Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands that you've given up on and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

ive completely given up on tina turner and whitney houston...not to mention boyzone who just dont cut it for me anymore!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ive completely given up on tina turner and whitney houston...not to mention boyzone who just dont cut it for me anymore!! :eek:
    What have those three acts got to do with Rock & Metal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

malice_ wrote: »
    What have those three acts got to do with Rock & Metal?

+ 1 ... GTFO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Completely the wrong forum, that said, I laughed :D

Wow! Must track down that video. I remember they played the Ambassador in Feb 2003, for two nights, it was during my mocks...and I couldnt go...but X had some good tracks...listened to it for the first time on a flight to New York (my first time ever in the US)

I had a look on youtube and couldn't find it. It was a performance of Long Long Way To Go. That said, i did find a really awesome electric version of it. Acoustic doesn't for work for this band, sorry. Two Steps Behind's electric version also knocked spots off the acoustic version. I also felt it was the weakest track on the Last Action Hero soundtrack too.

The only drawback for X was for me, was bad timing on it's release. I went through a fairly sh*tty breakup the year it came out, and, well it kinda went down as well as serving a copy of Joy Division's Closer with a pack of prozac. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Pearl Jam have been redlining for several years, by that I mean Album-tour-album-tour-album-tour. Eventually a time out is gonna be in order. Which could leave Matt Cameron easily available

Provided Cornell feels he really needs him? ;)

Not really true. Pearl jam are pretty much consistently on break. They barely tour compared to other acts thei size, and the easily could and should, but mainly the gap between records is getting longer and longer. It was 4 years between Riot Act and Self Titled...and bot what a let down those two managed to be!

O'Briens back at the helm though and that signifies great great things.

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The only drawback for X was for me, was bad timing on it's release.

In a way, the album can either serve as a reminder of the incident, or it can serve as the catalyst that helped you move on and therefore be looked upon as an album to listen to when you feel down, and want to keep positive!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Dream Theater, havent liked any of their albums since six degree's of inner turbulance. Lucky to find one or two good songs on any of their albums since then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Opeth

Three of the best Metal albums out there one after the other ("My arms your hearse", "Still Life" & "Blackwater Park"), Then the questionable Deliverance (Damnation was quite good for what it was). After this the terrible decision to incorporate keys & unusual tunings which resulted in "Ghost Reveries". Shortly after they lose one of the most imaginative (& subtle) metal drummers out there & replace him with generic death metal drummer No. 3, then Lindgren is replaced by generic widdley guitarist No. 4 & they release another poor effort which is "Watershed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Oasis - the band provided the soundtrack to my youth and I still regularly listen to first 3 albums and the B-sides album but anything else they have released has been really disappointing. I hate it when Noel describes every new CD as the best thing since Defintely Maybe when we all know nothing could ever be as good.

• Advertisement

CSC wrote: »
    Oasis - the band provided the soundtrack to my youth and I still regularly listen to first 3 albums and the B-sides album but anything else they have released has been really disappointing. I hate it when Noel describes every new CD as the best thing since Defintely Maybe when we all know nothing could ever be as good.

I must have seriously missed the boat with Oasis. I always thought they were utter rubbish. Liam Gallagher is the most over rated bell end i've ever seen in my life when Noel clearly has the superior voice. But there were way better bands on the UK Indie scene at the time. Mega City Four and Ride to name two.

Then britplop was born killed the 90s. :rolleyes:

In a way, the album can either serve as a reminder of the incident, or it can serve as the catalyst that helped you move on and therefore be looked upon as an album to listen to when you feel down, and want to keep positive!:D

Too many breakup songs on that album for my liking. That said Kiss The Day is one of the best songs they had done for ten years.

Too many breakup songs on that album for my liking. That said Kiss The Day is one of the best songs they had done for ten years.

To think most US fans have never heard that track, it was a UK and Japanese only exclusive! And the X cover is different in the States, personally I think it looks finer tbh

I've also given up on Aerosmith - I prefer Tesla

To think most US fans have never heard that track, it was a UK and Japanese only exclusive! And the X cover is different in the States, personally I think it looks finer tbh

Yeah, although to be fair, the UK release was leaked all over the place prior to it's release so a lot of the US fans would have actually heard it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

fortuneg wrote: »
    Opeth

Three of the best Metal albums out there one after the other ("My arms your hearse", "Still Life" & "Blackwater Park"), Then the questionable Deliverance (Damnation was quite good for what it was). After this the terrible decision to incorporate keys & unusual tunings which resulted in "Ghost Reveries". Shortly after they lose one of the most imaginative (& subtle) metal drummers out there & replace him with generic death metal drummer No. 3, then Lindgren is replaced by generic widdley guitarist No. 4 & they release another poor effort which is "Watershed".

I gave up on Opeth, because they haven'nt released anything as great as 'Blackwater Park'. The newer albums seem to have much more generic guitar sound, yet people still seem to lap it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

fortuneg wrote: »
    Opeth

:eek:How Very Dare You:eek:
    I have only been into Opeth the past 3/4 years and tbh its a long time since a band blew me away in the sense they did when I first heard them. I am very much still in my "I love Opeth so much " phase and would say that will continue for a long time ( Providing they dont go down Chris Cornells route):P

I personally love the keys but can understand how someone into them since the early days wouldnt.I think Steven Wilson is entitled to a lot of credit for Blackwater Park.

Also another band to annoy me is Weezer

Each album seems to get worse and worse. The first couple of albums were class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 FrancieB

The beatles. Their drummer is useless plus they havent released any new stuff in ages...

FrancieB wrote: »
    The beatles. Their drummer is useless plus they havent released any new stuff in ages...

John Lennon was once asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world, he said of course not, he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!

Erm... *whispers* The guy's banned. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Metallica - Just simply can't stand there sound anymore, Ever since justice and MAYBE some of the black album it's been terrible, they as people are sell outs and the music is boring, also Lars Ulrich is a really uninspiring drummer with no punch to him.

Slipknot- Lost there way, early days new exciting, crazy timing changes, good music now its all mainstream basic and Corey talks about his feelings way too much, no cursing anymore or anything.

U2- Only wanna be Irish when it suites them.

• Advertisement

Irishcrx wrote: »
    U2- Only wanna be Irish when it suites them.

Would that make the a 4 piece suite? Wish i had an apartment big enough to warrant one! ;)
    Anyway, what does their nationality have to do with their music? :confused:

Wow, excuses for U2 bashing have really hit bottom of barrel scraping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Would that make the a 4 piece suite? Wish i had an apartment big enough to warrant one! ;)
    Anyway, what does their nationality have to do with their music? :confused:

Wow, excuses for U2 bashing have really hit bottom of barrel scraping!

while i agree with you that people will find any reason to insult u2 nowadays, alot of it is warranted! bono has forgotten he is a rock star and is more of a preacher now, and the new single is absolutley shockingly bad! (having said that, imo the album is alright) i htink they need to get back to their routes, from that small band from dublin called the scene to this monster called u2, they somewhat lost their way after all that you cant leave behind i think! they can get back.....but do they really want to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Smashing Pumpkins

one of the best band of the 90s has turned into a parody of themselves.
    B. Corgan desperately attempted to do a big U-turn after he realised that dismantling the group was a big mistake, that's why he failed miserably.
    I was at their gig at RDS last year, he said from the stage 'we've been out from 20 years and we still get out **** done'... yeah, whatever :rolleyes:

Pearl Jam

I've loved their first 3 or 4 albums, now they just sound like a sophisticated folk music group. What a pity!

Stone temple pilots

First 2 albums were great, but drugs are bad for you

Coldplay

It took 4 albums for them to sound like U2 after 12 albums...

U2
    although the last album is a grower and doesn't sound bad at all, they are still not the same band I felt in love with in the 1987.
    however, fair play to them for producing music that it is still a source of inspiration for many 'overrated' groups like Kings of leon etc...
    Few other bands in the history have delivered still nice music after 12 albums as they do (maybe Radiohead will be next, tho) many have disappeared/failed in the attempt...

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Completely the wrong forum, that said, I laughed :D

I know guys...it was a joke :rolleyes:

That said i have given up on bands like AC/DC who while been good at what they do, dont try to change their music or bring it forward in any way.
    Probably a lot of bands included in this, but AC/DC are the obvious ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Going to add something to my earlier comments about Metallica.Maybe I felt a bit guilty saying they were sh!t after the Black Album :)

Anyway I "transferred" ;) their whole discography to my ipod over the weekend and decided to try and listen to their later stuff from the Black Album onwards--giving them one last chance so to speak.

Well after my little experiment my views havent changed one bit.

I just cant seem to get into their later stuff at all but yet as soon as I put on RTL,Puppets or Justice I cant turn any of them off.
    Says it all really.

Sorry Metallica but Ive given you a chance--you`ll never be as good as your older stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Going to add something to my earlier comments about Metallica.Maybe I felt a bit guilty saying they were sh!t after the Black Album :)

Anyway I "transferred" ;) their whole discography to my ipod over the weekend and decided to try and listen to their later stuff from the Black Album onwards--giving them one last chance so to speak.
    I think we've all done that, I know I have! I have found one or two little gems over the past couple of years but on the albums prior to the Black album there were always at least 4-5 great songs, and one or two good songs and perhaps one that I thought was poor.

With everything after the Black album I've found the reverse is true. I've tried to like their 'newer' stuff (mid 90's onwards) but just can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Bullet for My Valentine are probably the only band I started liking and then gave up on. I thought their first album was pretty solid and showed that they had a lot of potetial... but then their second album was nearly the exact same apart from a few decent songs. Ah well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

papa roach,the first album is good the 2nd was ok anything after that is ****e in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Blackpitts wrote: »
    Smashing Pumpkins

one of the best band of the 90s has turned into a parody of themselves.
    B. Corgan desperately attempted to do a big U-turn after he realised that dismantling the group was a big mistake, that's why he failed miserably.
    I was at their gig at RDS last year, he said from the stage 'we've been out from 20 years and we still get out **** done'... yeah, whatever :rolleyes:

Pearl Jam

I've loved their first 3 or 4 albums, now they just sound like a sophisticated folk music group. What a pity!

I've given up on those bands as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Live. They had 4 brilliant albums one after another. Mental Jewellery. Throwing Copper. Secret Samadhi. The Distance to Here. Then it completely nose-dived with V, Birds of Prey and Songs from Black Mountain. Jesus they were awesome once, just pure raw energy, and now on SFBM they're singing about when the US troops are going to come home :/ FFS.

It's so sad really.
    V was a spectacular nosedive in quality.They are like a different band now...:(

Advertisement