Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My ban

Options
  • 11-03-2009 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

I was banned from the Pro Wrestling forum for a week by Orestes. Heres what happened. There was a debate going on about a wrestlers character (ye know yerselves with the wrestling like. I've been a die hard fan for YEARS but at the end of the day, its not real, so I dont understand people getting that worked up over things). So I said more or less, its fake lads, relax. So then, completly off topic, a mod from another forum who wont name said something along the lines of "make love to me, in a fake way". This post was THANKED by Orestes, among others. Seeing as our mod seemed to not mind the humour, I replied with "I have a problem with my penis where everytime I make love, its a fake way. At least for year". One week ban. I find this shocking in all honesty. I was told i went off topic numerous times (these posts wern't shown to me when I asked, ironically) and Orestes refused to tell me if the person who BROUGHT THE THREAD OFF TOPIC was banned.

Is it me now or is that a bit much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

By all accounts, you were the person who began to bring the thread off topic with this post:
    Here boys, wrestling is fake. If you want realism, watch the news or something
    I imagine your continued off topic posting didn't help.

It's a week, which is longer than I would have given, but I wouldn't say it's excessive. I'm also not in full possession of your history - perhaps you're known for doing this or you've been warned about it before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You were banned for repeatedly dragging the thread off topic. Antagonistic "wrestling is fake" type posts are also covered in the charter of the forum.

The reason the ban is a week is because you have recieved four infractions from moderators in the Pro Wrestling forum (three red, one yellow) and I felt with this history a ban was appropriate under the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I dont think a life long wrestling fan saying it is the same as a troll saying it to be honest with you and I'd be suprised it you did too. I really for the life of me can't figure out why you would thank someone for bringing the thread off topic yet i get the ban for replying to it.

And seen as though you were not the mod who gave them infractions, I feel a simple pm would have sufficed. Needless to say, I'm not the first person to complain about these easy bannings that have sucked the life out of the pw forum

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I dont think a life long wrestling fan saying it is the same as a troll saying it to be honest with you and I'd be suprised it you did too.

So you think that because you are a life-long wrestling fan you are entitled to break the rules of the forum? I disagree.
    I really for the life of me can't figure out why you would thank someone for bringing the thread off topic yet i get the ban for replying to it.

Why I thanked a post is irrelevant here as it has nothing to do with your ban. You were banned for repeatedly dragging that thread off topic and for trolling.
    And seen as though you were not the mod who gave them infractions, I feel a simple pm would have sufficed. Needless to say, I'm not the first person to complain about these easy bannings that have sucked the life out of the pw forum

You think that because I wasn't the mod who issued them they shouldn't be taken into account? Who issued the infractions is not important (I issued one of them by the way, just for the sake of clarity), the infraction system is in place so that moderators can keep track of users stepping over the line and refer to past user activity when making decicions. This is what was done in this case, as with 4 infractions in the same forum I felt that a ban was appropriate as you have apparently not learned from the infractions.

Regarding other people complaining about bannings, they are entitled to start a help desk thread if they see fit, but I will not discuss other users bannings with you.

You REALLY cant understand that the post you thanked was off-topic? Is it okay for mods to go off-topic or something? And you have yet to show me where I was REPEATEDLY dragging that thread off-topic and trolling. As far as I can remember, the post that got me banned was my first post in that particular thread. I'd back this up myself with proof, but, y'know, I'm banned from the forum.

And may I ask my you thanked that particular post? You should have known when thanking it that people would see you did. If you didnt want people to see that you should really have pm'd him or something

• Advertisement

You REALLY cant understand that the post you thanked was off-topic? Is it okay for mods to go off-topic or something? And you have yet to show me where I was REPEATEDLY dragging that thread off-topic and trolling. As far as I can remember, the post that got me banned was my first post in that particular thread. I'd back this up myself with proof, but, y'know, I'm banned from the forum.

And may I ask my you thanked that particular post? You should have known when thanking it that people would see you did. If you didnt want people to see that you should really have pm'd him or something

That user is not a mod of the Pro Wrestling forum, that point is completely irrelevant here.

You can log out and get the urls of the threads/posts in forum that way if you desire to do so. You were banned for your posts in that thread, as a whole, not for either one. You dragged the thread off topic in a trollish fashion and with your history of infractions in the forum I felt that a ban was warranted in this instance.

Hang on, people can see what posts I thank? Damn, it looks like my evil mod conspiracy to ban you has back-fired at the last hurdle, all of that time and planning I put into my fiendish plan has been undone by my reckless post thanking!

Serious answer: what difference does it make what posts I thanked, and what does it have to do with your banning?

I will not reply to this thread again unless requested to do so by an admin or smod as I am not going to repeat myself any further.

"That user is not a mod of the Pro Wrestling forum, that point is completely irrelevant here."

You have avoided my question here.

"You can log out and get the urls of the threads/posts in forum that way if you desire to do so. You were banned for your posts in that thread, as a whole, not for either one. You dragged the thread off topic in a trollish fashion and with your history of infractions in the forum I felt that a ban was warranted in this instance."

I did. If you look at the title of the thread and the 3 or 4 pages of discussion before my shocking posts it is nearly all "off-topic". Did anyone else get banned no?

"Hang on, people can see what posts I thank? Damn, it looks like my evil mod conspiracy to ban you has back-fired at the last hurdle, all of that time and planning I put into my fiendish plan has been undone by my reckless post thanking!"

Good one. You're very professional. Again, you have completely avoided my question here.

"Serious answer: what difference does it make what posts I thanked, and what does it have to do with your banning?"

Serious Answer: They were OFF-TOPIC!!!!! And my ban was for beinf OFF-TOPIC! Christ

"I will not reply to this thread again unless requested to do so by an admin or smod as I am not going to repeat myself any further."

This doesn't suprise me, as you are avoiding answering my questions like the plague. The reason you are repeating yourself is because you refuse to answer my questions. Thank you.

I am not avoiding your questions, I am simply not answering any questions you have regarding whether or not I banned other users as I quite simply feel it is none of your business.

This thread is about your bam, and I have given my reasons for it.

Unless a smod asks me to, I'm not replying here again (see, this is what I meant about repeating myself)

My ban is up in the next day or two anyway. I would appreciate it if you would not ban me in such a childish manner in the future, and leave the favouritism aside when others bring things off topic before I do. It's only fair.

Advertisement