Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student going for inteview in college to study social care, any tips??

Options
  • 11-03-2009 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I have an interview for Ballyfermot college to study social care on the 18th of this month.
    This will be my first time back to school since 2005 so I need to make them know Im ready to go back and this is what I want to do,
    Has anyboby got any tips at ALL for me?? It will be really appreciated!

Liz:)

P.s. please help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Hi lizziebear,

Good to see you taking these steps.

What you should do now is research the course and what's involved in it and find out as much as you can about the college as well. Get a few ideas on where you see yourself on completion of the course. When it comes to the interview, make it clear to the panel that you are determined to see this through and you are willing to put in all the effort it takes. I see from your other post that you minded an autistic child for several years, let them know of this and how you got on. It is very relevant.

Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lizziebear

Thanks so much smashey!! great help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

What Smashey said! My partner finished her honours degree in this last year and if she were here she would tell you do do some volunteer work as well, not only does it look good but it gives you some idea of what you are letting yourself in for, although if you have worked with autism you probably have a fairly good idea. I would also strongly suggest you talk to someone who does this kind of work as well. The reasons being they will be able to give you a lot of info on what the work entails at a practical level which will impress the interview panel. My OH works in a residential care unit with kids with challenging behaviour and I can only admire her for it as it is one hell of a tough job and this is coming from someone who was a teacher for a good many years. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Hey I'm thinking of going to study soical care in BIT, Ive experence with working with youth reach, and other organisatons due to being and outdooradventure instructor, should i fill that out on the CAO form?

Also how did the interveiw go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hey I'm thinking of going to study soical care in BIT, Ive experence with working with youth reach, and other organisatons due to being and outdooradventure instructor, should i fill that out on the CAO form?

Are you applying this year? If so, you need to apply as quick as possible. The deadline for mature student entry was 1st Feb but colleges sometimes take applications until May and even at that you might not be considered.

Yes, definitely put that experience down on the CAO. Anything you think will make your application stronger. Write out a personal statement and include anything you feel relevant to the course you're applying for. Why you like working with young people etc.

The space on the CAO website gives you is 1,100 words or something but what I did was just write see postal documents and posted a personal statement, CV and all my certs to the CAO. Means you can write a bit more. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement