Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands that you've given up on and why?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Agree 100% with r3nu4l.

Gave up on Metallica a long time ago after the Black album and even thats not up there with their best.
    Justice for me was their last decent album.But their best imo was Master of puppets.

For me it was the whole Napster thing but more so now that after reading their biography it explains that Lars Ulrich was one of the largest distributors in the cassette trading circles in the US.I wonder was he thinking of the piracy issue when he was trading tapes of up and coming bands from the UK.
    Surely its the same thing as downloading a couple of tracks of the net.

And back then they encouraged fans to trade tapes of their early stuff to get the name out there.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

May I just say that thank god Def Leppard came out with songs from the Sparkle Lounge because if they had not had, I would have called it a day there and then...Yeah was a good album in passing, but not a serious studio album, and their last couple of releases (minus some tracks) were terrible

Glad to see them heading back in the right direction!

Def Leppard were definitely hard to watch going through the 90s, with a very disappointing Adrenalize, filling half the 90s with compilations, and Euphoria was god bloody awful (despite the fact that it's tour was pretty decent! The songs were a lot better live than in the studio).

I do have to say, that I like Slang, with the exception of Breathe A Sigh. I think the band had the right idea with it, going in a different direction musically. At the time it came out in 1996, with post Grunge and Britplop running rampant, another poor carbon copy of Hysteria sure as hell wouldn't have cut it. It's just too bad that Polygram weren't arsed promoting the album.

I didn't mind half of X either, I'm still reminded of them performing on the Late Late show, and Kenny got the song title wrong and when Elliott corrected him, i thought he was going to go through him for a shortcut.

But i almost didn't bother with Songs From The Sparkle Lounge, and what a mistake that would have been!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Lars Ulrich was one of the largest distributors in the cassette trading circles in the US.I wonder was he thinking of the piracy issue when he was trading tapes of up and coming bands from the UK.
    Surely its the same thing as downloading a couple of tracks of the net.

And back then they encouraged fans to trade tapes of their early stuff to get the name out there.

Says it all really.

Yeah, it made him look like a money hungry hypocrite. It reeked of "Well we'll encourage bootlegging of our material, and now that you've gotten us on to the bigger stages, we'd prefer if you didn't use our strategy against us now!"

Which is exactly the reason why I have never bought anything with the Metallica name on it ever since.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Which is exactly the reason why I have never bought anything with the Metallica name on it ever since.

Napsters where I got all mine ;)

Figured Id already paid for it on vinyl so Im not paying twice.

Napsters where I got all mine ;)

Figured Id already paid for it on vinyl so Im not paying twice.

Same, only on tape. I also remember at the time that several Napster users were banned for downloading Metallica, so i found someone's account at work and used theirs to download the lot! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Live. They had 4 brilliant albums one after another. Mental Jewellery. Throwing Copper. Secret Samadhi. The Distance to Here. Then it completely nose-dived with V, Birds of Prey and Songs from Black Mountain. Jesus they were awesome once, just pure raw energy, and now on SFBM they're singing about when the US troops are going to come home :/ FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I can understand that from your perspective alright.
    I still say on the Bowie perspective, that you should give Tin Machine II a shot if you haven't done so already.

I'm sure I heard those Tin Machine albums were terrible. As far as I know 'Heathen and Reality' are meant to be much better. Another reason I might like/love these albums is because the producer is none other than Tony Visconti, who's produced some of the very best albums by Thin Lizzy and some other great rock\hard rock bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Helloween: The daddies of Power Metal. I loved them a lot a while ago, listening to the seminal Keeper Of The Seven Keys and Walls Of Jericho albums... Then I made the error of purchasing more of their albums... Dreadful, dreadful stuff (with the exception of 'Better Than Raw'). And to be banging out more and more merch related to the Seven Keys is just awful. They have completely lost the plot. I can't even bear to listen to the orginal Keeper Of The Seven Keys Parts I and II anymore...

I'm sure I heard those Tin Machine albums were terrible. As far as I know 'Heathen and Reality' are meant to be much better. Another reason I might like/love these albums is because the producer is none other than Tony Visconti, who's produced some of the very best albums by Thin Lizzy and some other great rock\hard rock bands.

