something I think we've lacked of late.

• Advertisement

It was a great play by Liverpool i was just saying that as usual on here Liverpool beat another top team and of couse everyone says the goals came from sloppy mistakes.

As someone else said if you look at every goal score more or less all of them come from mistakes.

Liverpool apart from the first 15 mins of the 2nd half were the better team. They dedicated the play and stopped Ronaldo and United had no other real threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

think his name was Bailey

It was a great play by Liverpool i was just saying that as usual on here Liverpool beat another top team and of couse everyone says the goals came from sloppy mistakes.

Thats because they did come form sloppy mistakes. You actually can't say any different.
    As someone else said if you look at every goal score more or less all of them come from mistakes.
    Well yes but not to the same extent that were talking about here.
    Liverpool apart from the first 15 mins of the 2nd half were the better team. They dedicated the play and stopped Ronaldo and United had no other real threat.

I didn't say any different and as far as I can see no other United fan did either. BUT Liverpool weren't amazing at all. They have played better. Even Rafa said it, not that he's ever happy with Liverpool's display.

United played disgracefully and Liverpool played consistantly well throughout the game and capitalised.

NO in fairness, i've been sick of liverpool fans every year say "this time it's the resurrection"

but this year they've done it against all the big guns, and comfortably so at times! if youse could cut out the silly draws, maybe have someone there so you don't miss FT so much when he's out.. then youse would begin to look super scary threat to everyone!

nice going so far though, this run-in is hotting up, hope it doesnt peter out!!
    United still have arsenal & city dont they!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Boss demands a response
    Sir Alex Ferguson rued defensive errors that cost United against Liverpool, but the Reds boss refused to castigate Nemanja Vidic and said his side will now do only one thing: respond.

United have become accustomed to having things their own way at Old Trafford this season, so defeat – and 4-1 to our fiercest rivals – sticks in the throat. “It’s a hard one to take,” admitted the boss. “But at this club it’s always about how you respond to a defeat. When you lose a game: respond. And that is what we will do.”

Vidic made an error for Liverpool’s first goal, and his second-half sending off for a foul on Steven Gerrard led to their third goal on the way to an embarrassing loss. But Sir Alex wasn’t sticking the boot in. “Nemanja has been unbelievably consistent for us with his performances this season,” he said. “Players do have off days, and he’s made a mistake. He’s a human being, all players make mistakes. It’s just a costly one for us.”

The United boss didn’t have any complaints about the Serbian’s sending off. “It looked as if [Gerrard] was clear to have a shot at goal, whether Rio could have got across, I don’t know. I don’t think I could really argue with the decision to be honest. We’d have been looking for a red card if it was against us.

“It was just one of these days, we made uncharacteristic mistakes. In big games you don’t want to be doing that. If you see the consistency over the last two years with our defending, you don’t expect it. Neither did the players. But quite rightly if you win 4-1 at Old Trafford you deserve all the plaudits, you can’t deny Liverpool that.

“But if the league was starting today, you’d take a four-point advantage with a game in hand. The goal difference is narrowed, it’s only five goals now. It was a bad day, but we have to kick on now. It was a bad day in terms of the goals we lost.”

• Advertisement

United still have arsenal & city dont they!?

Yup but at home...although... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Most certainly is the worst defeat at old trafford. Everybody forgetting Newcastle. Well today reminded me if that. Even down to chip for the last goal.

The better team won today, and the game made me sick.

That's all I'll say, congrats to pool, I'm off to get drunk and watch Ireland. Hopefully one of them will make me feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

There cant be one liverpool fan out there who honestly thinks they will beat united?! in their haert and head and being a football fan they know they wont beat united! best they can hope for is a draw! Simple.

Unlucky pal!!! Unlucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

A friend of mine, major UTD fan turned to me at the start and said that UTD were assured of winning, as Vidic would have both Gerrard and Torres in his pocket all game.
    I told him that it'd come back to haunt him.

He's gone home now, wouldn't stay out for the day!:D

Most certainly is the worst defeat at old trafford. Everybody forgetting Newcastle. Well today reminded me if that. Even down to chip for the last goal.

The better team won today, and the game made me sick.

That's all I'll say, congrats to pool, I'm off to get drunk and watch Ireland. Hopefully one of them will make me feel better.

And Southhampton wasn't it, straight after?

Newcastle 5-0 Utd, followed by Southampton 6-3 Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

RONNAALDOOOO!!!

Get in!!!

Here's a stat... 49 times Ronaldo has scored at Old Trafford and every time they have won!

Like Des said, stats can mean **** all!!

joe123 wrote: »
    Love the celebration from gerrard. Uniteds defence cant handle Torres. Come on Liverpool!

You mean this

w0ta9x.jpg

I will say that for the peno Gerrard had gone past evra and he had no real choice but to take him down - so not really an error
    for the Free kick and sending off again it was great movement from Gerrard and Vidic was left with take him down or let him score - Those 2 aren't really defensive errors

The Doss goal - not much of an error there either ball over the top ye were a man down at the back we had men forward doss lobs vds - ye can say it was only errors but Again Gerrard forced yer hand for 2 of them - you could say enforced errors.

Man Utd fans won't accept that I'm sure and will say that it was all of yet own making, but that's just petty.

To be honest, most UTD fans have held up their hands and admitted both times this season that Liverpool deserved to win.
    There's been a bit of "we only won because we played badly", but on the whole it's been honest.

Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

You mean this

w0ta9x.jpg

There's a United fan, wearing colours, taking a photo of Liverpool players celebrating a goal...:rolleyes:

Hope he enjoyed his trip to the Megastore.

• Advertisement

A7X wrote: »
    Yup but at home...although... :(

oh yeah fortress Old Traffo... oh wait where were they today?

To be honest, most UTD fans have held up their hands and admitted both times this season that Liverpool deserved to win.
    There's been a bit of "we only won because we played badly", but on the whole it's been honest.

Fair play.

it's true they've been more gracious in defeat than we are mostly but jeez this liverpool only one cause X team were ****e needs to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Stevie G and Rafa post-match interview with BBC

Liverpool's best result at OT since 1936 according to it:eek:

Also Stevie G must read Boards as when asked about Torres he said "He's magic. I know I'm going to be biased but I don't think anyone will argue against me that he is the best striker in the world.

Also Rafa confirms Nando not fully fit.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/match_of_the_day/7943860.stm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/match_of_the_day/7943866.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

speaking of stats, that was only the 9th time this season in the league that gerrard and torres started together for liverpool and just the 12th time torres started a league game this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

There's a United fan, wearing colours, taking a photo of Liverpool players celebrating a goal...:rolleyes:

there is more than one, i spot 3

mayordenis wrote: »
    it's true they've been more gracious in defeat than we are mostly but jeez this liverpool only one cause X team were ****e needs to stop.

The media shoulder a lot of that blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

rossie1977 wrote: »
    there is more than one, i spot 3

good eyes

really dumb-bastards

there nearly as bad as the banana costume fans or the up the dub fan(printed on his shirt)

at least theres one proper fan giving him the fingers!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

at least theres one proper fan ging him the fingers!! :D

That's me at Spurs...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Just joining the thread now so only one thing to be said just in case anyone hasn't already posted it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZTP8-8wIs

Only for Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill etc. insert SAF, Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney and Gary Neville, definitely Gary Neville.

Pity is this just highlights how much we messed up the challenge this season. Should have been winning the league today with that victory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement