Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balistic software

Options
  • 11-03-2009 4:24pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know its been discussed a few times but whats the best Balistic software around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

To be honest Rew I'd say there are too few people here shooting at long range to justify buying it.

The only poster who I can think has the skills and has maybe purchased decent ballistic software would be foxshooter243, he might PM you with details

The nightforce stuff seems to be pimped a lot but don't really know of its quality or even what the market leader is

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

exbal seems to be used by alot of the lads in england on a pda or laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

exbal seems to be used by alot of the lads in england on a pda or laptop

Exbal is the programme used by Nightforce for their ballistic programme, I am using Sierra infinity which I purchased simply because I was using Sierra,s 175 grain Matchkings in 308 and 69 grain matchkings in 223, there are legions of programmes out there, they will all put you in the ball park but 99 percent of the calculations require tweaking in the field, the method I was using is to work up the load , chrongraph it and run it through the sierra programme, then fine tune it by shooting it over varying distances, carefully noting any variance from the drop chart, then if it had to be corrected simply changing either the velocity value or the b.c value to make the programme fall in line with the results achieved in real world shooting..heres a link to the sierra infinity programme.
    http://www.eabco.com/Infinity.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I use "Sierra infinity 6" software which works just fine for me. If its good enough for Pete Moore its good enough for an amature like me.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Hezz700 wrote: »
    I use "Sierra infinity 6" software which works just fine for me. If its good enough for Pete Moore its good enough for an amature like me.;)

True enough!..the only thing I have discovered is that bullet manufacturers tend to be slightly generous when applying b.c figures to their respective bullets.however sierra are noted for having quite accurate b.c figures which seems to translate into more accurate drops and windage charts...results seem to bear this out as their charts seem to be very accurate in the first instance in comparison to using bullets from other manufacturers which have a tendency to be slightly higher than they actually are, this then means you will then have to drop them to bring your charts in line with reality..thats my experience anyway.

for anyone interested in getting into long range shooting and wanting to
    get excellent tuition in how to set up a factory rifle, and work up good ballistic charts then i would reccomend buying this dvd set from John Burns;
    http://smartflix.com/store/video/926/How-To-Shoot-Beyond-Belief

its over 10 hours long but it covers all youll need to know, its available on line from cabelas.well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Agreed.

Any of these programs are only a guide tool. you have to tweak the figures to suit your particular rifle and the components/ammo you use, not to mention factoring in barometric pressure etc.

Thanks for the link, defo looks like its worth watching.

Advertisement