Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fernando Torres - Best striker in the world?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Torres is not even in the top 5. He had a good season last year playing in a team that centred every attack around him. His record at Atletico was good but not outstanding. Toni has had an outstanding record for years now. Eto'o had a one season blip. Del Piero has absolutely shone in the last 3 seasons despite competing for places with 3 other strikers in a Ranieri rotation system. Ibra's skill is unparalleled. Villa is consistent but I haven't seen enough to judge. The only thing that would make torres more valuable than the above is youth and that he plays in England

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Torres is alot like a good dog, He's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mayordenis wrote: »
    Torres is alot like a good dog, He's good.

Thats very insightful.

Can't disagree with it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Torres is not even in the top 5. He had a good season last year playing in a team that centred every attack around him. His record at Atletico was good but not outstanding. Toni has had an outstanding record for years now. Eto'o had a one season blip. Del Piero has absolutely shone in the last 3 seasons despite competing for places with 3 other strikers in a Ranieri rotation system. Ibra's skill is unparalleled. Villa is consistent but I haven't seen enough to judge. The only thing that would make torres more valuable than the above is youth and that he plays in England

When talking about the top top top level, I wouldn't consider Ibra or Toni. They are both absolutely fantastic players, and Ibra is one of the most gifted players with the ball at his feet, but he does have a tendency to just disappear at times. Toni has the perfect brain for football, but not the perfect form. If he was a bit smaller and able to move a bit faster then maybe. As it is he's still always a right place at teh right time kind of guy, but i think if we're talking about best in the world, there needs to be more. Ibra would be my number 5 though.

I love Del so refuse to say a bad word about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think his performance's on an international level would suggest he's No 1 striker in Europe at least.

I think his performance's on an international level would suggest he's No 1 striker in Europe at least.

thats a tough one to say, Villa had the better tournament at Euro 2008 after all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, he's crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What's up with Pool fans saying Torres is good looking?
    He looks like a little girl. Oh I see.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think the greatest strikers around at the moment are probably the Cork 08 Hurlers.
    Went on strike and got rid of their manager. That's a stunning result right there.

Worst strikers are probably the taxi drivers. FFS they can't even find anywhere to park when they go on strike :rolleyes:

The question is pretty pointless because you first need to define what the phrase "best striker in the world" means.

If you ask the question is Torres among the best strikers in the world, I think there would be a pretty unanimous agreement that he is up there among the elite. However there is simply no accurate objective way to conclusively prove the best question definatively and as such it's a bit of a waste of time.

Personally I'm just overjoyed he's a Liverpool player :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Originally Posted by HashSlinging viewpost.gif
    I think his performance's on an international level would suggest he's No 1 striker in Europe at least

Villa has outscored him all teh time in Spanish league and for the national team

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

ntlbell wrote: »
    I saw the whole game but I don't understand how his performance last night would start a thread on him being the best striker in the world seems absolutely bizzare to me

His performance last night didn't start this thread. This thread was created from posts in the Man Utd v Pool thread that was opened. The posts were considered off topic and so extracted and placed into a seperate thread (this thread).

It all started by someone saying Torres is better than all the Man Utd strikers and blah blah blah.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Torres 59 apps 18 gls
    Villa 42 apps 25 gls
    Podolski 60 apps 31 gls

I just took two others I could think of, and both are way better. Villa is approx twice as good as Torres if you want to use international credentials

Torres was Captain at Atletico when he was 19, so he's got leadership skills also. So his future is bright.. Agreed on the villa comparison. Villa is a bit of a poacher though, I'd go for torres he’s younger has proven he very adaptable, he's adapted a lot faster than Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Torres or Eto??

Torres every day of the week. Eto play's for Barca & misses more than he scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It all started by someone saying Torres is better than all the Man Utd strikers and blah blah blah.....

he is in fairness ;)

• Advertisement

How many assists has torres had at an international level. I dont know myself but I'd say a lot.. at a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

How many assists has torres had at an international level. I dont know myself but I'd say a lot.. at a guess.
    One assist in the Euros to Villa's two

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=24257&cc=5739

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he is in fairness ;)

point taken...
    but utd have gotten themselves into the curious situation of not actually having a striker in the classic sense...

Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez...

all more "second" strikers if you like, coming off the play, dropping deep, creating as well as scoring.

so while i agree, that in a striking roll purely....torres pretty much walks it for me...utd havent had a comparable player like that since van nistlerooy...

hmmm....

now theres a comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Torres 59 apps 18 gls
    Villa 42 apps 25 gls
    Podolski 60 apps 31 gls

I just took two others I could think of, and both are way better. Villa is approx twice as good as Torres if you want to use international credentials

Torres made his debut for spain aged 19.

Villa made his aged 24.

Using your logic, should i consider that torres may well end up having played way more times for spain or should i just ignore international caps completely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ridiculous comparrison, Torres is a different breed to RVN. Work rate, skill etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

basically if you wanna know who is the best man at any one thing in the world then dont follow a team sport, it will always be debateable!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ridiculous comparrison, Torres is a different breed to RVN. Work rate, skill etc etc etc

as is youre original comparison of torres and any of utds current front line...

different breed, work rate, skill etc.

different types of players to torres, but you compared them...

imo...RVN was utds last "goalscorer" up front...torres is a "goalscorer"...and since youre interested in comparing utds strike force with torres... i simply found the closest match and compared the two...hardly ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wouldn't swap Torres for either of Berbatov, Rooney or Tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

LOL, so best striker in the world now equals the striker with most goals, so andy cole was a far better striker than eric cantona :rolleyes: robbie fowler was three times as good as cantona that time he scored 36 goals in a season :)

i agree with Mr Alan, best striker in the world last year without question and every goal from open play too, this year he has only played 14 league matches and hasn't been anyway near the form of last year for the most part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Boggles wrote: »
    Wouldn't swap Torres for either of Berbatov, Rooney or Tevez.

I would but I'm not telling which one :)

rossie1977 wrote: »
    LOL, so best striker in the world now equals the striker with most goals, so andy cole was a far better striker than eric cantona :

not sure where youre coming from...who said that?

I would but I'm not telling which one :)

I can guess. :mad:

Actually would prefer Adebayor at United then Torres.

gotta admit, if he hadnt of signed for liverpool, would love torres at utd. couldnt bring myself now...no matter how good he is...

adebayor i never really got...outstanding one minute...bewildering the next...too hit and miss for me.

I'm sure you could. :)

I don't Adebayor will constantly get you goals, I think Torres would once he stayed injury free.

Torres has scored as much as Ade this year even though Torres has played less games.

Now if you are discussing which one would suit Uniteds team more. Well thats a discussion for the united thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

not sure where youre coming from...who said that?

read the thread, someone said forlan :eek: was better than torres because he scored more goals, another said wingers have scored more goals, there is no logic in this when you consider i can say steven gerrard is best striker in england because he has scored most goals this season, yeah more than torres, drogba, rooney, or ronaldo or anelka or Adebayor :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Sorry double post

rossie1977 wrote: »
    read the thread, someone said forlan :eek: was better than torres because he scored more goals, another said wingers have scored more goals, there is no logic in this when you consider i can say steven gerrard is best striker in england because he has scored most goals this season, yeah more than torres, drogba, rooney, or ronaldo or anelka or Adebayor :cool:

cool, sorry,

i agree by the way.

I'm sure you could. :)

I don't Adebayor will constantly get you goals, I think Torres would once he stayed injury free.

Torres has scored as much as Ade this year even though Torres has played less games.

Now if you are discussing which one would suit Uniteds team more. Well thats a discussion for the united thread.

Adebayor got a similar haul of goals as Torres last season, plus he wasn't shy away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

United fan, I'd rate Torres in top 5 certainly, he is a excellent finisher and has tremendous pace and touch, he has bucket loads of potential and is terrific to watch.

Top 5 in no order I'd have:
    Torres
    Villa
    Etoo
    Toni
    Rooney( controversial I know)

I'd have Benzema/Aguero pushing into this group aswell btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

This is a bit pointless really. Some are going to say he is, some are going to say hes not. Blah Blah.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

joe123 wrote: »
    This is a bit pointless really. Some are going to say he is, some are going to say hes not. Blah Blah.
    You just summed up every debatable thread topic in the world.

Let's just shut boards now and call it a day.

You just summed up every debatable thread topic in the world.

Let's just shut boards now and call it a day.

But theres really not alot of discussion going on. Its people saying No hes not Eto is. Or people saying he is. I cant see the point of it. Personally I think he is, someone else will come say hes not. Its not really going anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

torres, villa, eto'o, ibra, toni, drogba, berbatov, anelka

they are pretty much the best strikers going atm.
    i think eto'o would be number one there as he has been the man the past 5 seasons or so. hes simply incredible

messi, ronaldo, kaka, henry arent really playing as strikers atm tho

joe123 wrote: »
    But theres really not alot of discussion going on. Its people saying No hes not Eto is. Or people saying he is. I cant see the point of it. Personally I think he is, someone else will come say hes not. Its not really going anywhere.

Solution = Don't click on the thread.

• Advertisement

Solution = Don't click on the thread.

done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jazzy wrote: »
    torres, villa, eto'o, ibra, toni, drogba, berbatov, anelka

they are pretty much the best strikers going atm.
    i think eto'o would be number one there as he has been the man the past 5 seasons or so. hes simply incredible

messi, ronaldo, kaka, henry arent really playing as strikers atm tho
    See this is what I mean, you name players there but have no room for Adebayor, Van Persie, Aguero, Robinho among others.
    Everybody differs greatly and to pick one out is just impossible. The only time I think I was certain I knew who the best striker in the world was at the time was when Van Basten was playing. Even then many others disagreed with that.

For the top spot, i think its very very hard to argue against Eto'o. He has everything.

Since he joined barca he has 100 league goals in 131 league starts, and that coming with a number of injuries he had to recover from too. In that period he also became the all time highest scoring african.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Torres has had one good season in his entire career! He has a poor record at International football (Robbie Keanes is better, and he has a sh!te midfield supplying him), lets not jump the gun.
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Henry, David Villa, Eto'o and Drogba are all ahead of him.

Quint wrote: »
    Torres has had one good season in his entire career! He has a poor record at International football (Robbie Keanes is better, and he has a sh!te midfield supplying him), lets not jump the gun.
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Henry, David Villa, Eto'o and Drogba are all ahead of him.

Quite the silly post really. Torres has clearly developed massively as a player over the past 2 years. Right NOW, Torres is amongst the very best in the world.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Quite the silly post really. Torres has clearly developed massively as a player over the past 2 years. Right NOW, Torres is amongst the very best in the world.

If last night was one of his best games, the "best striker in the world", who's job is to score goals, missed a lot of sitters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

He's not even the best striker for the Spanish national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone who draws parrallel with Keane deserves whatever might be coming to them! :D

eZe^ wrote: »
    He's not even the best striker for the Spanish national team.

Exactly, Villa's strike is far better.
    David Villa: 42 Appearences, 25 Goals
    Fernando Torres: 59 Appearences, 18 Goals (4 of them were against San Marino!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Craft25 wrote: »
    yes but no... but yes but no.. but

1)i'd like to see etoo & villa in the PL to see if they'd be able to adapt to the change of pace like FT did...

2) etoo has 23 in 24 'cos he plays in a league with a big1 not a big4, La liga's muppetry is much worse than the PL's & also he plays with Messi!! (that'll give +10 to most strikers)

3) if 'the Drog' really does come back to his real best then everybody better 'be afraid, be very afraid'

4) what about Clinton Mor...... lol

Arguably the stupidest post ever on boards. The mighty drog? The same Drogba who has only once scored more than 20 goals in the premier league. Gtfo.

Quint wrote: »
    Exactly, Villa's strike is far better.
    David Villa: 42 Appearences, 25 Goals
    Fernando Torres: 59 Appearences, 18 Goals (4 of them were against San Marino!)

I wouldn't say far better, but I think he is a more rounded player, at one point in the season 50% of his shots on target were goals. Fantastic player, so quick, intelligent and deadly.

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone who draws parrallel with Keane deserves whatever might be coming to them! :D

Just pointing out that "the best striker in the world" has a worse strike rate than Robbie at international football, even with the best midfield in the world supplying him with passes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement