Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands that you've given up on and why?

• 11-03-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I've pretty much given up on these bands, because for the last few years their later albums have just sucked and been very unmemorable and very unimpressive. I won'nt be wasting anymore money on any of these bands for a long time. Here are six bands I've given up on:

U2
    They have not put out anything as awesome as 'Achtung Baby' in recent years, and the latest album does not sound great at all. To me they are just in it for the money, and are not willing to put a lot of passion in their music, like their 80s and early 90s output.

Rush
    The last excellent album was 'Counterparts' and thats going way back to 1993. I had a good listen to the last album and I thought it was very plain, boring and the guitar sound and riffs are also very forgettable.

Metallica
    I heard a lot of this album, and again I was'nt blown away. One thing that strikes me about it is, it just sounds heavy for the sake of being heavy.

The Cult
    Another band that are way over the hill these days. I heard quite a few songs from the last album, and it just sounded very demoish and boring. The last two decent albums were 'Sonic Temple and Ceremony' which were back in 1989 and 1991 respectivly. The new album just lacks the bombast and awesome lead guitaring of Billy Duffy, and well constructed songs that you don'nt get tired of.

Type O Negative

I downloaded the last album about a year ago, and I was really let down big time. 'Dead Again' just sounds like the band are just jamming and thrashing around. There are no awesome songs that sound even remotely gothic metal. The last album that I was very very impressed with was 'World Coming Down' from ten years ago.

Katatonia
    I gave up on this once great band because of that absolutely awful nu metal guitar sound on the last album. I wish they would make a new album that has a classic swedish lead guitar sound like their old stuff.

What are your choices, and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

GnR

BEcause Guns n Roses are not a real band anymore.. they're just a group of session musicians acting as a vessel for Axyls Vanity and Obsession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Metallica - what started as dislike for them as individuals with the whole "napster" thing - a band that initially encouraged bootlegging to get their name around;- which was solidified by every album after black sucking the big one - and black being a bit questionable itself.

Rancid - Their last album was over produced, unoriginal, radio friendly horse sh!te. they can go suck a donkey - build ya up with so much good material only to knock you back down with whirlwind of crap.

Undecided about Machine Head - such a stonker of a first album - and then after that the ODD good song. But they're still animal live - havete give that to 'em :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

to add to my previous post

The Haunted; holy jesus did they rock and were heavy for a few albums - but theyve gone that whole - we need singy bits in between the heavy bits crap that every rubbish metal band coming out of the states seems to do these days. Heavy then crap singing then heavy than more whingy crap singing. Get over yer whiny ass and get back to being MEN dammit - like Pantera! they RULE. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Manic Street Preachers - cause overweight 40year olds clinging on to the past isn't that much fun.

jim o doom wrote: »
    Metallica - what started as dislike for them as individuals with the whole "napster" thing - a band that initially encouraged bootlegging to get their name around;- which was solidified by every album after black sucking the big one - and black being a bit questionable itself.

Very very good point.. last 2 albums were muck also

• Advertisement

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Manic Street Preachers - cause overweight 40year olds clinging on to the past isn't that much fun.

Aw but they're still waiting for their friend Richey to come home :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

didn't their lead singer lose a lot of weight through diet about a year ago?

anywho, i'm going to say RHCP. their earlier albums, up to and including blood sugar sex magic were legendary. ever since then, everything they have done has been "safe"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

anywho, i'm going to say RHCP. their earlier albums, up to and including blood sugar sex magic were legendary. ever since then, everything they have done has been "safe"
    Note the inverse relationship between "Consumption of hard drugs" and "Relative goodness of music".

I've given up on NIN. I'll still get the albums and that but they grab me less and less each time. Sure he can wrench some amazing and unique sounds out of his array of jiggery pokery but he's lost his edge. Again, that could be due to kicking the gak. That and replacing it with pies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

System of A Down.

Rare visits to Ireland, ignored us on the Mezmerise/Hypnotise tour.

Subsequently Daron changed the lyrics on "Lonely Day" from "such a lonley day, should be banned, its a day that I cant stand" to "such a lonley day, with this band...these mutherfcukers I cant stand". This highlights that there is problems within the band. Scars on Broadway and Serj on his own have succeeded. The Hiatus is now three years ongoing with no signs on ending. Iv given up on SOAD EVER reforming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I gave up on the Human League when it became Phil Oakey and the two girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

U2
    They have not put out anything as awesome as 'Achtung Baby' in recent years, and the latest album does not sound great at all. To me they are just in it for the money, and are not willing to put a lot of passion in their music, like their 80s and early 90s output.

Can't disagree there, although i did feel they were passionate about All That You Can't Leave Behind, at least Bono was for about half of the album due to his fathers declining health. But for everything else, I do agree with, and i've been a fan since about 84. Still consider myself one, but I really wish they'd stop pussy footing around and create some proper music.
    Metallica
    I heard a lot of this album, and again I was'nt blown away. One thing that strikes me about it is, it just sounds heavy for the sake of being heavy.

I'd say more an over ambitious project that fell flat on it's face, quite frankly. They knew people were getting bored with the Bob Rock sound, and they knew it wasn't gonna work to get heavier with Rock because that experiment was known as St Anger. So they pretty much went "Who's still heavy? Slayer! Didn't Rubin produce them for a while? Yeah!", and off to the races they went.
    The Cult
    Another band that are way over the hill these days. I heard quite a few songs from the last album, and it just sounded very demoish and boring. The last two decent albums were 'Sonic Temple and Ceremony' which were back in 1989 and 1991 respectivly. The new album just lacks the bombast and awesome lead guitaring of Billy Duffy, and well constructed songs that you don'nt get tired of.

Born Into This was an abortion, which was a shame because Beyond Good And Evil, which came out in 2001 was a damn good effort for a band who had spent seven years on hiatus.
    starflake wrote: »
    GnR

BEcause Guns n Roses are not a real band anymore..

Stopped reading there, primarily because most of the members in that lineup are there longer than both Appetite and Illusion lineups.
    Oh you lie Alan! Only about a month or so ago you had some of their lyrics quoted in your sig! ;) I do agree though, they should have thrown in the towel after the abortion that was Everything Must Go, and the only decent song they produced since RJ Edward's departure in my own honest opinion was "There By The Grace Of God"... but if you tolerate this, then your eardrums will be next. :P

My own ones:
    Simple Minds

Realistically died after Real Life in 1991, although i did enjoy Good News From The Next World, sad as they were pretty much Scotland's U2 after a drastic change from that god awful New Wave sh*te they churned out prior to 1983. But U2 knew music was going to change in the early 90s, and unfortunately, Simple Minds were unable to follow suit, and have been in the doldrums since. But christ, they've tried.

Killing Joke
    Should have ended on the high in 1985 after Night Time, instead of dragging it on.

Iggy Pop
    Much has it pains me to say this, but should have retired after Brick By Brick in 1990. Anything else after that has been pretentious, pompus dross. And if you had the misfortune to have heard "Naughty Little Doggie", blow your brains out now.

David Lee Roth
    What worked for him in 1986 sure as hell didn't work for him in 1994 when he released Your Filthy Little Mouth, unfortunately 15 years on, he's still trying. Even worse, he's back with Van Halen touring the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't know if I ever could just give up on a band. Certainly the likes of Metallica, Guns N' Roses and Smashing Pumpkins come to mind immediately as not being as good as they once were but I could never stop listening to Ride The Lightning, Appetite for Distruction or Siamese Dream. Those albums are masterpieces to me.

I was under the assumption that he meant giving up on the hope that all the bands mentioned had any hope of producing good albums anymore.

But you know what they say about assumption too... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Not Anvil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I was under the assumption that he meant giving up on the hope that all the bands mentioned had any hope of producing good albums anymore.

But you know what they say about assumption too... ;)
    Good point!

I still think that, if taken on their own merits, the latest releases from Guns N' Roses and Metallica are reasonably okay albums. Smashing Pumpkins I'm not sure but then I didn't like some of their early stuff either :).

malice_ wrote: »
    Good point!

