Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool (Sat, 14th March @ 12.45)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Its days like today that make you think how silly it is to follow a football team.....and theres days like last May in Moscow when JT slipped on his hole that make you think how great it is.
    Amazing, the contrast between the emotions.....anyway well done Pool on giving United the humongous, grand canyon-sized root up the hole that they so badly needed and deserved. Hopefully this embarrassment will be a distant memory when the honours are being handed out in May :)

Gotta say Torres scared me midweek against Real and he played out my nightmare today......dont think any defender could live with him these days

My brother, a pool fan, nearly catapulted me thru the ceiling from all his jumping up and down on the sofa when Evra hacked down Gerrard.....and the whole thing almost reminded me of England 5-1 Germany from a few years back....except it was like watching it all in stomach churning slow motion, and with involvement!

At least my sick stomach has passed now, posting on Boards is so theraputic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That was fantastic... what a week!! It was been called a make or break week and Liverpool really stood up to do challenge!

I'm after reading all the pages now and i don't understand how some people think that liverpool wouldn't have one if it weren't for defensive mistakes!
    The majority of goals are scored from mistakes or are just wonder goals..

Great performances from torres, macsh, aurielo and hyypia. Skrtel was excellent too.. I'm fairly happy for lucas today too.. he had a decent game

Probably the best week of the season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Have to say Liverpool were good today but so surprised at the fact that it was Vidic and Evra that let us down. It's fair to expect Rio and O'Shea to make some kind of mistakes but not the other two. Well done Liverpool.

On another point it was disgusting to see Old Trafford emptying like that, really shows up that side of our support base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Like Arsenal 2 years ago and City last year today is not a great day to be a United fan. But like those before it all I could think was let them have their day, come May this will just be a sour foot note on another title win. :(

(I really want United to draw the pool next Friday though ... fingers crossed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

ShooterSF wrote: »

Friday just cant come quickly enough for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

over two legs thus far ye'd be headin out of the champs league 6-2 - sure ye want us? :pac:

mayordenis wrote: »
    over two legs thus far ye'd be headin out of the champs league 6-2 - sure ye want us? :pac:

Every ounce of me (Of course I'd hope we win) I just want a chance to overturn the result as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,309 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Like Arsenal 2 years ago and City last year today is not a great day to be a United fan. But like those before it all I could think was let them have their day, come May this will just be a sour foot note on another title win. :(

id say liverpool are the last team you want over a 2 legged euro tie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well what a surprise that was! Liverpool fully deserved the win. Torres was a meance throughout and Dossena's goal was just quality.

On a sour note, I watched the game in a local boozer. When United scored a young fella no more than 20 celebrated to himself with his oul lad. A couple of gee eyed Scousers for some reason took offence to this and went up and actually punched the kid in the head. I was shocked. Then when Torres scored the equaliser one of the fat Socuse idiots went up and tipped his pint over the young fella who had already moved to another part of the bar.

Within 5 minutes the the bloke and his da had called it a night and gone home. Bouncers did nothing. I realise football is important to a lot of people, myself included, but when it turns people into scum like that it makes me wonder sometimes.

Anyway, congrats to Liverpool, though I still think the title is heading to OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Cyrus wrote: »

It could work for and against utd tbh

for me I want an easier tie in the CL (porto or villareal)

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

I agree there are much easier ties out there and the Pool can play a great game of football, Im not knocking them when I say it. I just think United can have anyone on their day and I'd love if we got another shot at Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

There's a United fan, wearing colours, taking a photo of Liverpool players celebrating a goal...:rolleyes:

Hope he enjoyed his trip to the Megastore.

That sickens me. Id give anything to be there for that match, Staying till the very end, singing every song and giving Gerrard the fingers. But there's idiots like that man taking up seats.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    On a sour note, I watched the game in a local boozer. When United scored a young fella no more than 20 celebrated to himself with his oul lad. A couple of gee eyed Scousers for some reason took offence to this and went up and actually punched the kid in the head. I was shocked. Then when Torres scored the equaliser one of the fat Socuse idiots went up and tipped his pint over the young fella who had already moved to another part of the bar.

Disgusting behaviour. I watched the match with a mate who is a pool supporter and we were both laughing at the idiocy of the Pool fans sitting behind us, "Cntuts this, **** that" the whole way through the match.

It's sh!te like that which often makes me realise why so many of my mates have nearly completely given up and soccer and drifted into supporting Rugby and GAA exclusively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Disgusting behaviour. I watched the match with a mate who is a pool supporter and we were both laughing at the idiocy of the Pool fans sitting behind us, "Cntuts this, **** that" the whole way through the match.

