Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I stop my dog doing

• 11-03-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

humping his bed?? After he has tried to get it on with his bed (which to be honest he fails miserably, he is just 8 months and I don't think he really knows what he is doing) he chews it and pulls the thing apart - the annoying part. Am at my wits end to be honest, we have gone through about 4 or 5 beds for him and he literally pulls the stuffing out of them. Im heavily pregnant at the moment and bending down giving out to him and telling him off and taking the bedding off him and putting it in the hall or anywhere where he cant get it is doing nothing at the moment. I feel sorry for him to be honest but bending down for me is getting really hard so am basically looking for a quick solution. The other thing is if ive taken the bedding off him and put it in the hall and go out of the room, he will fall asleep on the mat at the back door so do you think i should just put a mat in for his bed. Feel bad doing that coz he looks so cosy on his bed. Anyway any suggestions much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Had a similar experience with my cocker spaniel.
    He has a bed, which he doesn't hump, it stays in his pen. But the pen, a baby's playpen, came with a soft base, which he lies on in other rooms, or in the kitchen outside his pen.
    However, for ages, the first thing he would do on getting into the room, would be hump the soft base, then chew at it, make a hole, or find an existing one, and tear out the stuffing.

Got him neutered a few weeks ago, and this behaviour has diminished, in fact, I don't recall him doing it at all yet since it happened.
    Will keep a closer eye & see if its completely disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Spurscormac I have a Cocker Spaniel aswell. I swear its getting to me now, not so much him doing it but the cleaning up after him is. I now just have a throw over in his bed, well what used to a throw (blanket) its completely ruined. Im more concerned about him swallowing the stuffing and blanket and getting sick rather than anything else. I think it might be time for him to get the chop (as in get neutered).

How old is your lil fella, my lil fella is a blue roan cocker and is just 8 months but he doesnt have the long fur thank gawd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Havent got any answers for ya but my 13 year old spayed X still gives our cushions a good old hump. :P Neutering or old ages hasnt cured her haha!:D

Ohhhh no Anniehoo please dont say that...... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

:oSorry!
    Have you got him neutered yet? He "should" grow out of the cushion ripping stage but the humping is hit and miss to be honest. If neutered its not really a sexual thing, more of a territory marking type of behaviour. Very small pups even do it as a dominance thing.At 8mths hes a raving bag of hormones at the moment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If he's not neutered get him done asap it's not a miracle cure but it can help and it's the responsible thing to do in the long run (he won't be trying to escape on the hunt for the ladies).

Don't replace his bed, sometimes a plastic dog bed with a fleece blanket or vet bed works better or even a mat would do but also give him some toys to play with sounds like he might be a little bored as well. Try filled Kongs and frozen kongs, they are simple and easy to use and will keep him distracted. Also extra walks to tire him out before bed time might help. There's also a bone usually called a calcium bone in pet shops and in Tescos, it's a white bone filled with a filling (dog knows what's in it) but it takes dogs ages to get it all and they love it plus the bone part it extremely hard to break or splinter.

What about puppy training classes, are there any in your area?

Sometimes a long fire tongs is a very handy for picking up stuff if bending down is difficult ...it is ...really lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Tired wrote: »
    Spurscormac I have a Cocker Spaniel aswell. I swear its getting to me now, not so much him doing it but the cleaning up after him is. I now just have a throw over in his bed, well what used to a throw (blanket) its completely ruined. Im more concerned about him swallowing the stuffing and blanket and getting sick rather than anything else. I think it might be time for him to get the chop (as in get neutered).

How old is your lil fella, my lil fella is a blue roan cocker and is just 8 months but he doesnt have the long fur thank gawd.

He's just gone 10 months, a little golden fella. He does have the long fur, and as I posted in the grooming thread, it gets everywhere.
    He has outgrown the tearing out the stuffing bit, still does it the odd time, but not too often.

Hope your little guy calms down a bit - but I suspect its a territory/dominance thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Has he stopped throwing his toys at you yet? Blessings and stay well

LOL at Guineapigrescue, must invest in a thongs.... Ive only 4 weeks to go so as you can guess its not easy to bend down as such.

I just keep taking the blanket off him everytime he drags it out of his bed and have invested in a bone which keeps him occupied to a certain extent then he starts flinging that around and fighting with it...

Was such a nice day yesterday he was out playing on the green in front of the house with his big younger buddy a few doors up, its great to watch them running around playing, he was knackered so all he wanted to do was sleep.

Na Sorella still up to his old tricks... Funny though!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Keep up with the bones and toys and do invest in a kong they only cost a couple of quid, it sounds like he needs to be kept more busy and playing etc will wear him out he's still a bit of a baby.

If you can find a responsible kid for the next couple of months to pay them to walk the dog once a day after school, if there's not someone there to walk him just to get rid of that extra energy. Extra walks will be good for you too will get things moving along. I was heavily preg. and I swear it was all the walking with the dogs, up hills, the lot and of course rasberry leaf tea that helped. Only 5 hours in labour altogether from start to finish..good eh lol.

Mind you that was 10 years ago to the week now it's cakes and bars that stop me from bending down *oink*.

Every time someones doing the weekly shop just pop one of those filled bones in as well will be good for his teeth as well. If he's into playing with tennis balls (if not they can learn to) that's a great way to tire him out, teaching him to give it back to you then you can sit in the kitchen or a long corridor and just fling the ball for half and hour, it knackers them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

My 2 year old female Cavalier enthusiastically humps her teddies on a daily basis. I have tried extra walks and distraction techniques but nothing works. Apparently it can be a dominance thing but I've never had this problem with other dogs I've had growing up (Border Collie and a German Shepherd.)

Advertisement