Tin Machine is bloody terrible, but Tin Machine II is something to reserve your own judgment on. Some really strong tracks on it, specifically Goodbye Mr Ed and Baby Universal.

Visconti and Bowie are an awesome combination though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

DazMarz wrote: »
    Helloween: The daddies of Power Metal. I loved them a lot a while ago, listening to the seminal Keeper Of The Seven Keys and Walls Of Jericho albums... Then I made the error of purchasing more of their albums... Dreadful, dreadful stuff (with the exception of 'Better Than Raw'). And to be banging out more and more merch related to the Seven Keys is just awful. They have completely lost the plot. I can't even bear to listen to the orginal Keeper Of The Seven Keys Parts I and II anymore...

Spot on, Helloween started going downhill once the 90's hit.

Keeper I and II are still class though.

• Advertisement

Keeper I and II are still class though.

+1

That pink bubbles album was an awful load of crap!!!

Another band I went off was Sabbat.Dreamweaver and History of a time to come were both class but then they realeased that godawful Mourning has broken!!!

+1

That pink bubbles album was an awful load of crap!!!

Pink Bubbles Go Ape...

... along with everyone else who ever attempted to listen to that abortion of an album from beginning to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Nea wrote: »
    Chris Cornell
    Goes without saying really. Have been a big fan for years.
    I would not try to encourage this pile of poo's attempt to get anywhere near an album chart by buying it now, I will get it eventually probably for 50p in a bargain bin.

And in the meantime pray he goes back on the beer.

Even Trent Reznor is embarrassed for him
    http://twitter.com/trent_reznor
    Totally agree, every new project he moves onto just gets worse and worse.
    How someone can go from the quality of Audioslave to Chris' new r'n'b crap is beyond me.

Totally agree, every new project he moves onto just gets worse and worse.
    How someone can go from the quality of Soundgarden to abysmal Audioslave to Chris' new r'n'b crap is beyond me.

Fixed your post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I wouldnt say Audioslave were abysmal, the first album was great, the second two were iffy but still had a few decent tunes.
    They cut the mustard live on the 2 occasions I saw them.
    Still, miles better than this latest offering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

*Cold War Kids. fantastic debut album, the best I`ve heard in a long time and then they follow it up with a self indulgent turd.

I fear that they have already peaked with their debut and everything else they will release will be of little significance.

*Just about squeezes into rock

I dunno what it was, but i seemed to be the only one who missed the boat with Audioslave. Maybe i'm just getting old and set in my ways, but i could never stand Tom "I'm ruined without all my effects" Morello's playing, didn't like think it meshed with Cornell's voice, and was never that huge Rage fan anyway.

I was, however a big Soundgarden fan and to be honest, i've actually hope for a reunion. If Faith No More can pull it off, and Cornell's so desperate for cash from his R&B failure, well, the roadmap for the reunion is there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I wouldnt say Audioslave were abysmal, the first album was great, the second two were iffy but still had a few decent tunes.
    They cut the mustard live on the 2 occasions I saw them.
    Still, miles better than this latest offering!

+ 1

I really dont get all the hating of Audioslave! Sure tom morello uses a lot of effects but he is a savage guitarist! (seeing him live was unbelievable!:eek:)
    Sure they'd never be as good as Soundgarden, but they were a reasonably good supergroup! And it all ended coz Chris wanted more money :mad: :(

And re a Soundgarden reunion Shawnraven, I wouldnt be awfully optimistic tbh! Matt Cameron is in Pearl Jam now like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

Slipknot....they've changed:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Radiohead are starting to get a bit dull, though I look forward to every album, but In Rainbows just seemed safe and underwhelming. I'd say the same for NIN, also for TMV, first two albums were amazing, but while amputechture was interesting it didn't scale the same heights and Bedlam just sounds like a rehash. Ultra Beatdown by Dragonforce is ok but I find it lacking when compared to Sonic Firestorm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Music4life wrote: »
    Slipknot....they've changed:mad:

+1 just didnt get into their lastest one , lead single (cant even remember its name lol) was decent but the album was totally forgettable. Shame as i wouldnt think myself a huge fan of a lot of modern metal genres and bands but slipknot where always fun but not so this time for me.

