Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever won anything off a radio station?

• 11-03-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I've won a couple of CDs off FM104 (which I never got because they tell you to come in and COLLECT them, scabby b*stards!) and some tickets to the launch party of *EDIT: an mcd event!* some years back in the Guinness Store House.

Won a few gimicky things off Spin1038 for taking part in some quiz.

Won a trip to the Netherlands from 2fm.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I won a box of beat 102 stuff a while back - cd's, lollies, condoms. A mixed bag to say the least :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Albums and vouchers on a number of occasions years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I won a trip to thailand last friday ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

blahblah06 wrote: »
    I won a trip to thailand last friday ..

Was that from 2fm? I heard that! Lucky you, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

I won Victoria Beckhams album....that was a joyous occasion!:rolleyes:
    I also won €103 on Beat103 :) was years ago tho

lol it sure was on 2fm. mind you I havent heard a thing yet. did I sound good ? haha

ps were u waiting long to hear form them about ur hols

blahblah06 wrote: »
    lol it sure was on 2fm. mind you I havent heard a thing yet. did I sound good ? haha

Sounded excellent! :D I won my trip from them too and I actually had to ring THEM after a few days because hadn't heard anything! And then when I rang them they just took my name and address but didn't know any of the details which was quite annoying, had to wait a few weeks before I heard anything from the sponsors. But still, Thailand, that's an amazing prize!! Did you win a Blackberry or something earlier in the week too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

I once won an elephant. i kept him in my garden and called him Stampy.

(I didn't really. I just want to see if this post shows up on another radio board with the author failing to clarify that it isn't his own work. There's about 20 posts written by various posters from here in the last few days that have shown up there transcribed by one single author without credit. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Melted M&M

Never won anything from the radio and its not for the want of trying :(

• Advertisement

2fivers wrote: »
    I once won an elephant. i kept him in my garden and called him Stampy.

(I didn't really. I just want to see if this post shows up on another radio board with the author failing to clarify that it isn't his own work. There's about 20 posts written by various posters from here in the last few days that have shown up there transcribed by one single author without credit. )

Name and shame

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I won tickets to see Buena Vista Social Club on Phantom, they expected me to travel all the way into town to get them.

Fúck that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

I DID actually win a half-decent mountain bike from 2 fm, as well as about 150 'Rehab lottery' scratch cards from CKR many years ago. I won about £30.

Very welcome at the time but an utterly bollix return from 150 tickets. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I have won 2 weekends away form The Last Word over the past 3 years. I text the competition most days.

I also won tickets to see the Pixies in Lansdowne Road about 3 years ago on 98FM - caller number 9 and I was it on a Sunday afternoon. I too had to pick them up, but I was working near enough at the time to the station.

The first thing I ever won on radio was a cd of live music in HMV in the early 90's I think the CD has the Pale etc on it. It was a late night competition, answers on a postcard - didn't hear that I won until a CD came in the post. It was Mike Ryan (Gerry's younger brothers show)...it is mad the things you remember. I think had to wait about 3 years before I got a CD player to play it on :D

Hi ya . ye I won a blackberry havent recieved that but I believe its locked to vodafone with is no use to me.

I am a bit sketchy about the thailand trip because they didnt say how long it was for or anything. I will prob ring them on friday if I dont hear a thing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

won a stocktons wing vinyl album about 100 years ago on radio 2 as it was then!

also won an "odd one out hoodie" on ray d'arcy on today fm - not because i won though, just talked him into it .... took a long time to arrive but i persevered and annoyed them so much with emails that i eventually got it months later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Between myself and the missus we won:

Tickets to Ian Brown years ago
    Tickets to Ireland v Australia
    Tickets to Leinster v Edinburgh
    About €90 in credit (in total)
    A Nokia Phone
    A trip to Barcelona avec €500 spending monies
    A trip to London for the opening of the film Children of Men - flights, hotel, free bar, spending monies.
    Weekend away in Cork
    Weekend away in Galway

Some other stuffs I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

I beat the sportsman on 2fm about 5 years ago, won a phone & tickets to some show in the west.

When I was 10 I won a copy of 'Tiffany - I think we are alone now" on Local radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I won a Toshiba portable dvd player off the George Hook show.

And a Children of Men dvd on a seperate occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dee1dee2

i won a 2 day trip to c madonna in brixton a few years ago from today fm scary experience the bus owned by sony music was pelted with bricks and stuff on way to concert

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I won stuff from Phantom back when they were still a pirate. I made up entertaining new lyrics to "A Few of My Favourite Things" from the Sound of Music. Got 3 albums, 2 on CD and one Vinyl.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I won a Creative MP3 player on The Right Hook Newstalk a year or so ago. It was only 1GB, so got about €50 on eBay at the time, was OK return for a text message :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Won a solar powered radio from sunshine radio.I was just wondering whatever happened to the big kahuna did they get their year of prizes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Justin Timberlake tickets for his gig in the RDS and some CD's from fm104. Best bit was I got to talk to Mark Noble though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Won an mp3 player from Off the Ball, a great sports show on Newstalk

Was only a cheap version but it has a radio and I got great use from it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A Divine Comedy CD from 98 for the '80s at work four-play" or whatever the "heres three songs, guess what the connection is then we'll play the fourth" thing was.

Its the only radio competition I've ever entered; cause I was at home and bored at the time, so not a bad return to date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've never entered a radio competition myself but I know someone who does. They've won a load of stuff - heating oil, tyres, CDs, vouchers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Kershaw.D

Yea , any time I tried I won

I won the 98fm fugitive
    Whats that sound
    MacBook Air (Zoo Crew , spin)
    2 phones
    A load of cds
    And A load of concert tickets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

I won a weekend away off rte1 a while back, and I too had to ring them. several times. i kept getting different producers who put me onto other producers who put me onto a phone number where i got rick o'shea's answering machine (?) and eventually got talking to someone who knew what he was on about, and got the hotel to ring me

won dubes off newstalk and didn't have to do a thing:D pink ones too:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

I HAVE BEEN LUCKY A FEW TIMES.USUALLY CDS AND TICKETS.I PURSUED TODAY FM A FEW YEARS AGO RE A BOTTLE OF VODKA AND HANGOVER MEDICATION I WON ON SUNDAY SUPPLEMENT.I HAD THE MOST INVENTIVE HANGEROVER STORY THAT MORNING IT SEEMS.

NEVER GOT THE INTENDED PRIZE BUT AFTER A LOT OF RINGING AND WRITING I EVENTUALLY GOT A DECENT GOODY BAG WITH A STATION T SHIRT AND LOADS OF CDS.

JOHN CREEDON,S FORMER LUNCHTIME SHOW ACCORDED ME A €50 BOOK VOUCHER FOR PARTAKING IN AN ON AIR PHONE QUIZ.

KEEP TRYING BUT TRY NOT TO MAKE THE STATION PIG PRIZE LIST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

A free parking ticket. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jajasu

All,
    a new person to boards.ie, but I just had to air this problem.
    As an avid listener to Phantom 105.2, due to the lack of radio selection in this country, I found myself entering several competitions and winning.

The first one I won was a selection of dvds on the movie program they run over the weekend. My name was called out and I won. I never got the dvds. I never chased them about it.

The second one I won was a meal for two in The Village in Dublin. They never go onto me about my address details. I chased them for a few days and eventually they sent out my voucher for a meal for two.

The third one which was back in november was an AC/DC dvd & cd. A week went by and no-one had contacted me. I rang them up and they said they hadn't got the dvds in stock yet and that they would get back to me when they did. Some competition. Another two weeks went by, I rang them back and still none in stock. They eventually got onto me, to my delight, saying they had them in stock and all I had to do was travel into DUblin up to near the O2 Arena to collect them!! That really pi**ed me off. They don't mention that when you're entering the competition!! They were giving out loads of them AC/DC cds and DVDs over a weekend and I'm sure most people like me never went in to collect them.

Phantom must be making a fortune on unclaimed competition prizes. I'm not sure how much the text costs, but they must be making a packet.

My advice to anyone who enters a competition on Phantom is, DON'T.

I've a proper pain in my backside with them!!!

Has anyone else had similar experiences with them?
    Or have they resolved this issue in the last few months?

jajasu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

They've gotta find the money to pay their MD somehow...;-)
    Seriously tho, its not just Phantom. Most or all Dublin stations expect you to pick up prizes from the studio and its not unusual to have to wait weeks or even months to hear from a station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

NONE of the Dublin stations, not just Phantom, post competition prizes out to you. You have to pick them up at their studios. I'm sure you could get them to give the prizes away to someone else if it's that much hassle to go and pick up something for nothing... I certainly wouldn't mind take a walk out to the Quays if you want to donate your Phantom winnings to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi OP - there's a phantom FM forum here - I can move this if you like?

There's already a thread dealing with competitions, so I'll merge these threads once the db errors have been fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've won 2k with Colm and Jim Jim

loads of concerts tickets ,and many bulmers hampers on todayfm when they do the winning weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

I also won the portable dvd player from George Hook's show. It's fantastic AND they posted it to me...seems newstalk is alone in its generosity on this front?!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

As a previous poster said its very unusual for a station to post stuff out these days.

Apart from the cost, theres also the chance that

a. hungry postie could take it
    b. potential damage in transit
    c. With cash prizes they need to verify who the recepient is

and

d the Punter could claim they never got the prize (its happened before)

In many cases, radio stations will give away a prize before they physically have it in their building. Thats why they will often tell you to wait 10 days before coming into collect it.

None of the stations want to keep your prize for themselves, the old radio theory is that every prize winner will tell ten of their friends what they've won. They'll also tell ten of their mates if the station screws them over. Giving a listener a prize is a great positive for a station, not giving them the prize turns that into a very big negative!!!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Kershaw.D wrote: »
    Yea , any time I tried I won

I won the 98fm fugitive

thats savage! The fekker has been in my work place loads of times. I work in a hospital so not really appropriate to be going asking randomers if they are the fugitive :D so tempted though :D

I've won tickets to Bryan Adams & Justin Timberlake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

A few years ago, I was sent a huge box of about 40 or 50 CDs and DVDs from the Dave Fanning show for the annual Fanning's Fab 50. I submitted a few favourite tracks online and a couple of weeks later SDS knock on the door with loads of goodies. Great selection of stuff too, it was a really nice surprise around Christmas.

Also won a Judas Priest box set from Tom Dunne's old show on Today FM and a compilation CD from Phantom FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Years ago I used to have the most boring summer job ever where they only played spin 103.8 on the radio. We used to spend half the day entering competitions and winning. Mostly terrible prizes like tickets to the opening night of spririt on moddle abbey street as it was then.

There was a competition called the 7up 7 second challange tho. They would ask you to name as many things in a particular catagory as you could in 7 seconds. Think the prize was a 2k scooter. Anyway there was a bit of a pattern, like counties in Munster, Elvis hits, blah blah so I had prepared a few things. I rang up, got through and they phoned me back and asked.... counties in Leinster! That was one I had prepared so I named them all out. The highest score previously had been 7 or something so I would have won the prize, but then they told me they forgot to press record and were gonna have to call back. :(

They called back and asked me Brat Pitt movies, which I pretty much could remember none. :( sob

My boyfriend at the time also entered and got on ( I swear they cant have had more than a dozen listeners) and he got asked to name as many players in the world cup team as possible. He got totally flustered and managed to say a few before he said Gazza! He took a fair bit of ribbing from the lads at work on that one! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I won a mobile phone on Today FM yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

jajasu wrote: »
    All,
    The first one I won was a selection of dvds on the movie program they run over the weekend. My name was called out and I won. I never got the dvds. I never chased them about it.

Can't blame them so - it's not up to a station to be chasing people up over CDs they won. Onus is on the listener.
    All,
    The second one I won was a meal for two in The Village in Dublin. They never go onto me about my address details. I chased them for a few days and eventually they sent out my voucher for a meal for two.

Again, they sent out the voucher, don't see the problem here at all, sometimes it takes a few days for prizes from the client giving them away to arrive into the station. Phantom don't have a machine that prints vouchers for a company they don't own.
    All,
    The third one which was back in november was an AC/DC dvd & cd. A week went by and no-one had contacted me. I rang them up and they said they hadn't got the dvds in stock yet and that they would get back to me when they did. Some competition. Another two weeks went by, I rang them back and still none in stock. They eventually got onto me, to my delight, saying they had them in stock and all I had to do was travel into DUblin up to near the O2 Arena to collect them!! That really pi**ed me off.

Again you got the prize, the tone of your post suggests Phantom didn't deliver on their promise when they did?

Imagine having to travel "into Dublin" when a station is only targeting Dublin! It's not like you live in Kilfinora and 2FM are asking you to drive up for a CD.

Apart from everything else involved, posting out prizes would mean a lot of prizes would be nicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

mick_irl wrote: »
    I won a mobile phone on Today FM yesterday.

I want a new phone!

I've never won anything from a radio station. Forever trying to win tickets on Today FM's Premier League live, but I suppose they must get thousands of texts everyweek so that's hardly surprising.

I won a goodybag from The Den (back in Zig and Zags days). That's the nearest thing to a radio prize ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I won 10 burger king meal vouchers on Phantom. They posted them to me too! Went with my friends at lunch, the scabby feckers in burger king would only give you the basic meal. If you wanted a wopper with cheese, you had to pay 50c for the cheese!

Also won a 20 inch wagon wheel pizza from Mizzoni pizza and bottle of wine on newstalk, that was a class prize. The Mizzoni guys were dead sound too.
    And yes, I am a fat b@stard:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I won a Snow Patrol T-shirt and their album on today fm in October.... Was in a draw to get to go to 4 SP gigs over the one weekend and have flights/hotel etc paid for (my reason for entering in the first place:D) didn't win that though:(

Got the album a month later :eek:
    and the t-shirt (which was 2 sizes too big) 6 weeks later:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

won a few tshirts / cinema tickets / guest passes with phantom

won a trip to budapest and 500eu with newstalk last year. hotel upgaded us to a corner suite too, so double win :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

When I was younger I won tickets to see Drive Me Crazy in a UCI cinema. Exciting stuff.

My Dad always enters Lyric FM competitions, because he drives a lot for work and that's the station he listens to. Once he turned on the radio just in time to hear a competition question, and he entered and won without knowing what the prize was. He was mortified though when they announced on it the radio had won their competition to win an Irish Tenors CD - he was like, arrgh, I can't believe they said my name, people will think I entered because I like the Irish Tenors! Now he always makes sure he knows what the prize is before he enters competitions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gobschite

Im not related to anyone in the radio station :rolleyes:

:D

No luck my end. Fecking hopeless at comepetitions

*runs off to buy euromillions*

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

I won All-Ireland Hurling tickets drom Beat 102-103

• Advertisement
Advertisement