Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool (Sat, 14th March @ 12.45)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Evans can be fielded in a rb position, can't he? would happily see him start over zinidene o'sea, any day. o'sea looked like a feckin liability last night, really should have been booked.

As for the game; 2-1 united, ronaldo (set up with a perfect pass from rooney) & vidic to get arrested for assault on a football with a powerfull header.

that boy torres to nick one, but too late to have any real impact ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Close match but United to shave it 2-0 or 2-1. Berbatov will start I reckon simply because he can do nothing for 90 mins and still score.

VDS
    JOS
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo----Carrick
    Anderson
    Park
    Rooney

Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

United to bring Pool back down to earth with a bang, and solidify the league as a "2 horse race".

My preferred team is:

VDS
    JOS
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Fletcher
    Carrick
    Anderson

Ronaldo----Tevez
    Rooney

Neil, in my opinion you have got the line up spot on. I fancy United to score two. Rooney and Tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

weemcd wrote: »
    Evans can be fielded in a rb position, can't he? would happily see him start over zinidene o'sea, any day. o'sea looked like a feckin liability last night, really should have been booked.

i think o'shakey could be a serious liability for saturday! having said that, evans hasnt played at rb so i dont think using the pool match as the acid test is all that good an idea!

i think as per usual this is gonna be an intence game, really fightin for every ball which is why i think tevez should start, i like berba but i think he was woeful against inter and we need a work horse like tevez out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

evans hasnt played at rb

I have seen Evans play at RB on at least one occasion this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dave! wrote: »

Any team news? Presumably Nando and Stevie G are back to full health now.

No grown man should ever, ever be called Nando. Especially by another man.

I propose an alternative: Frank Bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Des wrote: »
    I have seen Evans play at RB on at least one occasion this season.

yeah - he has moved into that position a few times later on in games. has played LB for NI too, and done well there. Would prefer to play an actual right back, would consider Eckersley if we had to, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

to put a positive spin on last nights performance,UTD wont perform that bad again, so bring on saturday

im agreeing with ShiverinEskimo it'll be

VDS
    JOS
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo----Carrick
    Anderson
    Park
    Rooney

Berbatov

Gerrard picked up a knock against R.Madrid according to ssn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

weemcd wrote: »
    i think o'shakey could be a serious liability for saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

2 - 2

Don't know why I just know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I agree with Neils line up apart from Tevez. Think Berbatov will start this game. No mid week game until the 7th of April. So we will have Liverpool then a week off, Fulham and the a week off. So I can't see too much rotation being done apart from two changes this weekend. With them being Scholes and Giggs.

VDS
    -O'Shea--Rio---Vidic--Evra
    Anderson
    ---Carrick
    Fletcher--
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Berbatov

I know the midfield looks a little weird there but I think one of Fletcher and Anderson will be asked to sit on Gerrards arse for the game. I'm just pluming for Anderson as I think he is less likely to wander off and get stuck in elsewhere if he is told to sit on Gerrard.

Flecther will be told to pressure Alonso, while Carrick will be told to pick up the gaps.

Defense picks itself unless we get a different right back fit. Can't see Evans coming into the side here.

Tevez has a chance to come in up top, but I can't see it happening. If it does I would prefer Rooney central and Carlos outside.

EDIT: Park could come in for Berbatov with either Rooney, or Ronaldo going central

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Boggles wrote: »

lol

alex up there for thinking down there for dancing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

if we base liverpools performance v madrid and uniteds v inter then i'm gonna go with 35 nil liverpool win.
    It'll prob be lik one all with two early goals making everyone think its gonna be a cracker and by half time we'll all be praying for Ireland v Scotland to start :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Boggles wrote: »

Thanks for refreshing my memory. That was a cruel cruel way for that game to end. United have had a few last minute win's over the pool in the last few years

Note to self - If Liverpool win like this go absolutely Mental...for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

stovelid wrote: »
    No grown man should ever, ever be called Nando. Especially by another man.

