Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool (Sat, 14th March @ 12.45)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I do have to laugh at people saying United will be complacent or go for the draw. This is Alex Ferguson's Man United at Old Trafford against the Pool. The guy see's Liverpool as our biggest rivals and has been open about his delight at beating Liverpool. There is no way Fergie will have that team anyway other than riled up and baying for a win.

With that siad I think it'll be a tight game. I'm going for 2-1 United, John O'Shea brace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Des wrote: »
    er...he said he hated Liverpool.

So bleedin what, he played for Everton, and now plays for United.

If he DIDN'T hate Liverpool there'd be something wrong with him.

He's SUPPOSED to hate Liverpool.

"Hate" is not a word that should be used by any professional sportsman in regards to one of his opponents/peers, and especially not by a football player. The message it sends to youngsters is overwhelmingly the wrong message to be giving. It smacks of a person with very little I.Q and a lack of professionalism and im not accusing wayne rooney of it either. He may well have those feelings but they should be kept beneath the radar of the public domain. There is enough hatred out in the real world without bringing it into a game/sport, that is one of the only things that unites people of different generations/religions/race's and class backgrounds etc.

Comments like these that do enter the public domain are reprehensible and should be treated as such by fans of all teams. We all love the game because it unites people, it does not discriminate/divide people due to the colour ot their skin, their religous beliefs, the amount of cash in their pocket. Hatred and all that it brings should be kept out of sport. I hope the game is a great sporting contest, im sure it will be and may the best team win etc etc. Personally, i draw the line at any notion of 'hatred' in sport, however it is packaged, its best left to the warmongers, religious fanatics and racist bigots as far as im concerned.

If you hate a team you hate a team. Personally the only thing I hate is PC bull**** "Won't someone think of the children" crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bleedin' Lefty Liberal bullshít, imo.

I hate certain teams.

Bohs, Pats, Rovers, Torpedo Fungal.

If I played for Shels, that wouldn't, COULDN'T change.

Rooney was brought up an Evertonian. OF COURSE he hates Liverpool.

Of course he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I do have to laugh at people saying United will be complacent or go for the draw. This is Alex Ferguson's Man United at Old Trafford against the Pool. The guy see's Liverpool as our biggest rivals and has been open about his delight at beating Liverpool. There is no way Fergie will have that team anyway other than riled up and baying for a win.

With that siad I think it'll be a tight game. I'm going for 2-1 United, John O'Shea brace.

no one said utd would be complaicent...what people MIGHT be refering to is fergusons common sense which he has shown in the past on numerous occassions...

while knowing a win could end liverpools chances, he knows a draw is unlikely to make any difference whatsoever...he would never send a team out to look for a draw at home...but he would send a team out against a fired up liverpool side to play a deep and cautious game knowing they dont HAVE to attack...the impetus is on liverpool, THEY need to win....and if utd dont lose, no one will remember the result...just the trophy if it is to be at the end of the season.

i think we'll win, but i dont think we will be gung hoe attacking cavelliers bounding forward at every oppertunity...why would we...we dont have to.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If you hate a team you hate a team. Personally the only thing I hate is PC bull**** "Won't someone think of the children" crap.

The public relations officer at united obviously disagrees with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hate is what that German Fruit cake did the other Day.

Rooney saying he hates Liverpool and kicking Alonso in the skinny ankles, is good honest to god sport!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I f*ckin' hate Rooney, but at least what he said was honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

daithijjj wrote: »
    The public relations officer at united obviously disagrees with you.
    The clue is in the title. It's his job as Public Relations Officer to protect sensitive souls like yourself from such horrible hate filled outbursts from hate filled players like Rooney. You can bet your bottom dollar he hates the sensitive souls but he has a job to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd love it if Liverpool came out and attacked us like they did Real Madrid. Madrid have a shocking defence, United have probably the best in the world. And with that sort of space, United's attack will punish them.

That's why Benetiz would never go for that sort of approach. Fergie has imo the better of Benetiz tactically (he has outwitted him quite a few times) and at home, I'd expect United to beat Liverpool. That said, with Gerrard and Torres back, Liverpool always have a goal threat, and they know how to defend. But Ferdinand tends to do well against Torres because he has the pace to match him, something nobody else has in the premiership.

It's a title decider in a way. If Liverpool lose, they will be out of the title race. If Liverpool win, they'll be back in it as serious contenders imo. A draw I think would result in United still being fairly comfortable. Must win game for Liverpool

(so Benetiz will in theory have to attack although we know that doesnt always apply)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Doesn't seem to be any word on injuries althought Insua wasn't named in the reserve squad for the game last night while Spearing was named as a sub but came on. Degen picked up a knock so really can't imagine him featuring and Darby wasn't playing/named in the reserve squad last night so I don't know what the situation is with RB. I would imagine assuming Arebloa is fit he's in.

Pepe
    Arbeloa Carra Skrtel LB
    Masch Alonso
    Kuyt Gerrard LW
    Torres

Subs: Cavalieri, Hyypia, Aurelio, Insua, Lucas, Riera, Babel, Ngog, El Zhar, Dossena,

I've named ten subs obviously two of whom will fill in the LB and LW positions, where I feel there is the greatest uncertainty about who will play and one who obviously won't make the subs bench. I'm assuming Agger and Benayoun are out injured and won't figure in the match day squad at all.

On the left side the likeliest options are as folows imo.

LB Aurelio LW Insua
    LB Aurelio LW Riera
    LB Insua LW Aurelio
    LB Insua LW Riera

I would be somewhat surprised if Babel did start, performance on Tue night notwitstanding. Also I can't see Dossena making the eighteen ahead of Aurelio and Insua, and I don't think three LBs are needed in the squad. I think the likeliest is LB Aurelio LW Riera with Insua on the bench and Dossena being dropped.

That would leave a team and bench as follows

Pepe
    Arbeloa Carra Skrtel Aurelio
    Masch Alonso
    Kuyt Gerrard Riera
    Torres

Subs: Cavalieri, Hyypia, Insua, Lucas, Babel, Ngog, El Zhar,

PHB wrote: »

(so Benetiz will in theory have to attack although we know that doesnt always apply)

great point....this really is MUST win for liverpool...and for a manager who likes to win games by stopping other teams winning them (litterally Real madrid on tuesday being the only notable exception in rafa memory)...

what way will liverpool go about this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

"Hate" is not a word that should be used by any professional sportsman in regards to one of his opponents/peers, and especially not by a football player. The message it sends to youngsters is overwhelmingly the wrong message to be giving. It smacks of a person with very little I.Q and a lack of professionalism and im not accusing wayne rooney of it either. He may well have those feelings but they should be kept beneath the radar of the public domain. There is enough hatred out in the real world without bringing it into a game/sport, that is one of the only things that unites people of different generations/religions/race's and class backgrounds etc.

Comments like these that do enter the public domain are reprehensible and should be treated as such by fans of all teams. We all love the game because it unites people, it does not discriminate/divide people due to the colour ot their skin, their religous beliefs, the amount of cash in their pocket. Hatred and all that it brings should be kept out of sport. I hope the game is a great sporting contest, im sure it will be and may the best team win etc etc. Personally, i draw the line at any notion of 'hatred' in sport, however it is packaged, its best left to the warmongers, religious fanatics and racist bigots as far as im concerned.
    I have never known hatred like Manchester United's and the poison dripping from their fans never ceases to shock me.

Growing up in Huyton, I was taught to loathe United, their fans, players, manager, kit-man, mascot — everyone associated with Old Trafford.

And during 90 minutes of football I want United to die.

Everton fans have grown to despise me because I score against them so regularly and because I keep saying I love beating Everton.

They loathe me but I think they respect me as a player. At Old Trafford it's different. Everyone there hates me because I'm Liverpool. Visiting Old Trafford is like negotiating an assault course as it rains vitriol.

