Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a guiter - how much?

• 11-03-2009 1:08pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm interested in learning how to play the acoustic guitar and, as such, I want to buy one. I just want to get a bog-standard introductory-level one - nothing more than I need. How much would I be looking at spending?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

do you know anyone who's into guitar? you could pick up a 2nd hand one if you had someone to make sure it was ok. otherwise, if you getting lessons you could ask your teacher to recommend one or check out starter packages in your local music shop.

Unless you really committed i wouldn't advise spending too much on your first guitar. i got my first as pressie (5mths ago) and think it was about 250 for a very good classical type which was great for learning chords and stuff but now i find the neck a bit wide for playing barre chords so wanna get something different.

I think there might be thread here somewhere giving advice on starter guitars so have a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Tanglewood make great guitars for cheap enough prices. You could get a good one for around €200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Dord...I wouldn't recommend the APX series yamahas. They are fine plugged in but definitely lack acoustically. Maybe an FG series yammie would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Garisson are really nice gutiars and are quite affordable ranging from 300-500
    Xmusic stock them.

For "starter" acoustic guitars I always tell people that Yamaha f310 (I think it is) from Argos is grand. Only about 120 or something. Lots of people who don't/can't play but want to start to learn buy guitars and then drop it after a few lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Dord...I wouldn't recommend the APX series yamahas. They are fine plugged in but definitely lack acoustically. Maybe an FG series yammie would be better.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I was lookin' at them myself and read good reviews.

Alan, what the hell are you doing recommending someone to buy a guitar in Argos?

Soldie, you should go to a guitar store to buy a guitar or if thats not possible get one from a music store online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

The Yamaha in the Argos is affordable and the OP is only just learning. Guitar shops are very intimidating places when you're not used to them ;)

€125 is good for a begineer's guitar (that is, a guitar for someone just starting out)
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5400674/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C12108813/c_2/2%7Ccat_12108813%7CMusical+instruments%7C12108878.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/search_dir.html?xsid=5d8e16561102f556d51522b8fa2ec231&sw=yamaha+f310

Same price as Thomann as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

That yamaha f310 is actually pretty decent to start out on... New set of strings and your flyin.

Advertisement