Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fernando Torres - Best striker in the world?

• 11-03-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Killme00 wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of a guy called David Villa, or how about Samuel Eto?
    Yeah Villa is great. I dont think he's as good as Torres. And Torres is younger. I think they're both better than Eto

Fernando Torres - Best striker in the world? 124 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    42% 53 votes
    Who cares?
    57% 71 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nah.

Eto'o is definitely a better player than Torres.

For the moment.

Last season Torres couldn't score away from Anfield, and has basically been a crock this season.

How you can actually make such a claim is laughable tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Des wrote: »
    Nah.

For the moment.

Last season Torres couldn't score away from Anfield, and has basically been a crock this season.

I'd have to disagree with you there bud. I'd be here all day typing why your wrong so I wont bother. :D
    "His armband proved he was a red. you'll never walk alone it said"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

lint316 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with you there bud. I'd be here all day typing why your wrong so I wont bother. :D

No please enlighten us. It should be interesting to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'd be here all day typing why your wrong so I wont bother. :D

Could it be that you have no real reasons?

Go on then.

And the lyrics of a chant prove nothing about his ability by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I'd also like to hear your reason behind Torres > Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Des wrote: »
    Nah.

For the moment.

Last season he scored 32 goals. Including one at the San Siro and Stamford Bridge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

noodler wrote: »
    Last season he scored 32 goals. Including one at the San Siro and Stamford Bridge.

Operative words right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Imo I think Torres is the best in the world also. I think if you asked the majority of football fans people would pick Torres as the best.

His first season in a different country and he scored 32 goals. In Big games aswell as the small ones.

This season hampered by injury he has still been able to score goals,show up when we needed him (portsmouth) and last night he was unbelievable. That turn he did at the start of the game was a thing of beauty. He has age on his side to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So what? Sure Olivier Kapo has scored twice there in the last two seasons. Scoring at a particular ground counts for feck all.

• Advertisement

In FIFA World Player of the year Torres was voted 3rd, Eto 7th and David Villa 9th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Torres is not the best CF in the world, but he has the promise to be one.

Liverpool have one brilliant game with Torres playing very well, and all of a sudden he's the best striker in the world.

I know it's your opinion but seriously think about it rather than saying it off the back of a great win.

A7X wrote: »

Liverpool have one brilliant game with Torres playing very well, and all of a sudden he's the best striker in the world.

I know it's your opinion but seriously think about it rather than saying it off the back of a great win.
    Has nothing to do with last night. That was jsut one game. Liverpool played great but Madrid werent at the races. In fact, Torres was far from his best last night apart from the opening 20 minutes

In FIFA World Player of the year Torres was voted 3rd, Eto 7th and David Villa 9th.
    The FIFA Awards are the biggest load of bollox this side of Mars tbh

This.

Operative words right there.

But entirely relevant to the post I was replying to if you will be so kind as to notice
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    So what? Sure Olivier Kapo has scored twice there in the last two seasons. Scoring at a particular ground counts for feck all.

Yeah but Kapo falls down under the 'scored 32 goals in one season' criterion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Torres is Good, he is no Robbie Keane though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

LOL so because he was voted for something based on last season it automatically counts for the here and now.

Thats a joke of an argument.

Torres had a better season that Eto last year possibly due to injuries to Eto.

Eto has had a better season than Torres this year (so far) possibly due to injuries to Torres.

Boggles wrote: »
    Torres is Good, he is no Robbie Keane though. ;)

Ah yeah but he is only young, give it a few more years.

Obviously Eto'o has to be seen as better based on his current season. Whether or not Torres would have scored as many is all ifs and buts but we do know for certain that Eto'o did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That same list had Andres Iniesta outside the top 50, so it is entirely flawed.

I think Etoo is a better striker than Torres, for the moment. He is a better poacher, and a better finisher. Likewise David Villa. Both of whom have scored plenty at international level also. None of that is to say anything bad about Torres though.
    joe123 wrote:
    I think if you asked the majority of football fans people would pick Torres as the best.

