Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Liverpool (Sat, 14th March @ 12.45)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Robbie Fowler is the one I love to hate.....I've no problem with him tauting United fans when he scored, Rooney and Neville have done that too. But to boast about Liverpool winning the Champions League by holding up 5 fingers after scoring in that 3-1 win in 2006......while playing for MANCHESTER CITY!!! He might as well have ripped off the sky blue jersey to reveal a Liverpool one.

And to be fair David Nugent did this to Liverpool fans as well a few weeks back, taunting them about the cup defeat to Everton while playing for Portsmouth after he scored :confused: I dont think he's ever played for Everton! Just doesnt make sense to me, worry about your own club....

Nugent has never played for everton your quite right,
    Fowler whatever about being at man city was just doing somethin to wind up there greatest rivals and he happens to be a liverpool legend.
    Oh and Nugent lost that match :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Unfortunately i will be working tomorrow... I need to find a Man U fan to keep me posted.

Actually i can log onto boards from my phone ;) thank God for phone internet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Unfortunately i will be working tomorrow... I need to find a Man U fan to keep me posted.

Anyone else for posting up fake scores to wind MIN2511 up? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think we need a singalong

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Anyone else for posting up fake scores to wind MIN2511 up? :)
    I'd kill you! I was gonna ask some of the lads, but most of the lads are Pool fans so i reckon they will tell me to go FCUK myself! Especially if United is winning....

I really want to pull a sickie-i just can't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I'd kill you! I was gonna ask some of the lads, but most of the lads are Pool fans so i reckon they will tell me to go FCUK myself! Especially if United is winning....

I really want to pull a sickie-i just can't!

Work!! Don't worry about it there's plenty more jobs out there!!!!!!!!!

Work!! Don't worry about it there's plenty more jobs out there!!!!!!!!!
    Lol... where are you? Definitely not Ireland ;)

Guys, any word on who's playing, what formation etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Guys, any word on who's playing, what formation etc?

I'll be watching the match at home.

PM me if you want updates....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

www.livescores.com

or

bbc.co.uk/football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its going to be an interesting pick up front for utd

I wouldnt be suprised to see Tevez start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Fascinating battle ahead between vidic,Ferdinand and torres, gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

liverpool to win 2-1
    torres 31
    Kuyt 57
    Tevez 81 (lucky deflected goal or miscued shot as usual)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it will be close. I fancy United for 1-0. Rooney being on the scoresheet.

I just hope we're not talking about a refereeing decision tomorrow but I won't hold my breath.

This thread is gonna get outta control tmrw... I can't wait!
    United to win 2-1... Gonna put 50 on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Most likely result is a Man United win so if I was a betting man thats what I'd go for. Liverpool have a couple of things in their favor though. They will be full of confidence following their result midweek and also have an extra days rest over United. They also know that they outplayed them earlier in the season so that should add to their confidence.

Even if Liverpool win the game it is unlikely they can win the league (United would have to lose twice more while Liverpool win all remaining games). But if Liverpool lose or draw they DEFINITELY arent winning it...so that could go for or against them. They may buckle under the pressure OR it may fire them up. Theres also the chance that United will feel they have won the league if they get a draw...so may not be as attacking as expected.

Alonso is a doubt...if he doesnt play, I cant see Liverpool getting anything from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't see United winning this game. I think they have been below their best in a couple of recent games and Liverpool are proving that the better you are the better they are this season. Attack minded teams suffer greatly against this seasons Liverpool team and its hard to see United breaking through in this game. For me the question is whether or not Liverpool are capable of breaking down United's rearguard, I still don't know who is available at the back but I think Vidic is necessary for this game as is sombody doing a defensive job in the centre of the park for United. I am hoping to see a great game of football tomorrow and I think the most likely outcome is a draw.

I think we should stop analysing the match, it's only a few more hours and we will know the verdict.

Football is very unpredictable, both teams are strong and have brilliant players. Managers are top class and expectations are high.
    Buttom line is who will score the goals, not play better, who will actually score and which team will win.
    We can keep speculating but until 2.15pm today anyone can win this match!

All the best to both teams! I am an United supporter and my hear will be in my mouth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I think that United will win this and comfortably. Not in regards to volume of goals but a 1 or 2 nil without being pushed too much. People are saying Liverpool are on a high but sure I think everyone has forgot we just knocked out Mourinho's Inter the hardest team we could have gotten in the draw without even playing great. Its not as if we are in bad form considering we have won 15 of our last 16 with Inter away being the odd one out.

redout wrote: »
    I think that United will win this and comfortably. Not in regards to volume of goals but a 1 or 2 nil without being pushed too much. People are saying Liverpool are on a high but sure I think everyone has forgot we just knocked out Mourinho's Inter the hardest team we could have gotten in the draw without even playing great. Its not as if we are in bad form considering we have won 15 of our last 16 with Inter away being the odd one out.

LOL @ Inter being a good team. They were/are muck. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd have to echo that, Inter are a very average side, was more worried about Wigan a few weeks ago if I was to be honest.

Champions league matches will have no reflection on this match, Liverpool still would have got past Madrid at a canter, as it transpired Masc and Torres thought they were auditioning for 300 part 2 and blew them out of the water.

United played an organised but average side, Liverpool played an average but shambles of a side with 2 left wingers and a right back who rarely ventured home, they will never play against a side like that again at any sort of level.

Rafa has to go for the win, draw is no good, that said, sitting deep and catching United on the counter will be the tactic I reckon, If United get the early goal can see it being 3-1 to the World Champions. ;)

Good few from boards gone over to it I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No fear, no holding back

Sir Alex Ferguson has promised that his players will show no fear, only belief and optimism, when Liverpool visit Old Trafford on Saturday lunchtime.

The Reds boss scoffed at the suggestion that he will be looking to control his players ahead of a match he considers to be United’s true derby clash.

“I won’t be holding anybody back,” he said. “It’s United-Liverpool, it’s not the time to hold back. It’s the time to go forward, to enjoy it, to express ourselves in the way we have been doing, and not to fear the situation.

“That’s what we’ve been doing for the past two or three years. This team is full of optimism, with great belief in themselves. They’re young and only going to get better.”

Sir Alex expects the usual sparks to fly when Liverpool are in town, but says there’s no added intensity. “These matches don’t change,” he said. “No matter what happens, it doesn’t make it any more intense. This game will have all the usual intensity.

“It will be fierce and competitive, it’ll be a wonderful atmosphere and one you don’t want to miss. The number of people who have phoned me up for tickets… one lad, who I haven’t spoken to in 20 years, phoned and said, ‘I’ve been trying to get hold of you for two weeks’. I said, ‘Really, what for?’ He was just thinking about coming down for the Liverpool game. I said, ‘You can keep thinking about it, because you’ve got no chance!”

The outcome of the game is potentially decisive; victory for United and a ten-point advantage may prove too tough for Liverpool and Chelsea to close. Defeat for the Reds and the title race suddenly opens up. But Sir Alex is focused on one team only.

“I just need to concentrate on us,” he added. “At this stage of the season you play one game and think, ‘that’s one out of the road’. The same with the next one, and eventually you run out your games.

“It’s difficult to assess the league, it’s been quite a strange one, especially with us going to Japan [for the Club World Cup]. Everyone expected it to throw us, and I worried about it myself.

"We were behind when we went to Japan, and now we are seven points clear. I can’t be any happier than that. It’s a fantastic achievement for our players. It’s given us a bonus being in the position we are.

“Nobody expected us to be here. Now we have eleven games to go and I’m happy with the position we are in and the performance level of the team. Against Liverpool we have to continue that performance level, that’s important.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Best of luck mods.

CHD wrote: »
    Best of luck mods.

lol +1!!

although a few might be gone over so it might not be too crazy here (yeah right)

Funny fact for United fans, it was 10 years ago this month that we beat Inter Milan 2-0 at OT, is that a good omen for the season??

i dont believe in all that stuff but hell im excited today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't see United winning this game. I think they have been below their best in a couple of recent games and Liverpool are proving that the better you are the better they are this season. Attack minded teams suffer greatly against this seasons Liverpool team and its hard to see United breaking through in this game. For me the question is whether or not Liverpool are capable of breaking down United's rearguard, I still don't know who is available at the back but I think Vidic is necessary for this game as is sombody doing a defensive job in the centre of the park for United. I am hoping to see a great game of football tomorrow and I think the most likely outcome is a draw.

There for me is the Keg to the game , Altough I expect Utd to play attacking football as normal , They don't have to over commit . Liverpool on the other hand with have to be more adventurous today ,they must go for the win.Yes Liverpool have been good and solid against forward thinking teams (this not losing the game first way of thinking ) But today at some stage they are going to have to come out and go for it , which could/should help Utd . As they are still one of the best/fastest counter attacking teams out here.

In a very very weird way there is no real pressure on Utd today, (except for fans expectations) Don't get me wrong I fully expect the Utd's players and staff to up for this " CHRIST IT'S LIVERPOOL "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

anyone know if this is on Setanta? I'm not at home so I can't check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No, sky have it.

Sir Alex Ferguson has refused to condemn Wayne Rooney following his declaration that he 'hates' Liverpool.

The Manchester United striker made the inflammatory comment to MUTV in the aftermath of Wednesday's UEFA Champions League success over Inter Milan.

Rooney was speaking ahead of the Red Devils' highly-anticipated Premier League clash with their bitter North West rivals at Old Trafford on Saturday, live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1.

The England international has regularly found himself the target for terrace abuse from Liverpool supporters, with his strong connections to both Everton and United doing him no favours in their eyes.

With that in mind, it had been suggested that Rooney's outburst would only serve to provoke the ill-feeling which exists between the two parties.
    Ferocious

However, Ferguson believes the issue has been blown out of proportion and insists his man has not over-stepped the mark.