A winter's day trip there in 2000 was no different.

Liverpool's coach was belted and the United fans were jumping up at the windows, their faces contorted by sheer hatred.

We got the full welcome: V-signs, w***** signs, knife signs. "F*** off, scum!" they'd shout. "We'll f****** kill you!" And they sang: "In your Liverpool slum..."

S***, the United fans really loathe us. Bang! A window splintered and a brick nearly bounced off my head. Here we go again. I ran for the dressing rooms. I almost couldn't hear the first whistle because of the booing. "F*** me." I thought, "This is show time. Get on my game or get f*****."

As a kid I once wore a United shirt with Bryan Robson's name and seven on the back.

I detested United with a passion and loathed the idea of putting on one of their strips, but this was different.

A mate of mine owned this Robson top, the old blue-and-white one with dashes. I asked him whether I could be Robson.

I put on the Robson one. It felt fantastic. I wore it for an hour, charging all over, flying into tackles, scoring brave goals, pretending I was Robson. Because the shirt had Robson's name on it, I forgot about the United bit.

It didn't seem like treachery, more homage to an England god. Unfortunately, Dad looked out the window and went ballistic. "Get inside now!" he screamed. Scarcely through the door, I ran into a right grilling. What the hell are you playing at, wearing a United shirt?" he asked.

"But Dad, it's Bryan Robson's shirt!" I explained. Dad couldn't have cared less. "You should know better," he said. Dad was not having any son of his dragging the Gerrard name through the Huyton gutter. What would the neighbours think?

Honest to God, I thought I was going to have to move house! I was only a baby, but was convinced Dad would kick me out for putting on that shirt. At 14 I put on a United shirt again! I wore the red of United in two trial matches.

After doing well in those games, United offered me a three-year pro contract.

But almost 20 years of being conditioned to hate Man U went up in smoke on my first England call-up. The other Liverpool boys introduced me to the rest of the squad. The last table I visited belonged to Manchester United. Phil Neville, David Beckham, Andy Cole and Paul Scholes looked up and smiled at me.

what are your thoughts on this so?

Pighead wrote: »
    The clue is in the title. It's his job as Public Relations Officer to protect sensitive souls like yourself from such horrible hate filled outbursts from hate filled players like Rooney. You can bet your bottom dollar he hates the sensitive souls but he has a job to do.

Whatever you say pighead, whatever you say..........lets move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Boggles wrote: »
    Hate is what that German Fruit cake did the other Day.

Rooney saying he hates Liverpool and kicking Alonso in the skinny ankles, is good honest to god sport!!!

If he injures Alonso, I will hunt him down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kida wrote: »

that Gerrard probably would have played for united if his dad had let him?

kryogen wrote: »

Thank God for his father :D :pac:

He said he played two trial matches, he never said he got called back.

Obviously wasn't good enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

He would have just played second fiddle to keane/scholes etc and would have left united to go to a lesser team to get a game.

So it would have all worked out the same way in the end.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    He said he played two trial matches, he never said he got called back.

Obviously wasn't good enough :D

lol nice, cept he says he got offered a 3 year pro deal :( but the father said he wouldnt have him drag the family name through the gutter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hate is ingrained in European football culture, if you want something more genteel I suggest lawn bowls.

I like Rooney's honesty.

Benitez non-committal on Anfield future
    Friday, 13 March 2009 11:18

RTE.ie

Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez has hinted he may leave the Anfield side if he feels the club does not have a long-term project to compete with Manchester United.

The Spaniard has been stalling for months on signing a new contract - his current deal runs out next year - but says he will decide where his future lies by the end of this month.

'I must decide on my future in the next two weeks and I want a medium or long-term project,' he told The Sun newspaper.

'I don't want to be working from day to day always hanging on the latest result. I will work where I feel I can develop a project.'

However, having been linked with a return to Real, where he has served as assistant manager and youth team coach, Benitez admitted that his homeland was not necessarily the most attractive proposition.

'What I want is hard to find in Spain. Long-term projects do not exist, not like they do in England.

another media mistake?

Does anyone actually read these articles before posting them? :rolleyes:
    he told The Sun newspaper.

He did in his hoop
    another media mistake?

Yes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The sun always take quites from other papers and try to pass them of as interviews they did.Rafa would not talk to the sun.

I am not sure what Benitez non-committal on Anfield future has to do with the match tomorrow.

kida wrote: »

You allready know my thoughts, my personal thoughts dont change because its a united or liverpool player. Im pretty sure rooney and gerrard have huge respect for each other. Its just my opinion. We are all products of our environment and it is quite clear that united and liverpool fans both despise each other to some degree, that is only human nature in any rivalry..........let me just quote billy connolly speaking to a rangers fan''''''

"its a disease man, you got it from one guy, i got it from another"

I guess the important point here is that after saturdays game, whatever happens, as a liverpool fan, i will still have massive respect for united and the fans of their club. For 90mins the respect goes out the window and at the end of the game you give respect where its due........i will be watching the game with 3 of my closest friends (all united fans)........we dont even speak to each other during games but afterwards, its like nothing ever happened, they will buy me a drink and il return the favour. It doesnt cost anything to have and to give respect, then again im not from manchester or liverpool so maybe i cant grasp the intensity of rivalry between the two communities, i doubt theres many people on this board who say they can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anyone going to this tomorrow on the 6.30am flight to Birmingham?. We have two free places in the car if ye wanna share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Dub13 wrote: »
    The sun always take quotes from other papers and try to pass them of as interviews they did.Rafa would not talk to the sun.

The original interview was with the Spanish paper AS in Spanish - there's a link in the Liverpool thread.

I don't think it has any relevance to the Utd game.

Looks like The Sun lied {again}:rolleyes: and that some RTE staffer hasn't the intelligence to realise that the utter stupidity of using The Sun as a source, especially in relation to do with anything related to Liverpool Football Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

RTE and the sun christ above is there any worse combination.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

RasTa wrote: »
    Anyone going to this tomorrow on the 6.30am flight to Birmingham?. We have two free places in the car if ye wanna share.

I was on that flight for the game at anfield along with 51 other lads from Irishkop,I missed the flight and had to pay 230 euro for a flight into Manchester airport later.

Turns out the Birmingham flight got delayed ontill 14:30 so all the lads missed the game,we got there tickets of them and went to the match with 40 odd spare tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Talk about Rafa contract is well OT, but here's what Guardian reports

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/13/rafael-benitez-liverpool-contract
    "Next week I am going to study my present and my future with my bosses," said Benítez, who was also quick to dismiss suggestions that he could leave Merseyside. "I have to decide on my future in the next two weeks.

"People who see me leaving for Madrid are wrong. I have a contract with Liverpool, I owe Liverpool and I am only thinking about Liverpool. I am happy here and there is a project under way. I have been here for five years and [if I was to stay] from now on things would be easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

"Hate" is not a word that should be used by any professional sportsman in regards to one of his opponents/peers, and especially not by a football player.

you should see the carry on with Real Madrid - Barcelona players ! "I hate them - love them to lose - Bastards " All common phrases used by players of both sides.

redout wrote: »
    you should see the carry on with Real Madrid - Barcelona players ! "I hate them - love them to lose - Bastards " All common phrases used by players of both sides.

I know this redout, i was just giving my '2 cents' that i think hatred doesnt have a place in sport. Fans of the spanish national team are among some of the most racist in europe as the black players in the england squad know plenty about. Anyway, i regret making my feelings known in this thread, hindsight and all that, would much rather have a bit of banter before i head for the airport tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I know this redout, i was just giving my '2 cents' that i think hatred doesnt have a place in sport. Fans of the spanish national team are among some of the most racist in europe as the black players in the england squad know plenty about. Anyway, i regret making my feelings known in this thread, hindsight and all that, would much rather have a bit of banter before i head for the airport tbh.