Majority of English supporting fans maybe, not Spanish ones, and apparently not of fans of both either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Ronaldo (who a lot of Liverpool fans here and elsewhere insist is a striker) scored 42, including one in the Champions League final so surely he's the best forward in the world?

• Advertisement

Iago wrote: »
    Ronaldo (who a lot of Liverpool fans here and elsewhere insist is a striker) scored 42, including one in the Champions League final so surely he's the best forward in the world?

No he's not because he's a cheat. *sarcasm btw*

I would rate Ronaldo alot LOT higher than Torres. I believe he has proved much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

how anyone can look beyond eto'o is laughable

23 league goals in 24 starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not yet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The poll might aswell be

Are you a Pool fan?

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Who Cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

last night, especially in the first 20 mins was one of the most electric performances from a striker i have seen in years, if he played that way even 60% of the time I would say yes he is the best in the world - but until he maintains last nights kind of form he wont be the best in the world!

I think he will be in the next 2/3 seasons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Iago wrote: »

Cristiano is sooo last year

I imagine the OP is talking about current best striker in the world, not best at some point in the past.

Inzaghi got three for Milan last weekend. Is he the best?

But, Torres, not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd say if you put a gun to my head I'd pick Eto'o but its a silly argument really. Being one of the best is about as far as it goes, no matter who you pick somebody can point something. You say Torres and someone can say he is not nearly as consitent as Eto'o, but they say he is in a tougher league, you say he has only been there a short while, and on and on.

For me its a top ten list and Torres is on that list no argument. You have so many other guys such as Eto'o, Villa, Sergio Aguerro has to come into the equation now, Luca Toni at club leve has been so lethal for a number of years now but again people will question the leagues he has played in, do Messi and Ronaldo enter the argument, what about Adebayor who has been lethal this season and last? Anelka, Robinho, what about this Helmes in the Bundesliga or even Ibesivic and Ibrahomivic and young Pato.

I think you can give a rating to strkers over their whole career but I personally don't like picking a numero uno at any given time as the ultimate best right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Great Striker or The Greatest Striker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

yes but no... but yes but no.. but

1)i'd like to see etoo & villa in the PL to see if they'd be able to adapt to the change of pace like FT did...

2) etoo has 23 in 24 'cos he plays in a league with a big1 not a big4, La liga's muppetry is much worse than the PL's & also he plays with Messi!! (that'll give +10 to most strikers)

3) if 'the Drog' really does come back to his real best then everybody better 'be afraid, be very afraid'

4) what about Clinton Mor...... lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I even forgot to mention Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

was there any particular reason this thread was started today?

is it because he scored a tap in from 5 yards against real?

ntlbell wrote: »

Off topic post's in the Man united v Liverpool thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Inzaghi got three for Milan last weekend. Is he the best?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Who cares?

ntlbell wrote: »

Glad you saw the highlights but it was his all round display.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

regardless of his performance last night...

i voted yes...cant see past him tbh...pace, power, movement, commitment and finishing...cant mark him down on any of those...

and to boot...he has his motives in the right place...was courted by every big club in europe for years but held out for a team and coach he wanted to play for...and has always re-itereated his desire to play for them...no matter who hes been linked with or whether times have been good or bad in the media...

so a class act in more ways then one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Its virtually impossible to give a clear yes or no to who you think is the best stiker in the world..............torres has come to england and scored 32 goals in his first season, while having not much in the creative department to help him get the goals. People saying etoo is clearly the best are clearly delusional to a degree, in the fact that he has the calibre of iniesta, xavi, messi et al creating bucket loads of chances for him and ronaldinho was virtually unplayable a few years back for barca giving etoo all the chances in the world to score.

If etoo played in the toughest league(the prem) and converted 32 in his first season then i would have to acknowledge that as being a great/greatest striker..................imo, torres makes alot of his own chances and from what ive seen of etoo gets quite alot laid on a plate for him due to the creative talent around him.

All things considered, i think managers in both the prem and la liga know torres is a great striker but torres is playing in the best league and etoo clearly is not. That madrid team won 7 on the bounce didnt they in the league recently and , like a poster said earlier, burnley would have put in a better show against liverpool last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Villa is the best by a country mile.

