Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

major fault with tomtom go 730

Options
  • 11-03-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

hello,
    i bought a tomtom at xmas with preloaded maps of western europe. i noticed the maps were dated back to 2003 so i went onto the website and purchased an updated map with free updates for a year for 90 euro. i went to download the map.
    the map downloaded no problem, but during the installation to tomtom, an error message popped up which stopped the installation.
    my tomtom now says "no maps found" on the screen, there are now no maps at all on it and is totally useless.
    the error message that popped up was: "DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/GetInstallable/InvalidArchive2: Invalid archive: C:\Users\john\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map\Western___Central_Europe_2GB-1\Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.zip" etc etc.
    i have been onto tomtom all week, spent a fortune on hold for hours. i have sent numerous e mails. the replied with fixes which involved copying and moving files to new folders, deleting and reinstalling everything, flashinf tomtom with new software, checking sd and tom for errors etc etc.
    i have tried everything and have spent not hours but days now trying to fix it, and i am reasonably handy with electronics and computers.
    tomtom now say they have to consult a technical expert and i might have to wait some time before they get back to me. sounds like i am being fobbed off but i will wait and see.
    anyone any ideas on this?
    thanks in advance for replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

might be a long shot....but at any time in the past did you avail of the backup feature in tomtom home?
    if so you should be able to pull in a restore from within tomtom home, as it will point to the backup file on your pc.

worth a shot !

did you download the new maps from within TT home.....with your device connected? if so it should have pushed out the file to the device.
    or did you download it directly to your pc?

if its to you pc, then loacte the zip file and create a new folder on your desktop.
    unzip the file into that new folder and then connect your device / or SD card
    then copy across the unzipped files like for like onto the appropriate locations on the sd/ device.

BUT
    BACKUP that card or device folders first.

Hope this helps

PS
    Sounds like your download may have been corrupted, so when it went to the device it overwrote the original map file on the device... Try downloading it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

thanks for reply. tried re-downloading loads of times but same result. if i restore it says there has been a change to device since last restore date so it wont restore.
    when i downloaded the map i was prompted to update the tomtom home application. i have a sneaky suspicion the fault lies here, what do you think?
    thanks for help. hopefully i will get it sorted soon

hello eirlink,
    got it sorted eventually. the problem was that the download was not right, supposedly caused by my internet connection. i got around this by disabling my wireless connection and connecting through a ethernet cable.
    i then had to connect through a proxy server rather than the internet, if that makes sense.
    i must say that tomtom customer service is THE worst i have ever come accross. after 2 weeks fiddling with it and following their instructions on how to fix it, not to mention being on hold for about 4 hours in total on their service phone line, i eventually had to figure it out and fix it myself.
    absolutely useless.
    tomtom is a good product, much better to use than garmin but if something goes wrong you are screwed...

glad youre sorted. I did mention it may be a corrupt download.

just be sure you do a fresh backup now!. actually do 2x...one via tthome and also make a copy of the device via windows.

• Advertisement

no prob. thanks again for your help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

Sorry Manus that I'm only seeing this now, I actually replied to your PM before seeing this thread also.

I will also feedback your comments with regards to our customer service.

Thanks,

TTI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spuggied

manus30 wrote: »
    hello eirlink,
    got it sorted eventually. the problem was that the download was not right, supposedly caused by my internet connection. i got around this by disabling my wireless connection and connecting through a ethernet cable.
    i then had to connect through a proxy server rather than the internet, if that makes sense.
    i must say that tomtom customer service is THE worst i have ever come accross. after 2 weeks fiddling with it and following their instructions on how to fix it, not to mention being on hold for about 4 hours in total on their service phone line, i eventually had to figure it out and fix it myself.
    absolutely useless.
    tomtom is a good product, much better to use than garmin but if something goes wrong you are screwed...

I have the same problem. How did you realise it was the internet speed that was the issue? Which proxy did you use to get around it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭guydub

i had this problem the first time i updated the maps
    its best to connect your computer to the internet via an ethernet cable instead of the wireless card . Below are the instructions tomtom sent me which worked.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Please follow the steps below in how to install your map to your TomTom device.

We highly recommend that you connect directly to the Internet with a network cable and not use a wireless network connection. Wireless connections occasionally drop the connection, which means that your map may not download correctly. Please note that you will need a stable and unrestricted broadband connection. If you are at the end of an exchange, you may experience an unstable connection, which can interfere with the map download.

Please follow the steps below in how to make a manual backup of your TomTom device

STEP 1 Create a backup folder

- Connect your TomTom to your computer and switch it on
    - On a PC, create a new folder on your desktop and call it 'Backup'

- On a Mac, create a folder on the desktop and call it 'Backup'.

STEP 2 Copy the contents of your TomTom to your Backup Folder

- On a PC, Open 'My Computer', you will see the TomTom as a removable storage device, e.g. TomTom (E:), double left click into it.
    - Click on Edit -> Select All, then click on 'Edit -> Copy'
    - Go to your Backup folder on your desktop that you have created, double left click into it and click on 'Edit -> Paste'

- On a Mac, you will see the TomTom device on the Desktop, double click into it.
    - Select and copy all of the contents of the TomTom device.
    - Go to your backup Folder that you have created and double click into it.
    - Paste all the files into the backup folder.

Please also look at the following webpage in how to do this:-
    http://www.tomtom.com/3171

Depending on which TomTom device you have and which maps you have installed, a backup can take anything up to 1 hour to complete.

STEP 3 Delete the map from your TomTom Device

- On a PC, Open 'My Computer', you will see the TomTom as a removable storage device, e.g. TomTom (E:), double left click into it.
    - Delete the folder named Western and Central Europe.

STEP 4 Delete the Downloads folder.

1. If your TomTom unit is connected to your PC, exit from TomTom HOME and disconnect the unit
    2. Go to ‘My Documents’ and then browse to ‘TomTom\HOME\Downloads’
    3. Delete the contents of the ‘Downloads’ folder (not the folder itself)

STEP 5 Install the latest version of TomTom Home

- Download and install TomTom Home from : http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=16&tab=87
    - Open TomTom Home 2.4
    - Log in to your account with your email address and password for your TomTom account.

STEP 6 Install the Map

- Open TomTom Home
    - TomTom Home will prompt you to select Internal Memory or Memory Card, choose Internal Memory as the install location.
    - A list of updates should appear, one of which will be the map. Make sure that the map is the only item that is selected.
    - Click on 'Update and Install'.
    - Once complete, switch your TomTom off, disconnect it from the Computer, switch your TomTom back on.
    - The device will load up with your new map installed.

Everything from this point should now be working. If you have any issues, please make a note of what is happening and state what error messages that you get if there are any.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Advertisement