Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with AIB/English cheque

Options
  • 11-03-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Long story short laugh.gif

I lived in England until I was 12, but since moving here, we still have bank accounts and an assurance out on us? Well, once we each reach a certain age we receive a cheque for £1500, roughly €1600 from Royal Liver. So anyways, received my cheque, obviously in Sterling, went down to my bank, AIB and lodged it. No problems right?

Well, the fellow at the bank told me it would take 2-3 weeks to clear, as they had to send it back to England to cash/clear or whatever? 9d415c41724bd57cad5ac04830e88233b54056c.gif So, I politely explained I'd cashed English cheques all the time (from my bank there, birthdays etc) and it took 3 days at most. So, he went into the back and came out and said "yeah 2-3 weeks"...told my Dad and he automatically thought it was very strange.

That was a MONTH ago, I've been into them and they never bothered to contact me to say there had been a problem. First of all, they had NO business sending that cheque back to England (confirmed by Royal Liver also) and now it seems to have been lost indifferent.gif They said I'd have to get it re-issued, when I rang yesterday, but the Royal Liver said that it shows up as being cashed so they can't re-issue it.

So now my parents want to go down to the bank and get it sorted, I have no idea what to do or say though, I hate talking about money issues. They have logged in their book, that I deposited the cheque with them and the dates/amount etc, so they'll have to re-reimburse me right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Well first of all the cheque HAS to go back to England and the bank the cheque is drawn on. That's what happens to all cheques no matter whether you get cash for them or lodge them to an account. I suspect the bank you lodged the cheque in sent the cheque off directly to the English bank and the English bank should have sent the proceeds back. Possibly the funds are sitting in a branch inhouse account. The bank here can trace it for you with relative ease I should think. At least when I worked in the bank a number of years ago that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Long story short laugh.gif

I lived in England until I was 12, but since moving here, we still have bank accounts and an assurance out on us? Well, once we each reach a certain age we receive a cheque for £1500, roughly €1600 from Royal Liver. So anyways, received my cheque, obviously in Sterling, went down to my bank, AIB and lodged it. No problems right?

Well, the fellow at the bank told me it would take 2-3 weeks to clear, as they had to send it back to England to cash/clear or whatever? 9d415c41724bd57cad5ac04830e88233b54056c.gif So, I politely explained I'd cashed English cheques all the time (from my bank there, birthdays etc) and it took 3 days at most. So, he went into the back and came out and said "yeah 2-3 weeks"...told my Dad and he automatically thought it was very strange.

It depends. They may have given you value for those cheques before they had actually been cleared - but they do that at their own risk. If this was a bigger than normal cheque, then they can insist it that it has to go through the full clearing process before you can get the funds
    That was a MONTH ago, I've been into them and they never bothered to contact me to say there had been a problem.

How would they know there has been a problem?
    First of all, they had NO business sending that cheque back to England (confirmed by Royal Liver also) and now it seems to have been lost indifferent.gif They said I'd have to get it re-issued, when I rang yesterday, but the Royal Liver said that it shows up as being cashed so they can't re-issue it.

Well, I don't see how Royal Liver would be experts at what the banks have/have not to do..

..but it's possible that somewhere along the line it's been credited to an incorrect account. The bank can chase that up for you. You'll probably need to get Royal Liver to get a copy of the cheque from their bank however. Be warned - it's can be a slow process, even for domestic cheques. Never mind foreign ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I'd agree with all of that Buffybot. Hopefully it won't take too long to sort out if the funds have been remitted back to the lodging bank. Just talk to them OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

A cheque, drawn on a bank from France, took 5 1/2 weeks to clear for me at the tail end of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Guys

How long would you expect a GBP cheque to take to clear ?

It's for quite a large amount ( more than 50k ) .

So far it's been 2 weeks and counting..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..merged with a thread from just a few days ago, with relevant information..

Advertisement