Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a european league proper..?

• 11-03-2009 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Following on from the thread about how the PL, with the TV rights it gets from saleability into global media markets is far and away above the rest...

..and the fact that uefa are trying to combat this by limiting foreign players, which is essentially like a handicap system and reduces the overall quality that can be aimed for...

..should the powers that be not bite the bullet and create the european super league?? (it would allow for continued pursuit of excellence + all corners of the continent would retain some quality!!!)

How would it work?
    2 tiers -Utd, chels, liv, inter, barca, real, bayern, arsenal, lyon etc, etc in top
    villa, roma, villareal, shalke, panathanaikos etc, etc in Div 2
    (followed by some system to allow promotion/relegation to/from local leagues)

or
    Eastern conference v's Western conference - followed by post season playoffs

or
    Southern Conference v's Northern - followed by same

could we get an irish team into it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No. Absolute load of bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No. Absolute load of bollox.

+1. wasnt this just asked a week go or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

i did have a quick search for a thread..

care to explain why it's a load of bollix??

1) do you think the rest of G18 are gonna just sit there and watch while english clubs hoover up all the talent & cash

2) that 5+6 bull**** is against everything the EU stands for & will seriously weaken the quality of the game.. Basically every english 1st division player gets promoted to the premier, + every quality english player reared at clubs like villa gets hoovered up to your Utd's & Chelsea's

3) dont give me u'r: me granda's been supportin accrington stanley for 100 years bull****, tradition = old... football only started proper wit clubs 120 or so years ago.. u think it'll stay the same forever??

U cant stop globalisation!!!

Also prepare to see that world thing united won turned into a more viable product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

G18 no longer exists. It was disbanded within the last couple of years.

wikipedia: However a new European Club Association which will feature 103 teams from all 53 UEFA nations, with at least one team from each country, will be set up in its place.[6]

It didnt die, it evolved - like everything does!

• Advertisement

because theres nothing wrong with the league systems structure. what you want to do is take the league systems that are dominated by the big clubs and create a superleague that is dominated by big clubs. why so you can watch barca v united v milan v bayern. no thanks. and tradition isnt bull**** its the reason clubs have support. there are more teams in england than the 20 that make up the premier league not to mention the other domestic leagues.
    hence its bollox.
    can someone merge the threads or something its all been said before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

A European League - would Benitez and Liverpool spontaneously combust or explode or something, what with Benitez being a great manager in Europe, but no good in the League and all?

thats precisely what i wanna see, cos i see no sense in the top 4 having at least 20 walk in the prk victories every season..

them small clubs can still exist in domestic leagues, with a structure that allows eventual promotion...

its the tradition argument i hate. basically imo: whats good from tradition x whats needed to solve problem today = the future

at least if united play good sides every week then theres a chance they wont always have their flag permanently placed on top spot...

You say things are fine as they are!!
    so lets see if they are, if the top 4 in england get a stranglehold ove the semi spots in CL for 4/5 years running then ther'll have to be a stewards enquiry & some change.

if its just cyclical and the italians, germans, french return to have a turn at the top again then i'll eat my hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As part of a restructuring of Eurpoean football (while keeping domestic level intact) they could look to a Euro league as a replacement for the CL.

It would reduce the number teams in the competition so the money gained wouldn't create massive gulfs between the top 3/4 sides and the rest. Say, for instance, 8 teams.

the 8 sides coming from the winner of the leagues from the highest 8 ranking european leagues, based on the uefa coefficients. The sides from other eurpean leagues could possibly make a second league, not sure.

The 8 sides would play 14 games in total in a season, which is 1 game more than the winner of the CL currently does.

just an idea. There are obvious problems, such as with only 8 teams in the league what happens to the other 24 sides that currently make the CL proper. if you accept the dropping of 2nd placed teams and beyond regardless of the league, the number of sides dropped from the CL proper wouldn't be as big, but there would still be a number of sides who did win their league that would not make it.

As an example, the 8 sides could come from England, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, Holland, Germany, Russia. Then countries like Belgium, Norway ect are left out. Maybe it could be something like a second division, with the winning country of div 2 replacing the wining country from the top tier.

Beyond that, you could then get to a point where you would have more teams competing in the Uefa Cup than in the CL, and have the possibility of the Uefa Cup being considering the bigger tournament, with it being almost guaranteed that there would be more 'big' clubs taking part in.

As I say, I know my suggestion is far from perfect, but I think a lot of people would suggest that teams who are not champions should not be in the CL.

• Advertisement

Craft25 wrote: »
    thats precisely what i wanna see, cos i see no sense in the top 4 having at least 20 walk in the prk victories every season..

them small clubs can still exist in domestic leagues, with a structure that allows eventual promotion...

its the tradition argument i hate. basically imo: whats good from tradition x whats needed to solve problem today = the future

at least if united play good sides every week then theres a chance they wont always have their flag permanently placed on top spot...

