Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi queues in Eyre Square

Options
  • 11-03-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

is anything being done about this at all, at all???

It's ridiculous - this morning, there were taxis parked around the corner near Garveys, and all the way up that side of Eyre Square towards Bohermore - so if you were coming from Foster Street, you had to anticipate taxis parking there, blocking the road - and swerve to the other lane, and then try and changes langes again inbetween all the busses to turn right into Bohermore.

It's dangerous. And annoying. And the drivers don't give a flying f*ck.

/rant over.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There was a brief period where the Gardai were ticketing the one's waiting beyond the rank on Bridge St. Proper order too as they're blocking the footpath as well.

The taxis then moaned, as is their wont, and the cops have backed off. You really can't win with them. They moaned that the market value of a plate was too much and now they moan that it's too easy to enter the trade. They moan about foreigners in the trade not knowing the locale yet I've had locals who have tried to use a GPS to find the Barna Road.

At Eyre Square it's bloody dangerous for motorists at Garvey's corner and again when they park in the middle of the pedestrian crossing outside Richardson's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yeah it gets tight trying to pass down forster street if the taxis are backed up and just on the road waiting for an opening. you would think that there would be plenty of spots around town so they could all disperse out..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

you would think that there would be plenty of spots around town so they could all disperse out..?
    They need to be in town so they dont have to travel far for one of their weekly protest about licences, fares, the weather, communism etc

LowOdour wrote: »
    They need to be in town so they dont have to travel far for one of their weekly protest about licences, fares, the weather, communism etc

oh yes! how could i possibly forget that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

yeah it gets tight trying to pass down forster street if the taxis are backed up and just on the road waiting for an opening. you would think that there would be plenty of spots around town so they could all disperse out..?

Nope, the hackneys are in 'em already ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Its bad now but it might be getting worse

As for the cops doing them on Bridge St. I saw it one night and all that happened was the cops came up knocked on the window with the book out and taxis drove off, only to come back about 5minutes later when the cops had left.

By drove off I mean just went without the cops getting to speak to them. If any Joe soap drove off on a guard when they wanted to have a little chat to us we would be chased down and have the book thrown at us.

JustMary wrote: »
    Nope, the hackneys are in 'em already ;-)

oh yeah, forgot about pro and cara on the square..
    kayos wrote: »
    Its bad now but it might be getting worse

Great. Just Great. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ya its very annoying as well how the cabs parked outside Fibbers will pull out as soon as they see there is a space across the road in the Eyre sq taxi rank. Its like they don't bother even looking in their side view mirror to see if there is any cars coming and if they do look they must just assume it's their God given right to pull out it front of people because they own these streets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's not just taxis either, they are not so bad as there is generally a person in them who can move on.
    Look at all those equally numerous vans and private cars that are illegally abandoned all over the city centre restricting traffic flow as well ie. Dominick St., Woodquay, Cross St.

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's not just taxis either, they are not so bad as there is generally a person in them who can move on.
    Look at all those equally numerous vans and private cars that are illegally abandoned all over the city centre restricting traffic flow as well ie. Dominick St., Woodquay, Cross St.

Yup both PSV holders and non PSV holders can park like ass hats. But you will find one group do it more often.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

kayos wrote: »
    Yup both PSV holders and non PSV holders can park like ass hats. But you will find one group do it more often.

Exactly, there are far more non-psv vehicles in galway, so it must be them

snubbleste wrote: »
    Exactly, there are far more non-psv vehicles in galway, so it must be them

I would beg to differ. Simply as the ratio of ass hats in the general public is much lower than in the PSV holders when it comes to this.

Heck only a couple of weeks ago the cops had to get involved when some PSV holders would not move for the fire brigade...They were in their cars but would not move...

Its not all PSV drivers that do this, but there are enough of them to cause a big problem around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

It's just difficult to believe that the guards are actually ignoring this potentially really dangerous situation. How can they look on and not fine people for dangerous driving or obstruction?

This is an accident waiting to happen, and it is easily avoidable - the city should have just copped on when they built the new bus station to provide taxi spaces (maybe they'll do that when they build the new train station? Two bords, one stone? Then again, it's our council - they're not exactly know for great planning decisions around here....

Or maybe they could stop issueing so many licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I have to laugh when the taxi drivers say they might bring the city to a standstill with a protest over the issueing of new taxi plates.

They already do their level best every single day to bring the city to a standstill with their illegal parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Crazy amount of taxis these days, still its handy after a night on the lash !

Sorry bit off topic here but I still cant get my head around the fact that there are more taxis in Dublin than in New York :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Crazy amount of taxis these days,

For all the drivers are complaining, they must be making a living out of it. If they weren't, they'd be hanging up their plates and signing-on.

My heart bleeds that they're not making the same standard of living that they were in the good 'ole days when you had to wait a couple of hours for a taxi at busy times. (NOT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The Taxis had it good for too long and now want to return to the bad old days of restrictions and create difficulties for people who want a taxi at the weekend to get home from the pub etc.
    I heard them looking for a moratorium on new applications for taxi licences and there seem to be a large number of them around which is good for the customers. Lets hope safety isn't compromised by the numbers but it is up to the cops to enforce safety standards for all.
    Other sectors have to put up with large numbers of people competing with each other and no one complains but the taxi drivers seem to think they are a special case.
    They haven't.
    The real winners here are the government with revenue from the licenses and the insurance companies who have more premiums paid as more people enter the fray for the business.
    I think business will increase as people will not take the chance of drink-driving especially in the recession and jobs being scarce nobody can afford to lose their licence and their job as there is no alternative available.
    There should be a way of releasing audited figures of what a taxi driver can earn so that people can make an informed decision whether or not to become a taxi driver. Of course the existing taxi driver population will be against this as it gives the revenue too much information but the real figures might deter new applicants from joining.

The worst is when a taxi is parked at the pedestrian crossing at the top of Eyre Square. I've seen this done regularly. Surely it's illegal??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Crazy amount of taxis these days, still its handy after a night on the lash !

Sorry bit off topic here but I still cant get my head around the fact that there are more taxis in Dublin than in New York :eek:

New York's public transportation system is also far more extensive.

Advertisement