At Atletico their fans regard Forlan as better as Torres never scored 20 league goals a season for them while Forlan is on course to do it 2 years in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Certainly not! After one good game? Come on!
    Samuel Eto'o has been the best striker, and will be the best striker in the world for some time. Pity he's such a nutter

daithijjj wrote: »
    Its virtually impossible to give a clear yes or no to who you think is the best stiker in the world..............torres has come to england and scored 32 goals in his first season, while having not much in the creative department to help him get the goals.

Are you sayin all Torres' goals have to put on a plate for him to score? That he can't create his own chances?

Off the tope of my head, there is the goal against Chelsea at Anfield last year (Skinning Ben Haim), then the goal against City at home (skinning Dunne), the unbelievable strike out of nothing away to Boro, his amazing turn last night in the Madrid game, 2nd goal of his hat trick against Boro last season, his goal away to Inter last seaon etc etc.

Or did you mean he doesn't create much for other Liverpool players?

• Advertisement

To clarify, does best striker in the world mean best/prolific goal scorer in this thread?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Are you sayin all Torres' goals have to put on a plate for him to score? That he can't create his own chances?

Off the tope of my head, there is the goal against Chelsea at Anfield last year (Skinning Ben Haim), then the goal against City at home (skinning Dunne), the unbelievable strike out of nothing away to Boro, his amazing turn last night in the Madrid game, 2nd goal of his hat trick against Boro last season, his goal away to Inter last seaon etc etc.

no he was saying he scored goals without having much creativity behind him a Liverpool - Gerrad, Alonso? - whereas at Barce Etoo would have had Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, and before he left Ronnie and several other top class creative players.

Off topic post's in the Man united v Liverpool thread

How is it off topic?

It's a genuine question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I dont think you read my whole post noodler, i clearly stated that torres makes alot of his own chances in the middle paragraph.

To say he doesnt create chances is rediculas. Sure he was the one that got on the end of Carra's long ball last night which led to his goal. He set up Steve Gerrard's goal against Everton this season with great skill. Thats just two goals off the top of my head

Glad you saw the highlights but it was his all round display.

I saw the whole game but I don't understand how his performance last night would start a thread on him being the best striker in the world seems absolutely bizzare to me

Liverpool last night were bloody awesome.

Real were a shambles.

Torres was ok.

but the best srtiker in the world?

come off it...

There's wingers in the prem at the moment with more goals

i won't name names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

torres was the best in the world last year.

he is not this year.

he definately has the potential to be the best in the world for quite some time.

he is a ride.

end of thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mr Alan wrote: »

he is not this year.

he is a ride.

I'm sorry, but I have to disgaree, Cristiano Ronaldo, last year, put Torres in his pocket.

I do think Torres will be the best striker in a few years. Also, he does look like an angel :o

I'm a man and straight, but well, he is dreamy!

Mr Alan wrote: »

Thought Adebayor myself, well in England anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I would find it very very hard to pick between Torres, Villa and Eto'o. They're all absolutely gifted, incredible finishers, have massive pace, strength and ingenuity. Eto'o in particularly has been just incredible over the past few seasons and was unlucky with some serious injuries, but as soon as he comes back, each time, and regains a little fitness, he picks right up where he left off.

Villa and Torres I would have on exactly the same level really,they're slightly different propositions though. Id rather Torres for an English based team as he has that incredible attitude to get stuck in, and the physical build to back it up. Villa, im not sure would be quite as prolific if getting constantly roughed up. Though i do think his finishing is possibly slightly better then Torres (very very slightly), with Eto'os being the best.

Next in the line for me is Drogba. What sets him back from the rest for me is that he goes on genuinely poor runs, even when fully fit, which the others pretty much never do. Any poor run Eto'o or Torres has had has been wholly down to recovering from injury.

So I'm going with;
    1) Eto'o
    2) Torres
    3) Villa (though almost neck and neck with torres)
    4) Drogba

• Advertisement
Advertisement