Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protecting windows and frames during plastering

• 11-03-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm currently in the middle of a new build and have just had my new alu cald windows installed. My problem now is trying to protect them during plastering. The frames are a black alluminium finish and are surely going to scratch once the plasterer starts to run his float along them. I know there are produts out there for protecting the glass but will this also protect the frame without damaging it? Any suggestions of what I could use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Could you pm the quotes you obtained for your windows.

Why did you decide to go with supplier?

Was it lowest price or did someone recommend them to you.

Thanks.

Lightning McQueen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

x63684 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently in the middle of a new build and have just had my new alu cald windows installed. My problem now is trying to protect them during plastering. The frames are a black alluminium finish and are surely going to scratch once the plasterer starts to run his float along them. I know there are produts out there for protecting the glass but will this also protect the frame without damaging it? Any suggestions of what I could use?

is there no tape on the frames like u get with pvc windows?

you could use gaffer tape but take it off the next day: this applies to any tape.

as a matter of interest, who fitted the windows and how were the frames sealed to the opes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 x63684

Windows are supplied by Nordan but unfortunatley come with no protection. It was something I asked about before ordering but was told the manufacturers will not cover them.

The only protection i can find is http://www.glassguardireland.com/index.shtml
    Its designed for the glass but can be used on the frame also. Altough it shouldn't be left on the frame for an extended period.

I believe this type of protection is more popular in the north and easier to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If your windows are installed and you can't wrap them, masking tape and clear 500gauge plastic sheet to cover the entire window and frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 scooby the dog

dont know what part of the country you are in ,,if u could get a few rolls of black silage tape that ,s used for patching bales of silage
    ive used it on my finished red deal window boards and window frames .. when plastering is finished stanley knife around corners great job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Way too sticky, scooby, will be a mare to get off.

Sounds like a good idea scooby. I live in Meath. Do you think it would stick well to the aluminium frames? whats it like to take off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Great find: should be posted as a resource.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

never , never use masking tape outside on windows. If it gets wet it turns to a paste/superglue form which is nearly impossible to remove.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Windows are supplied by Nordan but unfortunatley come with no protection. It was something I asked about before ordering but was told the manufacturers will not cover them.

What other co's did you get quotes from and why did you choose Nordan? Was it lowest price or quality of window supplied?

Lightning

Advertisement