Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piking on the suck...

Options
  • 11-03-2009 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

hi all, next monday im taking out the pike rods for the first time in 3 years:eek: going to hit my local spot in the suck in ballyforan. Any ideas what the fishing is like there? i havnt fished it since the FNs started to eat anything that swims

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

No but would be interested to see how you get on. Havn caught a decent one in the past 2 year. The inny was always good, spent 3 days there this year and not even one run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 themaestro

I fish the suck 3/4 times per year as part of a pike club. We have always had decent pike, however the problem with this river in the last two years is it has been badly flooded during the period we fish it. My PB Pike from the Suck was taken back in 2007 at a snippet over 24lbs. In fast running water it feels well over 30lbs. Happy fishing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

the day went ok, had 5 runs, landed 3 pike. bought a new pack of swivels for the day, had the pike of the first run near the net and the swivel broke! needless to say the swivel on the other rod was changed. Fishing for hours without a run, then seen two travelers spinning in the distance, they fluked a 1lb pike (with gear that was in lidl a few weeks ago, they had a beach casting rod with 50lb mono by the looks of it)
    as they got nearer, i never wanted a run more in all my life!! then......beep...beep...beep. 11lb pike, biggest of the day, i returned it to their horror!!
    3 pike landed 11lb, 6-7lb, and 2-3lb.

5 runs with 2 rods between 12:00-17:30. not too bad, roughly the same as the last time I dead baited it 3 years age:eek:

sdc11054.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Fine fish that! What did you use for dead bait?

Loved that bit about the boys using the beachcaster too!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

shamwari wrote: »
    Fine fish that! What did you use for dead bait?

Loved that bit about the boys using the beachcaster too!! :D

mackerel tail.
    The same day i found a around 80 meters of 50lb+ mono left at the bank, and 2 days ago, in nearly the same spot, same thing. my lure bucket has a load of line that was thrown up the bank its unreal, and on more than one occasion i found some braid up the bank.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

mackerel tail.
    The same day i found a around 80 meters of 50lb+ mono left at the bank, and 2 days ago, in nearly the same spot, same thing. my lure bucket has a load of line that was thrown up the bank its unreal, and on more than one occasion i found some braid up the bank.......
    Clearly these "Pikemen" are experts in the field....:D

Advertisement