I still think that, if taken on their own merits, the latest releases from Guns N' Roses and Metallica are reasonably okay albums. Smashing Pumpkins I'm not sure but then I didn't like some of their early stuff either :).

For Chinese Democracy, yeah i'll agree. But for Death Magnetic, i just can't take to it. It's not a case of immediately dismissing it and saying "it's not real metallica", it's more a case of the more i listen to it, the more i feel it's too little too late and a last ditch attempt to thrash it up, so to speak.

Or as teh teenagers say "I ain't feelin' it!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

Prong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I've given up on Huey Lewis and the News...or Hugh Anthony Cregg III

Huey needs time to be creative and I'm just not that patient

I heard he was in a Broadway musical about 3 years ago (not suprised since the last two News albums bombed...especially Plan B)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

My own ones:
    Simple Minds

Realistically died after Real Life in 1991, although i did enjoy Good News From The Next World, sad as they were pretty much Scotland's U2 after a drastic change from that god awful New Wave sh*te they churned out prior to 1983. But U2 knew music was going to change in the early 90s, and unfortunately, Simple Minds were unable to follow suit, and have been in the doldrums since. But christ, they've tried.

Killing Joke
    Should have ended on the high in 1985 after Night Time, instead of dragging it on.

Iggy Pop
    Much has it pains me to say this, but should have retired after Brick By Brick in 1990. Anything else after that has been pretentious, pompus dross. And if you had the misfortune to have heard "Naughty Little Doggie", blow your brains out now.

David Lee Roth
    What worked for him in 1986 sure as hell didn't work for him in 1994 when he released Your Filthy Little Mouth, unfortunately 15 years on, he's still trying. Even worse, he's back with Van Halen touring the states.

I agree with you there, 'Night Time' by Killing Joke is really excellent. I just got the remastered version a little while ago and its brilliant. I just thought of a few more bands/artists:

AC/DC
    I work collegue made me a copy of 'Black Ice', and after listening to it about four or five times, all I can say is that they sound really tired and boring now.

Bryan Adams
    He has'nt made anything as spectacular as 'Reckless, Into The Fire or Waking up The Neighbours in recent years.

Ozzy
    His last really great/decent album was 'No More Tears', and that was back in 1991. His 90s stuff after that album did have some truly fantastic songs from each album, but no awesome albums as such, to match up to 'Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman'. The much later albums from this decade have been let down by boring and crap nu metal guitars.

Tiamat
    I downloaded last years album and its just awful. Its a real shame that their only incredible album was 'Wildhoney', which was very very very groundbreaking when it came out, but it still sounds fresh even today.

David Bowie

I have'nt heard anything as awesome as 'Scary Monsters or indeed Lets Dance', which were probably the last really spectacular albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

smashing pumpkins - lost all focus and creativity...pity...gish, siamese dream and mellon collie are top class.very obvious to me that corgan is nothing without the full lineup.....a cliche but true....

King of leon - some early songs..but the "lets do a u2" rears its ugly head again....singer getting more annoying with time and music/lyrics have nothing to say.....bland tripe....

RadioHead - forgot how to write tunes

Interpol - last album was terrible...no tunes...no development

have to agree with shawn raven on Killing Joke....and

the cult have lost the plot....even though beyond good and evil was rockin' i just could'nt take ian astburys lack of effort at the last gig (pot belly, tracksuit top not mention bespectacled geeks everywhere shuffling from side to side thinking they are actually dancing lol...still ....pretty fly

AC/DC....i dont get ac/dc without bon scott. its a parody of a parody (apart from back in black album....which was a bon scott cover job anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I think it would be harder for me to choose a band that I have stayed with whatever. All bands have their day in the sun and I mostly find that they find it hard to regain their groove once they lose it which is my cue to move on,

starflake wrote: »
    GnR

BEcause Guns n Roses are not a real band anymore.. they're just a group of session musicians acting as a vessel for Axyls Vanity and Obsession.

Chinese Democracy was just awful, horribe and so forgettable. There was not one single song that stood out for me, and even if there was, it would still be awful. And as they say, one great song, does a good album not make.

I can'nt see what all the fuss is about, regarding the new album. I'd take 'Ride The Lightening' over it any day of the week, or century for that matter.
    damonjewel wrote: »
    I think it would be harder for me to choose a band that I have stayed with whatever. All bands have their day in the sun and I mostly find that they find it hard to regain their groove once they lose it which is my cue to move on,

Thats very true. I just stop wasting money on bands when they can'nt put out anything thats really class anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My God, those couple of sentances sum up EXACTLY what I've been thinking about Metallica for a number of years now. They were such an awesome band, I love everything up to and including Justice, Black album was passable and after that, apart from one or two songs, everything else they did was toss.
    malice_ wrote: »
    I don't know if I ever could just give up on a band. Certainly the likes of Metallica, Guns N' Roses and Smashing Pumpkins come to mind immediately as not being as good as they once were but I could never stop listening to Ride The Lightning, Appetite for Distruction or Siamese Dream. Those albums are masterpieces to me.
    I'm the same, I listen to all of my older Metallica albums, same with AfD by GnR.

So apart from Metallica, I've all but given up on GnR and Radiohead. I admit to having liked the last couple of U2 albums :o :pac:

AC/DC
    I work collegue made me a copy of 'Black Ice', and after listening to it about four or five times, all I can say is that they sound really tired and boring now.

To be fair, most of their albums do sound very much alike, that said, you either got into the sound, or you didn't.
    Bryan Adams
    He has'nt made anything as spectacular as 'Reckless, Into The Fire or Waking up The Neighbours in recent years.

I actually enjoyed Room Service. Alright so it's somewhat of a different direction than the 80s albums, but you hardly expected him to continue singing songs about "being young and restless and needing to unwind" now, did you? :)

David Bowie

I have'nt heard anything as awesome as 'Scary Monsters or indeed Lets Dance', which were probably the last really spectacular albums.

True enough, although Outside stood out for me as being way ahead of it's time. I also have a very soft spot for Tin Machine II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Chris Cornell
    Goes without saying really. Have been a big fan for years.
    I would not try to encourage this pile of poo's attempt to get anywhere near an album chart by buying it now, I will get it eventually probably for 50p in a bargain bin.

And in the meantime pray he goes back on the beer.

Even Trent Reznor is embarrassed for him
    http://twitter.com/trent_reznor

To be fair, most of their albums do sound very much alike, that said, you either got into the sound, or you didn't.

I actually enjoyed Room Service. Alright so it's somewhat of a different direction than the 80s albums, but you hardly expected him to continue singing songs about "being young and restless and needing to unwind" now, did you? :)

True enough, although Outside stood out for me as being way ahead of it's time. I also have a very soft spot for Tin Machine II.

I love the old 70s Bon Scott albums and Back in Black, but thats it as far I'll go with AC/DC, apart from 'Live' which is great. 'Black Ice' just sounded terrible to ears, so its really a case of being subjective.

I just gave up on Bryan Adams stuff after 'Waking up The Neighbours', I just find it too mellow and boring for my ears. His older stuff is much more hard rock, which is what I love, than his new stuff which really sucks.

I just gave up on Bryan Adams stuff after 'Waking up The Neighbours', I just find it too mellow and boring for my ears. His older stuff is much more hard rock, which is what I love, than his new stuff which really sucks.

I can understand that from your perspective alright.
    I still say on the Bowie perspective, that you should give Tin Machine II a shot if you haven't done so already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Ozzy was a good call. Black rain is poor and he is pushin' on so wouldn't expect any creative genius work any time soon. Speaking of pushin' on I fear for Motorhead. Motorizer is Motorhead by numbers as was their gig in Dublin recently. I enjoyed it oke but thought they were less than interested.

Would still buy their new material but wouldn't be expecting a whole lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

May I just say that thank god Def Leppard came out with songs from the Sparkle Lounge because if they had not had, I would have called it a day there and then...Yeah was a good album in passing, but not a serious studio album, and their last couple of releases (minus some tracks) were terrible

Glad to see them heading back in the right direction!

Advertisement