Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just upgraded....

Options
  • 11-03-2009 3:08pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

To a gtx 260. I always have worries when upgrading, so this is no different. Minimum PSU required is 550, i have a 650 one, so that SOUNDS ok.

However, the minimum PSU required is based on a QX9650 processor, which draws less power consumption than my old model Q6600. I have two hard drives and numerous fans, however, I do a PSU calculation online, and find my minimum required is 350 watts :confused: based on

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

So theres three possible outcomes here:

a) The additional hard drive and the Q6600 wil push my PSU to the max when the gtx 260 is installed
    b) Based on the online calculator, I conclude that minimum PSU required stated online/on the box is far more than the actual usage is, and they're just being safe.
    c) It'll run perfectly fine on a 650watt PSU, with the usage peaking at 550.

I know b) and c) are pretty much the same, but I want to gather your valuable opinions before I install the new card

Also, I should mention, there is a 9800GT in it right now, its a gigabyte p45 mobo, and 2x2gb ddr2 ram.

Any feedback on this matter is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

To a gtx 260. I always have worries when upgrading, so this is no different. Minimum PSU required is 550, i have a 650 one, so that SOUNDS ok.

However, the minimum PSU required is based on a QX9650 processor, which draws less power consumption than my old model Q6600. I have two hard drives and numerous fans, however, I do a PSU calculation online, and find my minimum required is 350 watts :confused: based on

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

So theres three possible outcomes here:

a) The additional hard drive and the Q6600 wil push my PSU to the max when the gtx 260 is installed
    b) Based on the online calculator, I conclude that minimum PSU required stated online/on the box is far more than the actual usage is, and they're just being safe.
    c) It'll run perfectly fine on a 650watt PSU, with the usage peaking at 550.

I know b) and c) are pretty much the same, but I want to gather your valuable opinions before I install the new card

Also, I should mention, there is a 9800GT in it right now, its a gigabyte p45 mobo, and 2x2gb ddr2 ram.

Any feedback on this matter is greatly appreciated :)

You are overthinking this far too much.....

PSU requirements are always total bollix to account for tards who insist on buying crap PSUs.

I ran an AMD64 3500+, 1 gig ram and a X800XT PE on 240W Shuttle psu....

My brothers run a 2.6ghz core2duo, 4 gig ram, x1 harddrive and a 8800GT 512mb on a 350w FSP PSU just fine.....

650W is more than enough for what you have.

A good quality 450W psu would run what you have well tbh.

Slap the card and CPU in and stop being a wuss :D

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTYzMSwxMCwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

look at the power draw here for a test setup using a QX9770 overclocked to 3.66 Ghz....
    Max power draw for the system using a 260 GTX at full load was 356W

As long as your PSU is a good un a 650w should last you for your next build as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

650W should be more than enough, so long as it isn't an Atrix :o:P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

alright lads thanks! i have the caviar green WD hard drives, so that saves a bit of power too :) will post again here once the new rig is up and running!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

PSU failed on me about an hour in. was playing cod4, crysis on max, then when I went to max out GRID... boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What was the psu?

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    650W should be more than enough, so long as it isn't an Atrix :o:P

Atrix :rolleyes:

gonna buy myself a Corsair TX 800watts one today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You'll be grand with a 650w. You'd even be fine with a 550w once its Corsair.

right, managed to pick up a corsair 650 watt supply in longford town after an hour of searching. at work now, but i'll get it set up later on. thanks for your help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

corsair ftw tbh 750w here running my rig and its overkill

im getting two conflicted answers now!

whats your rig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

core i7 920@ 3.6ghz
    2x Gtx280's in sli
    pump for wc
    5 high voltage fans
    4 hard drives
    dvd drives mobo ram etc
    and still loads of power to spare so you will be grand with a 650 or 550 like terrorfirmer said
    26554098.jpg

sure my rig is significantly less powerful than that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

yeah totally agree. corsair ftw. 500w would even do you nicely.

already had bought a 650. works perfectly! now to dispose (not before i take it apart and tinker with it) the old power supply

thanks again lads for your help, i love you all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

already had bought a 650. works perfectly! now to dispose (not before i take it apart and tinker with it) the old power supply

thanks again lads for your help, i love you all ;)

Well you have finally learned the difference between a cheap PSU and a quality one! The cheap ones are never worth it in the long run.
    (We all learn the hard way not to get cheap PSUs and cases :mad:)

I would advise not to start dismantling your old PSU: PSUs can store enough charge to kill you even if you leave them unplugged form the wall for a few days.

Would strongly advise doing some research on how to safely dismantle PSUs etc before messing around with the old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

nice setup grim. it looks pimpin

Advertisement