Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox lamping/Rabbit dazzling

Options
  • 11-03-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

I live in a rural area (ironically I moved there having suffered with noisy neighbours in the village I was in) and have been woken the past 2 nights at between 3 and 4 am by "people" roaming the fields nearby with huge lamps (not kidding but they are like the spotlights shining up in the sky at the Oscars!) and barking dogs and raised mens voices. I can only assume they are lamping foxes or dazzling rabbits. As I don't own the land is there anything I can do about this?

I have already had "words" with such people on a Sunday morning when they parked outside my gate armed with their shovels and bloodthirsty dogs and attacked one of my cats (luckily the cat escaped up a tree and survived but had it been cornered...well it wouldn't have been a nice death) The farmer who owns the land immediately near where I live has told them not to trespass but they blatantly ignore it, even walking through the fields right in front of him. He has rung the Gardai but they won't do anything, preferring to turn a blind eye to trespassing or animal cruelty unless livestock (sheep, lambs, etc) are injured or killed.

I'M BLOODY FRUSTRATED THAT I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS!!

Anyone had this trouble before who knows what, if anything I can do? I suspect there's nothing I can do. What a great society we live in where this kind of "pastime" is so accepted.
    :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

Edit
    Apologies for not noting the word shovels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Babychuckles, read the first line of the second paragraph.It says ARMED WITH SHOVEL'S, these people are probably using lurchers and mighn't be local, it's up to you fonril to report these incident's if they won't listen to you'r request.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Azlan

you could also call the local conservation ranger of the national parks/wildlife service and see if they can do anything to help. If they were armed with shovels it sounds like they were also planning to dig out sets which i think is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

sounds like they were badger baiting which is highly illegal,report them asap please, these idiots should be stopped in their tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

scum hate the sight of these maggots who enjoy mindless killing for killings sake mostly. lots of them out our way in the forest of a weekend, lots of dodgey looking characters mostly. had them block the drive once but mostly stay away. we did have a burglary recently alright and strongly suspect it was someone who was regularly poppin in to check what was about. just a hunch though.

hope you get some satisfaction on this it makes you wonder what century we're living in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

if they dont have the farmers permission then its a no no.

i often lamp at night with lurchers for rabbits and use them as food for the table so not all people who lamp at night are blood thirsty animals from the dark ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

If there badger baiting its illegal, however its legal to dig out foxes as they are classed as vermin. As stevo said its a big no no if they dont have permission. Also any legal folk know anything about distance from houses? I know when i went lamping we kept well away from houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

fonril have PM'd you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Dusty87 wrote: »
    If there badger baiting its illegal, however its legal to dig out foxes as they are classed as vermin. As stevo said its a big no no if they dont have permission. Also any legal folk know anything about distance from houses? I know when i went lamping we kept well away from houses.

There is no legal distance.

There is a guideline of 60 feet firing away from any built up areas.

Of course even outside of 60ft someone could be prosecuted for reckless discharge of a firearm if acting the fool. Doesn't sound like firearms are involved in the OPs post so that's a side issue.

OP if they are continuously trespassing then it is up to the land owner (with your help of course) to take action.

On a side note this post probably belongs in the legal discussion forum as really they could advise you best on the laws of trespass.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Gards will do nowt about tresspassing really, i've CCTV around my house and in the last few weeks i've seen people "drop in" and look around the house and in the windows. its a new house in a rural area so its prob just locals being nose as to what the blowins have but its very annoying, invasive and downright cheeky. cameras can be seen and there are signs up telling them there is CCTV but still they nose away. As we had a break in in january theres no way of knowing if they are nosey neighbours or crims casing the place. Rang the local Garda station and told them and got the "eh keep an eye on it if you can get a car reg" and that was about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Lamping is usually done in total silenece with fast quiet dogs, greyhound types. Your story doesn't quite add up with all the noise.
    Are they in your garden? and are your windows open?
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

hi,
    two things.....not all of us who engage in field sports are mad blood hungry throwbacks.i enjoy field sports. having said that i dont use lurchers/terriers or a spade...

secondly think about it if you can hear those people so can all of nature...so chances of them coming upon a fox/badger are reduced somewhat...if i was you i would be wondering what they are really doing...dont ring the local garda station. ring for the area detective unit. they are most likely to know whats happening or not in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Take photos if you can and get registration numbers,They hate publicity.There are lampers up here a couple times a week.They drive in big jeeps with lights that light up the whole country.My dogs set off barking .I open my window and make such a lot of noise hoping the foxes will escape.They drive up and down the roads at night.i have foxes on my land who rear cubs here and im pleased to have them.I dont want some eejits killing them .I get great pleasure from watching my foxes .It is quiet frightenening as they have shot over my land while ive been standing outside and the guards wont do anything.The ones you are describing i would say are after badgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

people in the village "too noisy"..people in the countryside "too noisy".........mmm..wonder where the problem lies there ?:rolleyes:

Would it not be better to be quiet whilst lamping? I always thought that was idea. Not to spook fox like.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

be fair if the people in question dont have permission and are conducting themselves in a loud fashion then the "neighbours" are right not be be impressed.

this shouldnt turn into a -ve/+ve on hunting....

Oh i know. I was just saying. Yea if they've no permission shes dead right.

Advertisement