Yes you big girl's........
    If you're lot win this i'll take up Golf and Start Stalking :D

If you are heading over for the game I wish you 90mins+ of pain and heartbreak ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Liverpool to win 5 - 0
    Steven Gerrard to end Child Slavery

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Yes you big girl's........
    If you're lot win this i'll take up Golf and Start Stalking :D

If you are heading over for the game I wish you 90mins+ of pain and heartbreak ,

:D;)..........nice one mate, il be sure not to send a gloating pm when torres nets the winner:P;):D

redout wrote: »
    Manchester United have defended their decision to take Wayne Rooney's controversial comments about Liverpool off their official website.

Immediately after Wednesday night's Champions League triumph over Inter Milan, Rooney was interviewed by United's in-house TV station MUTV and went public with his long-held 'hatred' for Liverpool, who come to Old Trafford for a vital Premier League game tomorrow.

'I have always hated Liverpool and that's not changed,' said Rooney, before going on to claim that if United were to win this weekend, Rafael Benitez's men would be out of the title race.

As a boyhood Everton fan and a current United player, Rooney's views are hardly a surprise.

The England striker is mercilessly taunted by supporters of the Anfield outfit whenever he plays them and has responded with various gestures which do not hint at a lessening of opinion from either side.

While the interview has not been broadcast because MUTV were covering a reserve team game - against Liverpool - in Warrington last night, the quotes were obtained by United's official website and posted yesterday afternoon.

When the nature of Rooney's comments was pointed out to Red Devils officials, the decision was quickly taken to remove them.

However, they had already been picked up by other news outlets and broadcast around the world.

Nevertheless, United insist they took the right stance.

'In advance of the game we felt this was the best option,' said a club spokesman.

'The comments are open to wilful mis-reporting and neither the club, nor Wayne wanted that to happen.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0313/rooneyw.html

Good man Wazza, Stoke the fire I say.

Newsflash, Wayne Rooney hates Liverpool !!!

Cheers for that, would never have guessed it !

Tyler's Starting Stat - United they still stand

Well as you can imagine Manchester United-Liverpool is our main port of call this weekend, but I was at Old Trafford on Wednesday night when Jose Mourinho and Inter became the latest side to suffer at the hands - or heads - of United. The 2-0 success meant United have now won 15 of their last 16 games in all competitons (the 0-0 draw in the San Siro the odd one out); kept 31 clean sheets in 49 games in all competitions and in the Champions League alone, they are now unbeaten in a record 21 games and their last 19 at Old Trafford. They are also unbeaten in their last 29 home fixtures in all competitions with Liverpool looking to emulate Portsmouth, who were the last side to win there, in an FA Cup quarter-final in March 2008, with a goal from Sully Muntari - now of Inter of course. As for Cristiano Ronaldo, he has now scored in 48 games at Old Trafford and Manchester United have won every single one of them!

TOP TEN MARKSMEN
    Dear Martin, I never miss your column. I'm guessing you'll be focussing on Man United v Liverpool this week and I need you to settle a bet before the big game. Please could you provide me with a list of the top 10 Premier League goalscorers from the current Manchester United and Liverpool squads. I reckon not one Liverpool player will make the top five - and only Gerrard and Torres will make the top 10. Please let me know in this week's column. Thanks, Danny Scargill
    MARTIN SAYS: You're right that we're focussing on United v Liverpool, but unfortunately you're wrong in your bet. Steven Gerrard DOES make the top five in the list of Premier League goalscorers from these two clubs - and he is joined by three of his team-mates in the top 10 - Torres, Sami Hyppia and Dirk Kuyt. The full list is as follows:
    1. Ryan Giggs (97)
    1= Paul Scholes (97)
    3. Cristiano Ronaldo (78)
    4. Wayne Rooney (77)
    5. Steven Gerrard (64)
    6. Dimitar Berbatov (35)
    7. Fernando Torres (32)
    8. Carlos Tevez (24)
    9. Sami Hyppia (22)
    9= Dirk Kuyt (22)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dub13 wrote: »
    I was on that flight for the game at anfield along with 51 other lads from Irishkop,I missed the flight and had to pay 230 euro for a flight into Manchester airport later.