There's a huge difference between Fing and Bing out of you, and hitting somebody a smack.

bigkev49 wrote: »

It's sh!te like that which often makes me realise why so many of my mates have nearly completely given up and soccer and drifted into supporting Rugby and GAA exclusively.

I really was sickened. Normally I just ignore a bit of light hearted slagging but I actually felt like goin up and laying this one guy out. It was an embarrassment to all the good Liverpool supporters out there.

The funny thing was they kept trying to sing the Torres chant every few minutes but only knew the 'Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number 9' line. Hadn't a breeze of the rest of the words, but knew enough to shout at Rooney to 'Fuck off an die'. Can't beat real fans :rolleyes:

I really was sickened. Normally I just ignore a bit of light hearted slagging but I actually felt like goin up and laying this one guy out. It was an embarrassment to all the good Liverpool supporters out there.

The funny thing was they kept trying to sing the Torres chant every few minutes but only knew the 'Fernando Torres, Liverpool's number 9' line. Hadn't a breeze of the rest of the words, but knew enough to shout at Rooney to 'Fuck off an die'. Can't beat real fans :rolleyes:

Where was this? Not the exact pub but just location like?

A7X wrote: »
    Where was this? Not the exact pub but just location like?

Australia....

There's a huge difference between Fing and Bing out of you, and hitting somebody a smack.

Fully understand that, but it was all we heard through the match. Laughable to us but there was a few elderly people nearby and a bit of restraint would have been more nice, not in terms of volume but rather the type of language used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Australia....

Well that has nothing to change my overall opinion of Australia..

The account you provided sounds disgraceful though. F'ing and cursing is one thing but anything else is just wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The account you provided sounds disgraceful though. F'ing and cursing is one thing but anything else is just wrong.

agreed, not sure what it has to do with the match or this thread though.

• Advertisement

But they weren't Aussies, they were actual POM Scousers.

copacetic wrote: »
    agreed, not sure what it has to do with the match or this thread though.

Cause it happened during the match....

But they weren't Aussies, they were actual POM Scousers.

Am only messing now but the British did send the lowest of the low over back in the day.. Maybe they are continuing to do it on the sly?

Anyway, shambolic behavior thankfully something I have never witnessed..

• Subscribers Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Cause it happened during the match....

Oh right, I thought the thread was actually about the game. Not random events throughout the world that happened around the same time. Silly me.

Oh right, I thought the thread was actually about the game. Not random events throughout the world that happened around the same time. Silly me.

Silly you indeed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

John Giles, Bill 'Well gentlemen, I have to say I was bored by that' O'Herlihy, Eamon Dunphy, Kenny Cunningham, Andy Gray, Ronnie Whelan, RAY HOUGHTON, Trevor Steven, Graeme Souness, Jim Beglin, Jamie Redknapp, Matt Le Tissier and Mark Lawrenson, your man-man marking, attacking, always try to win the game, non-cautious, big name winning everything boys took one hell of a beating.

If only you had the caution and discipline of the nobodies of Lucas, Kuyt, Dossena, Mascherano, Babel, Hyypia and Aurelio, you may have had a chance. Pity that. :)

Barcelona hammer Lyon, Liverpool hammer Madrid, Rovers come home, Rovers win in Tallaght and Manchester United 1-4 Liverpool..:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Man Utd 1, Liverpool 4 (Four)

Sweet ......

My mate in RTE says he heard that Dunphy lost a 5k bet on this one and was physically ill (vomitted) when Aurelio's goal hit the back of the net.

All I can say is:

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha ^100

redspider wrote: »

Sweet ......

My mate in RTE says he heard that Dunphy lost a 5k bet on this one and was physically ill (vomitted) when Aurelio's goal hit the back of the net.

All I can say is:

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha ^100

If thats true, then that is the only good thing that came of that match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

good to see redspider back :)
    and haha dunphy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If that true I'm even more happy, while Eammo is rarely on the Prem panel (if at all) if he was booked then he may have cried off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

redspider wrote: »

Sweet ......

All I can say is:

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha ^100

Really hope that's true. Where have you been redspider. I miss reading your analysis of matches and this is one I'd like to read :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I knew that Dunphy chap was lying when he said he put 50 euro at most on the nags over in Cheltenham.:pac:

On a sidenote, dreadful story Xavi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Just recovered from my nausea now....:(
    ahem well done liverpool

I doubt SAF would've taken out the hair dryer post match. Just listening to the celebrations in the other dressing room will be enough to make them sickened by their performance.

Hopefully it leaves a lasting impression. If it feels bad now, imagine how it would feel not picking up the trophy in may.

I read that Fergie reckons that they were the better team. That's made my day even better. The look on his face at full-time will stay with me for a long time.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_5050773,00.html

In fairness, him saying that they were the better team isn't really as retarded as you would think.. Liverpool defended resolutely and punished United for their errors.. As a Liverpool fan I am obviously delighted with the result but don't come away from it thinking anything other than the 1-4 scoreline being flattering.. We have been on the end of similar defeats and came away wondering wtf just happened.

I knew going into this match that we could win it. I also knew that going into virtually every match that we have played this season, including the ones we drew and lost. Nothing has changed regarding my opinion of our potential to win the league under Rafa after this result. Just as nothing changed after we drew or lost matches that we done more than enough to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Fascinating battle ahead between vidic,Ferdinand and torres, gerrard
    didnt think it would be that decisive:)
    vidic will never put in a performance like that again he still deserves player of the season.
    once again a terrific performance from the lads sammi was superb and once again aurelio was brilliant, we need to keep him fit.
    lucas was solid in midfield and deserves credit,carrick never had any influence in the game,how ronaldo is still on free kick duties i will never know.its very hard to savour this moment without reminiscing back to some silly draws.but if we can keep this form we will run utd close and will be hard to beat in europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

redout wrote: »
    Dossena - Riera. Benitez you negative bastard !

2 LBs is greedy.

:D:pac:
    Thats it Rafa, send Dossena on, that'll worry them

:D:pac:
    galwaydude wrote: »
    Great week for pool. Give rafa a new contract asap.

here, here.
    ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

spot on, although i thought Liverpool should have had a pen when Torres put the ball past Vidic & Mr Vidic turned into Tores, making no effort to play the ball & held onto Torres with two hands....but maybe i'm just being greedy :D

Fulham have been known to cause big teams problems at Craven cottage, as have Middlesborough at the Riverside, both games Utd have coming up...Vidic suspended....City,Arsenal,Villa,Spurs to play......hmmmmm.....this could get interesting yet ;)

Lucas deserves a big shout out today, he has been scapegoated this season to a horrific degree. Today confirmed what i already knew, he is a young player with all the ability in the world, he was every ounce as good as Anderson today, in fact better, as he has been most of the year....yet one is a world beater, and the other is a joke....beggars belief.

Aurelio again showed how good a player he is-if he can stay fit, he'll be one of the best around.

Hypia-one of the best Liverpool defenders of all time, which automatically makes him one of the best PL defenders of all time-wat a servant he has been to the club.

Torres-well.....when fit, best striker in the world. no questions for me.

Gerrard & mascherano-unreal.

Kuyt-excellent.

Pains me thinking of how different things could have been if Torres & Gerrard were fit more this year....today only being the 9th game they've started together.

Ps: Rafa is cracking up? Don't make me ****ing laugh. Well played Senor Benitez

Hopefully this match will stop all the pool fans giving out about ref's not giving Penalty decisions to the away teams at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A7X wrote: »
    Hopefully this match will stop all the pool fans giving out about ref's not giving Penalty decisions to the away teams at OT.
    Not me, we had one turned down and lost a point over it. :mad:

did he give an interview after the game?

Fergie cannot bear to conceed to Liverpool
    Despite the loss, leaders United still head their Merseyside rivals by four points and with a game in hand.

"It is a hard one to take because I thought we were the better team and the score does not reflect that," he said.

• Advertisement

Despite the loss, leaders United still head their Merseyside rivals by four points and with a game in hand.

"It is a hard one to take because I thought we were the better team and the score does not reflect that," he said.

oh ****ing please tell me he did not say that......

and Rafa is meant to be the one cracking up!?!?!

Oh god I hope he didn't say that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    oh ****ing please tell me he did not say that......

and Rafa is meant to be the one cracking up!?!?!

He's cracking up
    He's cracking up
    He's cracking
    Fergie's cracking up

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Speaking as a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't mind drawing United in Europe either.

Bury them and wreck their European campaign. :D

;)

Hmmmm beating them twice is one thing but I wouldn't be too confident beating them the one or two required times!!! I will be hoping that they draw Barca...

Off to watch the Prem on RTE 2. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

would love to trade todays victory to be in utds position its just a pity we cant play utd every week

RTE 2 now !!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

What was Tevez playing at for Gerrard's penalty whit his waving his arms around? Rather odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What was Tevez playing at for Gerrard's penalty whit his waving his arms around? Rather odd.

He was trying to direct vds where to dive

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement