Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Visa Expiry Question

Options
  • 11-03-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭

The rules regarding the usage of a WHV seem to have changed...

AFAIK, it used to be the case that once you were granted your visa you could use it any time before you turned 30. Now it seems to be that once you're granted it you have to use it within 12 months of being granted, and it's then valid for a further 12 months from when you enter Australia.

Can anybody confirm that this is now the case?

Also, say you are granted a WHV and fail to enter Australia within 12 months. Assuming this voids your visa, are you precluded from getting another one, or can you just apply again and get a new one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well in 2004 at least, you applied and when it was granted you had 364days from the time of grant to enter Oz and then you could be there for 365 days from date of entry

Slight change recently, you can now stay for 2 years and work for 1(i think its 1 anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ginger wrote: »
    Well in 2004 at least, you applied and when it was granted you had 364days from the time of grant to enter Oz and then you could be there for 365 days from date of entry

Ok, and what happens if you go beyond your 364 days to enter the country? Is your visa gone forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

THink it is, hence the restriction on it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ginger wrote: »
    THink it is, hence the restriction on it

And no re-applying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

For Oz you can re-apply but for NZ you cant so you should be fine...they wont mind taking your application fee again...(might be more if you let one lapse but I dont think so)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You *I think* need to cancel the visa if you can't use it
    then reapply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Pjordanoz

As far as I know its always been 1 year to get there after applying but you can apply up until you're 30. Can get a 1 year visa, then if you work on a farm or in a rural area for 3 months you can apply for a 2nd year in which you can also work, however can only work for any 1 employer for 6 months.

Advertisement