The new Decemberists album has totally let me down after the goodness of the crane wife and picaresque :-(

weezer are one i have very little time for anymore. i think it was maladroit that turned me off them, but since then make believe and red where good albums but just havent had the urge to go back to them for reasons unknow to me :s

+1 on 1st posts comments on U2

as for ac/dc saw them in the point years ago and what a show it was, havent really listened to them since . And i'm not really one for going back to or getting in to a band because it seems to be cool to like them ;-)

Pearl Jam lost me with Bi-Neural, maybe the next one with brendan o brian producing might entice me back to them.

redhot chili peppers also lost me after one hot minute i was a huge fan of them but them came californication and rhcp lite :mad:

Edit: Great topic for a thread OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Chris Cornell
    Goes without saying really. Have been a big fan for years.
    I would not try to encourage this pile of poo's attempt to get anywhere near an album chart by buying it now, I will get it eventually probably for 50p in a bargain bin.

And in the meantime pray he goes back on the beer.

Even Trent Reznor is embarrassed for him
    http://twitter.com/trent_reznor

Same, I'm a huge fan of OLD Chris, Euphoria Morning is a brilliant album but anything after that has been very 'meh' and becoming more radio friendly.

And re a Soundgarden reunion Shawnraven, I wouldnt be awfully optimistic tbh! Matt Cameron is in Pearl Jam now like...

That doesn't particularly rule it out, A reunion doesn't particularly require all original members to be entirely successful. Several bands have done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

That doesn't particularly rule it out, A reunion doesn't particularly require all original members to be entirely successful.

just ask guns n roses!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I didn't mind half of X either, I'm still reminded of them performing on the Late Late show, and Kenny got the song title wrong and when Elliott corrected him, i thought he was going to go through him for a shortcut.

But i almost didn't bother with Songs From The Sparkle Lounge, and what a mistake that would have been!

Wow! Must track down that video. I remember they played the Ambassador in Feb 2003, for two nights, it was during my mocks...and I couldnt go...but X had some good tracks...listened to it for the first time on a flight to New York (my first time ever in the US)

That doesn't particularly rule it out, A reunion doesn't particularly require all original members to be entirely successful. Several bands have done it.

Yeah maybe so, I just don't see it happening tho, even tho I really wish it would!!! Like Pearl Jam are putting out a new album this year and touring next year so I don't see Matt having the time for a Soundgarden reunion...

Thats only my opinion of course, I'm prob gonna be proven wrong in future years! :o

Also about Chris Cornell, Euphoria Morning is one of my favourite albums! All his solo stuff went downhill after that unfortunately :(

Yeah maybe so, I just don't see it happening tho, even tho I really wish it would!!! Like Pearl Jam are putting out a new album this year and touring next year so I don't see Matt having the time for a Soundgarden reunion...

Thats only my opinion of course, I'm prob gonna be proven wrong in future years! :o

Pearl Jam have been redlining for several years, by that I mean Album-tour-album-tour-album-tour. Eventually a time out is gonna be in order. Which could leave Matt Cameron easily available

Provided Cornell feels he really needs him? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Slipknot. why oh whyyyyyyyyyyy!!

The new album was such a disappointment. I actually felt sad, with a hint of anger! I know they were trying to move their sound on, but it just doesn't work. Psychsocial was horrific imo.
    I love all the other albums! Ya know when you listen to your favorite album by your favorite band and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? That's how I felt when I listened to them! The latest album makes me sad :( All hope is,in fact, gone!

Provided Cornell feels he really needs him? ;)

True, in his current mindset I could see him sacking anyone who gets in the way of making money!

• Advertisement

True, in his current mindset I could see him sacking anyone who gets in the way of making money!

Well not so much sacking him as a case of not re-hiring him. Let's say for arguments sake he's on a tight bastid spree. It'll save him a lot more money to have a session drummer for an album and tour, and have more royalties on the albums.

Advertisement