I propose an alternative: Frank Bull.
    I'm just gonna call him Sexy Bum, like Mr Alan does !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

This thread has gone all quite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's just cos Liverpool are sh*t

don't ban me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This thread has gone all quite

shhh, you might wake it.

once it wakes up properly there's no putting it back to sleep, and when its awake it gets very cranky very quickly.

i'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Really don't know what to expect from this game tbh :S

Hopefully we'll see;

VDS
    JOS
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Fletcher
    Anderson
    Park
    Rooney
    Tevez

We need to get stuck in in the midfield, Anderson and Fletch will do that moreso that Carrick will.

• Advertisement

70+ posts and its only Thursday. Can see a draw or pool maybe nicking it, depending on Rafas team. If Lucas starts United at a canter.

Best of luck with this thread Mods !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Are any Pool players suspended or missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Are any Pool players suspended or missing?

Usually about 9 of them at any given match. :D

redout wrote: »
    Usually about 9 of them at any given match. :D

Last time they met not many united players turned up, in fact they were completely outplayed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

rarnes1 wrote: »

What a player! Wish we had him now...in his prime that is:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm not sure I would give a **** about football without Fowler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Likely starting 11

Reina
    Arboloa--Carra-Skrtel--Aurelio
    Alonso--Masch
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Hmmmm
    Torres

Left wing berth is deffo open to question, Babel got a confidence booster against Real Madrid but as he had the whole left side of the pitch to run at, it was hardly a test. Riera is off the boil, Aurelio could play there, but so could goal scoring Dossena who has a decent cross on him at times. Benny injured so not him.

mike65 wrote: »
    Likely starting 11

Reina
    Alonso--Masch
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Hmmmm
    Torres

Left wing berth is deffo open to question, Babel got a confidence booster against Real Madrid but as he had the whole left side of the pitch to run at, it was hardly a test. Riera is off the boil, Aurelio could play there, but so could goal scoring Dossena who has a decent cross on him at times. Benny injured so not him.

Id go with Riera tbh, he had a great game against this crowd at Anfield. The break might have done him good. Its about time pool gave them a proper game at their place.

I agree with the rest of your team.

Its about time pool gave them a proper game at their place.

damn straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mike65 wrote: »
    Likely starting 11

Reina
    Alonso--Masch
    Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Hmmmm
    Torres

I would also swap Aurelio with Insua

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Forgot Insua is availible again :o If he's ready then he might start as Aurelio is usually nurseing something after a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ah yeah, Fowler scoring goals for once when he wasnt sniffin coke off the pitch

3-0 United with Gary Neville gettin a hat-trick from the stands :D

Ah yeah, Fowler scoring goals for once when he wasnt sniffin coke off the pitch

3-0 United with Gary Neville gettin a hat-trick from the stands :D

these sort of posts are the reason you either love or hate utd/pool game week.

just hilarious in so many ways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

hope aurelio is fit when he is he is top class thought he was motm on Tuesday night.
    Would imagine riera will start in what will be a tight affair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Holsten wrote: »

I would love it . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I see nothing but a Liverpool win here.
    A game against the big boys, they will be well up for it and bouyed about the result in midweek.
    Now if they were playing Stoke this weekend, Id be calling a draw, but they've been able to turn it on this year against the big boys.

A draw is all United will be after I reckon but I can see a 1-0 or 2-1 to the Pool. United have looked shakey at the back in the last couple of cames.

Either way, I dont see this game effecting the final desitination of the title. I think the Villa game will have more impact on Liverpools season than this one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Rooney has spoken of his hate for Liverpool. This game could be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i will say this much right now about the game, if liverpool come out of the traps with such ferocity like they had against madrid and if united still show signs of complacency liverpool will be ahead within 10 minutes...

the team simply cannot allow themselves to play as poorly as they did against inter, we need to raise our game considerably

Liverpool have it all to play for, the confidence will be sky high and they know they have to win to have any shot at the league

We have got to rise to the challenge and finish their title bid at OT but we must play to the best of our ability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I just hope theres no complacency from United with a 'We're practically 10 pts ahead, we can lose this game if we like' attitude, there was certainly a good few players who took their foot off the gas on weds nite....I almost wish they were level on pts!! Would give the game a lot more bite

And some ppl are saying this is gonna be a cracker...but has that happened recently??....not since that kamikazi 3-3 draw 15 yrs ago!