"Hate is an easy word to say, easier than dislike. Maybe it is not the right word," said the United boss.

"But Wayne has had plenty of stick from Liverpool fans over the years, so it is understandable.

"He supported Everton as a kid and the rivalry between them and Liverpool is pretty ferocious now. Since then he has come to Manchester United and he wants to win.

"It is nothing out of the ordinary, really."

nice to hear a voice of reason coming through the media over the incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

CHD wrote: »
    Best of luck mods.

;)

I'd like to think that the last couple of days have shown we can have a bit of banter without it turning into flame wars on this forum, and if everyone could keep that in mind the thread will move along nicely.

As always, the usual rules apply. If for any reason users need reminding, here's the charter.

Two other things I think might help:

1. Try not to be too quick taking the piss.
    2. Try not to be too quick taking offence.

I'm just hoping for a good game of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Couple of selection decisions today for Rafa.

Left back Insua or Aurelio. I'd probably go with Aurelio

Left Wing. Babel or Riera. I thought Babel did well against Madrid (though he had loads of space), and i'd be tempted to keep him in here. His confidence should be high and i think Right back is United's weak spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why are journos so dim? This from the IT
    Unless Rafael Benitez can somehow persuade his team to shake off the inhibition that blights them domestically, and allow Liverpool to perform with the tempo and appetite they displayed against Real Madrid at Anfield on Tuesday night, Liverpool will lose, United will be 10 points ahead with a game in hand that is against Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Best of luck to all. Hope for a good match, and a liverpool win. Gonna call a draw though 1-1.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

;)

I'd like to think that the last couple of days have shown we can have a bit of banter without it turning into flame wars on this forum, and if everyone could keep that in mind the thread will move along nicely.

I predict that this thread will mirror the match in a lot of ways..

If the referee has an uneventful afternoon, the match is good, and the eventual victors are deserved, there will be graciousness all around, by the defeated and the victorious.

If it's a sparky affair, the ref has a mare, resulting in what one side perceives as an unfair result, either the thread will be locked shortly after the match, or it will stay near the top of the Soccer forum index for about a week, albeit abandoned by anyone who values their sanity and patience. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Actually, I can smell a 1-1 draw too.....Torres first, Ronaldo pen for the leveller...

Just to stop an argument I'm havin here with someone (who doesnt check wikipedia :rolleyes:), who was the last player to play for both clubs, Peter Beardsley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Left Wing. Babel or Riera. I thought Babel did well against Madrid (though he had loads of space), and i'd be tempted to keep him in here. His confidence should be high and i think Right back is United's weak spot.

I'd say you're probably right here. Rafael still isn't the most solid defender and both O'Shea and Neville would struggle with Babel's pace. But I think the fact of how well Babel played against Madrid won't even come into Rafa's mind. He doesn't seem to care who the form players are - just picks what he thinks is his best eleven for the game. I think that's possibly his biggest flaw as a manager.

Tough one to call this. I think it'll end up a draw, but hopefully United can sneak it by a goal.

• Advertisement

Actually, I can smell a 1-1 draw too.....Torres first, Ronaldo pen for the leveller...

Just to stop an argument I'm havin here with someone (who doesnt check wikipedia :rolleyes:), who was the last player to play for both clubs, Peter Beardsley?

Not sure if Beardsley played for UTD he was def there. United fans will know anyway. Last player to cross from UTD to LFC was Ramon Calliste about 2-3 years ago. He left the UTD setup and came to ours and then subsequently left after a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Paul Ince.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Paul Ince.

Hand face slap! How could I have forgoten that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There was somebody more recently, his name is escaping me, he was let go by United's youth system and then taken up by Liverpools. Then again, I dont think he made a senior appearance for either.

--

I love these games :)

PHB wrote: »
    There was somebody more recently, his name is escaping me, he was let go by United's youth system and then taken up by Liverpools. Then again, I dont think he made a senior appearance for either.

--

think that was Calliste no?

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »

--

Look up 5 posts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

God I love these games. I predict a tight 1-0 win for Man Utd

Vidic to slug in a header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I cant wait for kick off, this is going to be some match.!

im having my usual when everyone else is saying united will win doubts!!

im uncomfortable by the general consensus that Liverpool wont win and the best they can hope for is a draw

its going to be a tough game, Liverpool will have to perform to their best and they wont make it easy on us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Couple of selection decisions today for Rafa.

Left back Insua or Aurelio. I'd probably go with Aurelio

There is not a hope in hell that Insua will start in my opinion.

I also reckon it will be Riera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

For luck can we get Rockman to post the teams today lads.

Yes I am superstitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

There is not a hope in hell that Insua will start in my opinion.

I also reckon it will be Riera.
    Ye this echoed. Why would he drop his first choice left back for insua.
    I'm in oz watching this. Approaching midnight. Come on utd!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

any links for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Lucas in for injured Alonso! Not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Come on Rockman post the team lad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement