Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting plywood

Options
  • 11-03-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

I have just lined my garage with 6mm plywood & i need to paint it. Going to use gloss/oil paint so I'm planning to thin the undercoat with white spirits, give it one good coat then 2 top coats ov white gloss. Does this sound OK. I don't want the paint flaking off in a few weekd. Is oil paint (i.e. gloss) the best to use for plywood?.

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Several thin coats is better than a couple of thick coats. What your doing will be fine, remember if you have to polyfil any part of ply make sure you hit it with some undercoat.

Just a suggestion but why don't you try the waterbased system. Seeing as its on the inside and not open to the elements, the waterbased primer/undercoat will dry quicker and it will be easier to work with, then finish with an eggshell finish....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks, Mad M

Didn't think of the water based paint. I've loads of that left after painting the bedrooms. There's plenty in one bucket to do the shed. Just need to get some water based primer.

Great Idea & saving me some money as well.:)

Thanks,

T

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well dont use ordinary emulsion, get the proper acrylic based wood primer. If you use oridinary emulsion on ply as a primer you sometimes get pattern staining from the plys natural wood oils.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I lined my worshop wall with 19mm shuttering grade ply and gave it 2 coats of white Weathershield and it looks great. I did see some bleed through from the knots but it doesn't bother me.

Advertisement