You say things are fine as they are!!
    so lets see if they are, if the top 4 in england get a stranglehold ove the semi spots in CL for 4/5 years running then ther'll have to be a stewards enquiry & some change.

if its just cyclical and the italians, germans, french return to have a turn at the top again then i'll eat my hat

thats the problem with some top4 fans, your just interested in your club and couldnt give a crap about the rest of the football world. without those 'small clubs' you wouldnt have a league to play in in the first place.
    stewards enquiry??? wtf

My Idea of what'd work:

Tier1: Europremier - 20 Teams 1 winner(playoffs?) + 3 relegated

Tier2: Eurochampionship Teams - 20 Teams, 2 automatic promotion + playoffs
    - 5 relegated

Tier3: Euroqualifiers
    Domestic Tiered leagues - Top 1/2/3/4? entering EuroQualifiers (a la CL!!) - 4 teams from Euroqualifiers enter Eurochampionship

EuroCup
    - All teams enter, even minnows get the chance of a jaunt across europe somewhere
    - Europremier & Eurochampionship & Euroqualifier clubs enter at staggered stages later on
    - Minnows could look forward to the dream chance of a competitive game v's Real & Barca(not just Liverpool & United)
    -Winner of Eurocup enters Eurochampionship

Domestic Cups
    -Top clubs from each nation would continue to play in their home cup competition

So.. Utd, Chels, etc.. Play 38games per year + 2 cup competitions

It is possible to create a structure that allows for promotion relegation, all the way if needs be..

The biggest problem is that you couldnt just sweep away the old structure & replace it with new... it would have to evolve over time

bigstar wrote: »
    thats the problem with some top4 fans, your just interested in your club and couldnt give a crap about the rest of the football world. without those 'small clubs' you wouldnt have a league to play in in the first place.
    stewards enquiry??? wtf

The way things are my team is guaranteed to make eneough money to dominate almost everybody, just by putting up a half hearted effort against united!

I ament overly 'patriotic' or 'nationalistic' about my club, i wanna see the best play against the best - simple as..

Now even in europe the real humdinger matches dont start until semi's..

at least in a eurosystem if chelsea took the piss as they did this year they might actually face the threat of relegation... as it is we just have to beat either villa or arsenal!!

EDIT: and TBH if i'm serious, the real reason i want it is so that one of my local teams, the team of my childhood Shamrock Rovers, might one day be able to build up to a decent size, with big fanbase and compete in a decent league.. after all of the mismanagement of irish footballing powers took it down to nothing (*PS i'm not derriding other theams in EL, i'd like to see every team in EL have that chance!!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

the general consensus from the previous thread on this topic is that, It will favour super-rich elite clubs at the expense of domestic leagues. However, I do think it is a lot more feasible than people think and will eventually happen so perhaps looking into how to structure it atm isnt such a terrible thing now.

Okay if set up today id see it being something like a 20 team league comprising of at first the teams below (im sure i left someone out)

Manchester United, Real Madrid, Arsenal, Liverpool, Munich, A.C Milan, Barcalona, Juventus, Inter Milan, Porto, Celtic, Lyon, Ajax/PSV, Russian champions, 1 more spanish team (Athletico?), 1 more german team (Hamburg(?), 1 Scandanavian/Irish/Welsh qualifier (Rosenburg?), 1 Easertn European qualifier (Shaktar?), one from Greece/Turkey (galatasaray?) one other qualifier from the rest of europe (Standard Liege?).

it would have to be treated as a european league where all the national leagues have a chance of filtering up into it through promotion and as is now with the CL certain countries get more spots dependant on certain factors, it would not be a league of the top 20 richest teams in europe.

Each country would have to be treated individually and akin to the way the inter-pro's used to and the Celtic league now works to give irish teams for example qualificatiion to the Heiniken cup in Rugby.

i.e Connaught normally finish 4th out of 4 Irish sides in the celtic league and therefore arent in the heiniken cup the following season, if they had finished 3rd ahead of Ulster they would be in it instead.

In Football and a european Super-league this would mean that whichever team from each country that finishes with the lowest number of points would be replaced by the team that won that countrys national league that year. For instance if Arsenal came 4th out of the English 4 while Villa won the Premiership minus the 4 in the ESL, Villa would then replace.

Obviously then there is the question of how teams from smaller countries can get into it / have a chance to benefit financially like the big boys. I would have to guess they would still have some sort of Seeding and qualification rds at the end of a normal season i.e the new Irish champs vs the new Norweigan champs in a qualification round. Anyside that doesent qualify defends their national title the following year. The only problem would be maybe countries like Scotland where say Celtic are in the ESL but Rangers win the league to qualify. Celtic shouldent automatically loose out i guess as they didnt have the opportunity to defend their national title so i guess the two would have a playoff with massive financial implication.

(:D this post is 95% old posts copied and pasted together)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Completely OT but on the subject of promotion/relegation from different regions. How does the conference North/south work? Couple of teams prototed from each to the BS prem each season? What about relegation? what if the bottom 4 are all southern teams?
    Did a bit of a google but couldnt find simple answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

They should have one team from each country, with eligibility rules for players. There should be a big "European Football Championship" every four years between 16 qualifying teams.

Advertisement