Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Warming Thread, Green Issues

Options
  • 11-03-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello,

OscarBravo is in the process of stirring up a commotion on this thread.

He has came in, threw his weight around, issued threats and seems intend on locking the thread.

He then claims the right to amend the charter so that all "deniers" are barred from discussion.

I suggest you look into this.

I am not getting a site ban over such outrageous abuse of moderator duties.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'll discuss this if and when it's moved to the Help Desk, where it belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JonnyMaguire

O.k.

Explain this. How can you possibly amend a charter to stop active discussion on global warming, a topic which is being used as an excuse to implement radical changes that will effect the lives of everyone in this country, amd worldwide?

He has came in, threw his weight around, issued threats and seems intend on locking the thread.

He then claims the right to amend the charter so that all "deniers" are barred from discussion.
    I opened a discussion on whether the thread should stay open. The only "threat" I issued was in response to your accusation that I am under orders (from whom is unclear) to stifle debate.

As a matter of interest, have you ever had another user account banned from the Green Issues forum on boards.ie?

Explain this. How can you possibly amend a charter to stop active discussion on global warming, a topic which is being used as an excuse to implement radical changes that will effect the lives of everyone in this country, amd worldwide?
    I'm not interested in stopping discussion, which I clearly stated in the thread. I'm interested in promoting discussion, which would be facilitated by removing all the semi-hysterical borderline conspiracy-theoryesque nonsense that makes up a significant portion of the "debate".

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I opened a discussion on whether the thread should stay open. The only "threat" I issued was in response to your accusation that I am under orders (from whom is unclear) to stifle debate.

No. You stated that you would like to amend the charter, with the intent of stopping all counter arguments on this global warming agenda.

As a matter of interest, have you ever had another user account banned from the Green Issues forum on boards.ie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_of_Paul

• Advertisement

I'm not interested in stopping discussion, which I clearly stated in the thread. I'm interested in promoting discussion, which would be facilitated by removing all the semi-hysterical borderline conspiracy-theoryesque nonsense that makes up a significant portion of the "debate".

But surely you would define anything against this agenda as conspiracy theory nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Here's the crux of it:
    This thread isn't a debate. One one side you have science and logic, and on the other you have "I was golfing in America last year", "it's snowing in March" and unsubstantiated claims of the whole thing being a con to excuse increased taxation.

It's a scientific discussion. Either you use peer-reviewed science to back up your claims or you abstain from the discussion. Links to badly-written blogs about personal theories and anything else which amounts to nothing more then paranoia and scare tactics are not scientific. If something had scientific merit, the people on the other side of the debate will take it seriously, even if they believe it to be false or otherwise find it to be false.

You can claim there's an "agenda" here - that's your problem. If you believe that someone is paying boards or oB to stifle debate then you know where you're free to go. If you want to continue debating here though you need to accept the fact that there's no agenda here except that agenda which requires logical, reasonable and scientifically-based debating on the topic of global warming.

Advertisement