Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Mullens Pet & Garden Centre

Options
  • 11-03-2009 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

From Ocean Fm today

Fire engulfs Sligo Pet and Garden store
    A fire has broken out at the back of Mullens petrol station on the Bundoran road just outside Sligo town.

Six fire brigades and two garda units have been called to the scene of the fire which broke out just after 11 o clock.

Its believed the fire is currently concentrated at the Pet and Garden store at the rear of the station.

There are no reports of any injuries.

I could see it from work and it took nearly two hours befor it seemed to die down. No injuries reported but anyone hear if they removed the animals in time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I could see it from work too. Luckily nobody injured. Hopefully they were able to move the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Oh no, I hope the animals were OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

To be honest i would have been more worried about the people,and if the fire spread to the forecourt there could have been a massive explosion causing injuries or death,luckily that didn't happen though

It was already stated that no one was injured though, that's why I mentioned the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

My workmate's husband works there- all staff are safe but the only got a few pets out - a cage of birds, the shop pet (a guinea pig iirc) and some others. The rest of the birds, the fish, the rabbits and the reptiles are all gone though :( And the public are idiots- while 6 units of the fire brigade were trying to contain the fire people were still trying to buy petrol and were argueing with staff when asked not to enter. Fools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

fozzle wrote: »
    while 6 units of the fire brigade were trying to contain the fire people were still trying to buy petrol and were argueing with staff when asked not to enter. Fools.

Somehow that doesn't really suprise me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

the bunnies died?

*lower lip quivvers*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

In unrelated news: Sligo's biggest BBQ kicks off tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Good news!!!! I think in the chaos there he couldn't see all the pets they'd gotten out but he texted this morning to let us know they got almost everything out - even the fish. I think there was one cage of cockateels they couldn't get out but that was all. Most of the staff are now providing foster homes 'till everything is fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

good news!

• Advertisement

That's great news, really pleased:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I hate cockatiels anyway.

yay!

In unrelated news: Sligo's biggest BBQ kicks off tomorrow!

now where is that BBQ?! cockatiels on the menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Em... Not cockatiels... Just really, really small BBQ'd chickens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Em... Not cockatiels... Just really, really small BBQ'd chickens!

I was in Monte Marte tonight & they'd a special on of Roast Quail with a Red Wine Reduction. Apart from the odd feather, it was very tasty.

I was in Monte Marte tonight & they'd a special on of Roast Quail with a Red Wine Reduction. Apart from the odd feather, it was very tasty.

sure it was no cockatiel? I love mon matre. Wish they put the heater up though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Didn't that place burn down in the 80's too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

Didn't that place burn down in the 80's too?

It did indeed, an ex-staff member torched the place afair.

Also, there was no chance of the place exploding, the tanks are buried away up past the top of the car park and there are plenty of safeguards in place to prevent anything like that happening.

Advertisement