Thanks for telling me that! I'm flying with Aer Lingus and it's my first time with them for a footy match so I am expecting no nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

There cant be one liverpool fan out there who honestly thinks they will beat united?! in their haert and head and being a football fan they know they wont beat united! best they can hope for is a draw! Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

There cant be one liverpool fan out there who honestly thinks they will beat united?! in their haert and head and being a football fan they know they wont beat united! best they can hope for is a draw! Simple.

While I dont think liverpool will win, of course they can win and its not that unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah, i think we'll beat Utd!! Two one.

Plenty of thought put into that post !

Ahead of Manchester United's clash against rivals Liverpool, James Dalllooks at the top 10 players fans of said sides love to hate.

Manchester United players

Gary Neville
    Gary is not everyone's cup of tea. His infamous and over-zealous celebration directed at Liverpool fans when United netted a late winner at Old Trafford in 2006 landed the Bury-born defender in hot water with the Football Association. It also sparked supporter outrage. Stricken with passion, the kissing of the badge made Liverpool blood boil. However, if rumour is to be believed, builders have had their own back by burying a Liverpool shrine under the swimming pool of his current home. A certain terrace chant goes: "Gary Neville is a red, is a red, is a red. Gary Neville is a red, he hates Scousers."

Wayne Rooney
    A former Everton star and current Red Devil is never likely to have many doors opened for him during a night on the tiles in Concert Square. Rooney emerged as an exciting talent at Goodison Park and was brought to Old Trafford in 2004 for a hefty fee. Rooney partook, albeit nowhere near as controversially, in on-camera celebrations in the aforementioned late win over Liverpool, affirming his joy at defeating his rivals while also deepening the rift he shares with the red half of Merseyside. Scoring in front of the Kop and a hands-to-the-ears celebration as United made off with a 1-0 win in 2005 also ruffled a few feathers. Oh, and there is the small matter of his recent 'hate' revelation.

Roy Keane
    On the field, Roy Keane was an angry son of a gun. Full-blooded, he gave his all and let emotion rule his playing style. The former midfielder's football path started against Liverpool, as he made his professional debut versus the Reds during his time at Nottingham Forest. It was almost written that the Irishman would skipper United against arch-rivals Liverpool for years to come. Also, and somewhat fittingly, Keane's last competitive game for Manchester United came against Liverpool. It is of no surprise that a player that spent 12 years at Old Trafford, and took no prisoners, is not flavour of the month with the Anfield faithful.

Eric Cantona

It is reported that in 1991 then Liverpool manager Graeme Souness was informed that 'King Eric' had told French compatriot Michel Platini of his desire to play for Liverpool. Souness declined. Collared-up Cantona signed for Leeds United instead and fired home a hat-trick in their 4-3 Charity Shield victory over the Reds in 1992. The ghost of Cantona would again haunt Liverpool as he slotted home from the penalty spot against the Reds on his return from suspension. The nonchalant playmaker then struck one of the finest goals of his career in the 1996 FA Cup final. His sumptuous volley sucked every ounce of happiness from Liverpool hearts as his 85th minute goal sealed the trophy for the Red Devils.

David Beckham
    Beckham spent 10 years at Old Trafford and is a United favourite - and therefore his poster is not on few (male) Liverpool fans' bedroom walls. Perhaps it is his playboy image or memory of that low drive in off the foot of the post in 1996, but Beckham would struggle for a seat in an Anfield directors' box. His on and off-field persona largely differs to that of Keane and Neville, yet his love for all things Red Devils makes him a Liverpool adversary.