Edit: I see an obvious progression here in this fixture...
    2005/06 - 1-0 United
    2006/07 - 2-0 United
    2007/08 - 3-0 United
    2008/09 - ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I can't believe people are waving around the word complacency on the eve of utd v liverpool

united didn't get complacent against milan they got nervous

this is a completely different ball game we're 7 pts ahead with a game in hand and liverpool could be potentially 13 pts behind only weeks after been well out in front

win,lose or draw for united and it doesn't really mean anything, liverpool coming to old trafford and have to come out and play from the get go no sitting back for 85 minutes and the odd pounce on the break like at away to real.

i just hope liverpool do start like they did against real and play right into our hands...muwahahahha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

only1stevo wrote: »

Win, lose or draw tomorrow Man Utd will be Premier League Champions yet again. YNWTL!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

who put the ball in the scousers net

Johnny John O Shea!

the man from the deise!

And i hate fanzone, and those accents/carry on etc gets right up my nostrils. And Ive bad enough sinus problems as it is thanks very much

Also, I think Ferguson named a team on Wednesday with an eye on this one.

The team did just enough to go through on Wednesday, against a fairly poor Inter Milan side.

However, if United play like they did on Wednesday, then I can see a draw.

There is no way, no way, Rafa Benitez will send out a team tomorrow to attempt to go all guns blazing at United. He'd be a fool to, and Rafa is no fool.

He will play the containing game, probably have the majority of posession and hope to nick a 1-0 like in Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Manchester United have defended their decision to take Wayne Rooney's controversial comments about Liverpool off their official website.

Immediately after Wednesday night's Champions League triumph over Inter Milan, Rooney was interviewed by United's in-house TV station MUTV and went public with his long-held 'hatred' for Liverpool, who come to Old Trafford for a vital Premier League game tomorrow.

'I have always hated Liverpool and that's not changed,' said Rooney, before going on to claim that if United were to win this weekend, Rafael Benitez's men would be out of the title race.

As a boyhood Everton fan and a current United player, Rooney's views are hardly a surprise.

The England striker is mercilessly taunted by supporters of the Anfield outfit whenever he plays them and has responded with various gestures which do not hint at a lessening of opinion from either side.

While the interview has not been broadcast because MUTV were covering a reserve team game - against Liverpool - in Warrington last night, the quotes were obtained by United's official website and posted yesterday afternoon.

When the nature of Rooney's comments was pointed out to Red Devils officials, the decision was quickly taken to remove them.

However, they had already been picked up by other news outlets and broadcast around the world.

Nevertheless, United insist they took the right stance.

'In advance of the game we felt this was the best option,' said a club spokesman.

'The comments are open to wilful mis-reporting and neither the club, nor Wayne wanted that to happen.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0313/rooneyw.html

Good man Wazza, Stoke the fire I say.

redout wrote: »
    'The comments are open to wilful mis-reporting and neither the club, nor Wayne wanted that to happen.'

er...he said he hated Liverpool.

So bleedin what, he played for Everton, and now plays for United.

If he DIDN'T hate Liverpool there'd be something wrong with him.

He's SUPPOSED to hate Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

i think wednseday night was perfect in terms of an event to lead us into tomorrow...

- Utd play badly but win for the most part without over exerting themselves..
    - Were woefully complaicent/nervy perhaps(something that happens onyl once every dozen of games or so)
    - Fergie calls it as it is and even has a pop at his most "reliable" players

all of this sending the squad into saturday morning...

a) not F*kin wrecked from their midweek exploits
    b) based on trend, they wont play 2 such sloppy games in a row
    c) the players know how P*issed Ferguson was and at the very least will do a better job of keeping the p*xy ball and pressurising.

basically, i think Liverpool's confidence has been pumped by the result against madrid knowing that another high octane display may rattle united into mistakes. and under normal circumstances i belive this may have given them an edge going into tomorrow.

however, the way things have gone has kind of turned a negative(performance on wednesday) into a positive (incentive for tomorrow).
    yeah, i said it...playing sh*te on wednesday night has turned out to be a good thing imo.

with this in mind...utd ride an attempted early storm at the start of both halves...score a couple at the end of both halves...and maybe the ball bounces in off some part off Kuyt in the last 5 mins...

2-1 utd with goals from Vidic and ronaldo AGAIN.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement