Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which EPL player from other teams would you want at your club?

• 11-03-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Was just on the Liverpool offical website, and saw there was a poll posted ahead of this Saturdays game. The poll was "Which Man U star would you make a Red?" (this being a Liverpool site, the red of course means a Liverpool player before anyone points out that Man U players are already red:P). Personnally I voted for Tevez because of his skill allied with his work rate. I think you would really suit Rafa's style of play. Other Liverpool fans seemed to agree, as Tevez was topping the poll, followed by Ronaldo, Vidics, Rooney, Giggs & Evra.

This got me thinking. If I could have any one player from the premier league added to the Liverpool squad, who would it be? Ashley Young and Joe Cole were two that popped to mind pretty almost immediately. They are two players who have that create spark, and can create something special. The only problem is that they are predominently left sided players, and the right side is our bigger problem from a creativity side. So who is there from an RWF point of view? The three that came to mind are Ronaldo, Walcott, and Valencia. I don't think Ronaldos' work ethic when tracking back would suit Liverpools style, as well as the fact that I personnally don't like the fella, even though he is the best right winger. Personnally I'd prefer Walcott. I think he has the ability to unlock defenses with his pace and trickery, something that Kuyt doesn't have. He would definitely add a different dimmension to Liverpools attacking options.

So if you could pick one player from your premier league opposition, who would it be, and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd look at Essien and Torres, beyond that i'm happyu with the United squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The top two that come to mind immediately for me are Ashley Young and Wayne Rooney.
    Of course there are loads of players that I'd love to see at my own club but they are head and shoulders above the rest for me as both are young and put in huge effort every game.
    If I wanted a defender it would be Nemanja Vidic.
    If I wanted a midfielder it would be Essien
    If I wanted a strker it would be Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

for liverpool...

young
    vidic
    lennon
    rafael (he's going to be big, utd have RB sorted for 15 years again potentially)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I'd look at Essien and Torres, beyond that i'm happyu with the United squad.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    The top two that come to mind immediately for me are Ashley Young and Wayne Rooney.
    Of course there are loads of players that I'd love to see at my own club but they are head and shoulders above the rest for me as both are young and put in huge effort every game.
    If I wanted a defender it would be Nemanja Vidic.
    If I wanted a midfielder it would be Essien
    If I wanted a strker it would be Torres.

Lets try and just pick one name...makes things a little tougher! Its easy to name multiple names that would improve your team. Just picking one is much harder, and makes you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SlickRic wrote: »
    rafael (he's going to be big, utd have RB sorted for 15 years again potentially)

Can he defend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

for pool

Sagna
    Rooney
    Van Persie

fo sho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As a Gooner for me it would be Essien. Awesome player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

For arsenal, Essien and Vidic. That would be the awesome

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Can he defend?

well that clean sheet record is a good start. (i know vidic was the main reason for that but still)

i don't think i remember any goals coming as a result of his mistakes or bad positioning.

plus he potenitally looks like the epitome of the modern day attacking full back.

by all means correct me if i'm wrong. pool won't get him so it'd be nice to think he might be cr*p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can he defend?

ask Robino

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    for pool
    Van Persie

excellent shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

i would have ashley young, ronaldo or Theo...

Chelski need a wide man!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seeing as I think City are only a centre half and a goal scorer short of being a real outside bet for the top 4 next year I'll say Vidic and Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Seeing as I think City are only a centre half and a goal scorer short of being a real outside bet for the top 4 next year I'll say Vidic and Torres.

dont wanna go too off topic, but it takes at least 22 to mount a challenge Xavi.. i think u need spend a bit more than that..

ps. you can have terry, see how slow he was for juve's 1st last night, thank god ricky's back

Craft25 wrote: »
    dont wanna go too off topic, but it takes at least 22 to mount a challenge Xavi.. i think u need spend a bit more than that..

ps. you can have terry, see how slow he was for juve's 1st last night, thank god ricky's back

Villa have only used something like 18 players this season.

For the record we would have a strong enough 22 -

Given/Hart
    Zabaleta/Richards/Dunne/Onouha/Bridge/Garrido/A N Other
    De Jong/Kompany/Ireland/Elano/Johnson
    Wright-Phillips/Petrov/Robinho
    Bellamy/Caicedo/Bojinov/Sturridge/A N Other

Plus a few more kids.

Throw Vidic and Torres in and that's a serious squad. Actually, I'll have Carvalho over Vidic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Essein

then Vidic or Carvalho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Man Utd: Essien/Gerrard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Essien, Fabregas, Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

playa3 wrote: »
    For arsenal, Essien and Vidic. That would be the awesome

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

carvalho, maybe well buy him in the summer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've thought about it in what is most needed imo and whats realistic so for pool it's valencia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

For United Cahill/Given.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    For United Cahill/Given.

thats an interesting pick

could cahill get into the utd side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

For United:
    Essien/Fabregas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Headshot wrote: »
    thats an interesting pick

could cahill get into the utd side ?

I think he could slot into CM without doing any harm. I've always thought he was one of the most under rated players going and can pop up with huge goals.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I think he could slot into CM without doing any harm. I've always thought he was one of the most under rated players going and can pop up with huge goals.

ya I like him too,fabulous player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I would take Fabregas to United in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

tok9 wrote: »
    I've thought about it in what is most needed imo and whats realistic so for pool it's valencia...

When I named Walcott, I was thinking about what was most needed, but ignored what was realistic. If I were being realistic, Valencia would be my choice too probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

rosboy wrote: »
    When I named Walcott, I was thinking about what was most needed, but ignored what was realistic. If I were being realistic, Valencia would be my choice too probably.
    tbh I'd pick valencia over walcott anyday.
    He's only 23 and is prob the 2nd best right winger in the league behind ronaldo..
    maybe i'm forgetting someone but thats who i'd want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

For United Fabregas immediately came into my head - also Essien and maybe Torres being greedy...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

well the obvious answer would be Ronaldo, since he is the best player in the league.

But thinking outside the box a bit, I feel Torres or Agbonlahor would add some much needed pace into the Chelsea side. I also think Young would fit in well, adding width and speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Can he defend?

yes

First name that came into my head was Essien

If i had my choice id gladly take Essien, Jones and Fabregas

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

For Utd, has to be Essien, until Hargreaves is fit.

daithip wrote: »
    For Utd, has to be Essien, until Hargreaves is fit.

Essien is superior to Hargreaves.Of that, I have no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If is was a United fan(shudders at the thought) I think the player I would want more than any other would be Ashley Young.

If I was a Chelsea fan(more shudders) I would want Ashley Young.

If I was a Liverpool fan(shudder again) I would want Ashley Young.

If I was a Aston Villa fan(really bad shudders due to brother) I would want Wayne Rooney.
    If I was a Arsenal fan(yet more shudders) I would want Nemanja Vidic.

If I was a Everton fan(shudders continue) I would want Ashley Young.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Actually, I'll have Carvalho over Vidic please.

I'd rather Vidic over Carvalho any day.

For in order United:
    1. Essien
    2. Adebayor (if we don't keep the legend that is Carlos Tevez),

One that hasn't been mentioned before.. Mikel Arteta, could do a job in any midfield position. I would say Fabregas, but we are fairly covered with Scholes, Giggs, Anderson as a creative midfielder, Arterta could fill that role if stuck, plus do a job on the right side of midfield, or even left if we really needed and all with great quality. I think he'd def fit in.

Can't rely on Nani or Tosic, not yet anyways, and Arterta more about him than Parky.

Torres is another incredibly obvious choice that I decided to leave out as everyone will probably have him in a top 3..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    well the obvious answer would be Ronaldo, since he is the best player in the league.

not this year he isnt.

i'd go with Van Persie or Eduardo from Arsenal.

Evra from Utd.

Joe Cole or Anelka as back up for Torres from Chelsea.

Ashley Young from Villa.

Modric or Lennon from Spurs.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I'd rather Vidic over Carvalho any day.

Of course you would, you're a United fan.

Carvalho is the best defender in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Young, Lampard, Owen
    > Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd take Cech over VDS
    I'd take Carvalho over Vidic.
    I'd take Sagna over Neville/Rafael/O'Shea
    I'd take Essien over Hargreaves
    I'd take Fabregas over Scholes [for age]
    I'd take Young over Park/Nani
    I'd take Torres/Drogba/Van Persie over Tevez
    I'd take Van Persie over Berbatov even I'd say

In terms of top 11, I think only Ferdinand, Evra, Rooney and Ronaldo deserve their place from United.

• Advertisement
Advertisement