Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jackie Nickerson - Her Work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I don't quite get the site or what the photographer intended by it but it wouldn't be a place i'd be encouraged to revisit. Meh, then again - pix.ie and flickr tend to be where I go to look for photographic gratification, and the occasional tweets from peeps around here so i'd guess that I wouldn't be the intended audience.

What was the context that you came across this photographers work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Only 2 photos :eek:

Looks good though, I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

Also see http://www.jackshainman.com/dynamic/artist.asp?ArtistID=30

She is doing a project in Ardee on the local band which my friends are in.

She won a big AIB bursary last year I think and Louth County Council have commissioned her to do this new project.

I don't "get it" if you know what I mean....

Paul

Like them very much, especially the irish ones.

What do you not "get".

I suppose I'm struggling to differentiate between a Photographer and a Photgraphic Artist.

I'm a Photographer - but would never consider myself an artist.

Hmm...pondering to commence now!

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Just looks like a bunch of snaps of people in day to day stuff, honestly Tommy's shot tell me more about somebody and whats happening and I find that more interesting than the shots from Jacie. Bit of a stiff too that the Photographer got a bursary to shoot this stuff, funny what makes the world go around..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I just see some very flat images with blown out highlights. I honestly think that most of the regular visitors to this forum could do much better given the same situations. Is this one supposed to be a pro photog or something? She's seriously taking the p!ss if she is!

Borderfox wrote: »
    Just looks like a bunch of snaps of people in day to day stuff, honestly Tommy's shot tell me more about somebody and whats happening and I find that more interesting than the shots from Jacie. Bit of a stiff too that the Photographer got a bursary to shoot this stuff, funny what makes the world go around..

I think they're very good actually, but I'm obviously in a minority of one. They bring over well both the people and the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

gloobag wrote: »
    I just see some very flat images with blown out highlights. I honestly think that most of the regular visitors to this forum could do much better given the same situations. Is this one supposed to be a pro photog or something? She's seriously taking the p!ss if she is!

Heaven forbid an imperfect photograph could be good.

See, while you could say that any number of photographers around here could take a 'better' photograph, you're basing 'better' on your own education, rather than one based on the conceptual, which is what an artist may be aiming for. An aesthetic is just that, a word.

Following on from this, an image of perfection may be a million miles from what the artist wants, the artist may be more than capable of taking a 'perfect photograph', but why should they?

If I wanted to troll, I'd say a photographer takes photographs, an artist thinks about the image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

aren't we falling into a dangerously stereotypical trap here, of writing off artistic photography that has been acclaimed elsewhere simply because it doesn't have the 'wow' factor of flickr's best HDRs?

Photography isn't just about tonal range, sharpness, rule of thirds, that sort of stuff. Sometimes, people are trying to do something else and because it doesn't fit into that "Me And My Camera" aesthetic, that doesn't show a lack of skill by the photographer. Consider that their goals may be different from yours, and they might be attempting to produce something other than what you would consider to be 'better'. It's a whole other world, out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Imo the Smithsonian competition's People selection says more to me about people than the selection we are talking about but as is the case Photography can draw tangential views from each viewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

elven wrote: »
    aren't we falling into a dangerously stereotypical trap here, of writing off artistic photography that has been acclaimed elsewhere simply because it doesn't have the 'wow' factor of flickr's best HDRs?

mreow :D

Borderfox wrote: »
    Imo the Smithsonian competition's People selection says more to me about people than the selection we are talking about but as is the case Photography can draw tangential views from each viewer

Yes and No, only imo of course.

There is a world of difference in presenting one fantastic photo and a series depicting a theme or whatever.

Sometimes, the whole is better than the individual, to coin a football parlance.;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

[QUOTE=paulkellypix;59373851

I'm a Photographer - but would never consider myself an artist.
    [/QUOTE]

the moment you click the shutter... you become an artist... you are recording a moment in a way you hace created...

the moment you click the shutter... you become an artist... you are recording a moment in a way you hace created...

As I said, I've never thought about it like that.

But, not all moments are necessarily created by me - candids for example are moments in time captured for eternity on a given format.

I do not see this as art.

To me, being artistic is more to do with constructing a scene with specific lighting, specific subjects, following specific criteria.

Still - in Jackie's work I don't see that. I just see people posing for a shot, or groups of people engaged in their work.

Is this art??

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I am surprising myself here by agreeing with the arty set :D I like these images.

- candids for example are moments in time captured for eternity on a given format.

I do not see this as art.

To me, being artistic is more to do with constructing a scene with specific lighting, specific subjects, following specific criteria.

Paul

Interesting.

I suppose one could describe what I take along those lines. I don't have any problem with the art/not art thing, but I would adhere fairly ridgedly to the last sentence there.

Do you honestly think, what you call candid or others street, documentary, etc, is based on chance, being in the right place at the right time, scenario ?

Sure you might get lucky, but never consistency.

Anyway, back to Jackie N. What I love about the portraits are the differences. Each one has it's own personality.

Advertisement