Liverpool players

Jamie Carragher
    Is Carragher Liverpool's Gary Neville? That's the suggestion of one forum thread this impartial scribe stumbled across when compiling this top 10. Workmanlike and professional in his approach but just does not sit well with United fans. However, said Carragher of fierce rivals Manchester United: "I've never hated Man United. I've always had respect for them. They're a proper club, like us, and they should have respect for us as well." That probably does little to alter opinion though. Carragher lives and breathes Liverpool football club and, with that in mind, is never likely to be top of Red Devil supporters' Christmas card list.

Graeme Souness
    The fiery, moustachioed Scot spent six years at Anfield as a player before managing the club from 1991 to 1994. His first goal for the Reds, back in 1978, came against Manchester United at Anfield. Furthermore, Souness had a rather bitey playing style that, from an outsider's perspective, was a little over the top and did not earn him many admirers, especially from the Red Devils contingent.

Steven Gerrard
    Like Carragher, Gerrard is Liverpool to the very core, which means dislike from United. The box-to-box midfielder is sure to be met with a shower of boos when in possession against the Red Devils. There is little debating that Gerrard is a quality player, arguably Liverpool's most influential player. And for this reason he will bear the brunt of verbal stick. Also, the England international has scored twice versus United. The first in 2001 when Liverpool recorded a 2-0 Premier League triumph. The second came in the Reds' 2-0 League Cup final victory over their rivals as Gerrard opened the scoring to set his side on their way.

Robbie Fowler
    Clinical striker Fowler is a Liverpool darling, and a United foe. Fowler spent a total of 10 years at Anfield, netting a frightening amount of goals. However, the forward could not call on his predatory instincts when United lifted the FA Cup in 1996 courtesy of that Cantona effort. Fowler then completed a double-hit of United rivalry clubs when he signed for Manchester City in 2003. During his time at Eastlands, and much to his delight no doubt, he scored City's third goal in their 3-1 victory in 2006. It has also been rumoured that United - perish the thought - were once interested in signing the forward. Now how would that have sat with Red Devils...

Phil Thompson
    'Thommo' spent 13 years at Anfield and makes no secret of his love for the club. The former defender made his Reds debut against Manchester United in 1972, a game that Liverpool won 3-0. Thompson, who also coached at Anfield, is well-known for his public displays of emotion when commentating on Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday. His let's say leaning-towards-Liverpool views can sometimes rub fans, including those who follow Manchester United, up the wrong way. That said, the nature of his joyous and heartbroken displays provide comical entertainment.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11662_5038246,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I dont think many people hate Fowler, am I wrong?

In the airport, 2.5 hours from my flight for this game....can't f'uckin wait.

Come on United!

Trilla wrote: »
    I dont think many people hate Fowler, am I wrong?

In the airport, 2.5 hours from my flight for this game....can't f'uckin wait.

Come on United!

despise fowler

played for liverpool, city and leeds! i mean come on. everyone of those is a sworn enemy of manchester united!

dont hate him as much as alan shearer however, but thats for another day

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

despise fowler

played for liverpool, city and leeds! i mean come on. everyone of those is a sworn enemy of manchester united!

dont hate him as much as alan shearer however, but thats for another day

yea Fowler always made the effort to get under the skin of united, Top Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

oh all of the players in that list, Fowler is by far at the top.

Quite like Carragher though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

PHB wrote: »
    Quite like Carragher though

yea? well .. eh .. he hates you and so do I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He would skull**** you if he could...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Robbie Fowler is the one I love to hate.....I've no problem with him tauting United fans when he scored, Rooney and Neville have done that too. But to boast about Liverpool winning the Champions League by holding up 5 fingers after scoring in that 3-1 win in 2006......while playing for MANCHESTER CITY!!! He might as well have ripped off the sky blue jersey to reveal a Liverpool one.

And to be fair David Nugent did this to Liverpool fans as well a few weeks back, taunting them about the cup defeat to Everton while playing for Portsmouth after he scored :confused: I dont think he's ever played for Everton! Just doesnt make sense to me, worry about your own club....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement