Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 11-03-2009 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

This isnt an issue yet but i can see it happening within the next month - i hope not but anyways....

Short version:

We (me and GF) have been renting a 2 bed house since Jan '08, so just over a year now. We initally signed a one year lease with another couple who moved abroad when the lease expired. We then got a new couple in for the other double room and we all (4 signatories) signed a lease for 6 mts - Jan '09 - July '09.

The other couple are sound and there are no issues between us - however, they have both look like they will be losing their jobs shortly, in fact, one already has (construction industry). They used to live in London and they mentioned lst night that he might look for his old job back over there. I mentioned the lease and they seemed to think a months notice would be OK but i said i doubted it because the lease is for 6 mts.

I like where we are living and dont want to have to move, so i was wondering what are our (me and my GF) options should the other couple leave? As all four of us signed a lease, are we liable for anything except our rent which is due every month? we also have a months rent as deposit as do the other couple - if they break the lease, i assume they lose it but whose responsibilty is it to fill the vacant room/make up the rest of the rent for the remainder of the lease??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,

Jugs82

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You really need to check what you signed.

All four are probably liable for the full amount owed. If they can't get (acceptable) replacements, they need to keep paying. Potentially, this puts you in a position where they move out, don't get their deposit back and you are left chasing new potential housemates. You need to make sure the landlord / agent doesn't give them their deposit back, leaving you to pick up the pieces. As they have been there longer than a year, slightly more than 30 days notice is required.

Its quite possible that they won't be able to get people to move in at the old rent.

Keep an eye on bills and make sure they are paid up to date when they leave. Get meter readings as they are moving out and calculate howmuch they need to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Thanks Victor - good advice

The new couple are only in the house 2 months, the other couple we lived with moved out after the inital 1 year lease ended to move abroad.

Sure, ill have a good read of the lease this evening, wait and see what the other couple do and hopefully make sure i dont get caught for anything

Cheers

Advertisement