Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UPC] Has anyone with NTL broadband and phone tried replacing their crappy phone?

Options
  • 11-03-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

not sure where to put this as it's not 100% broadband related, but I don't think it would fit in the VoIP forum.

basically, the cordless phone NTL supply when they hook you up sucks a$$ and i already have a good 4 unit dect set-up that I was using previously with BT that I want to use.

the problem is, it's not wokring.

i assumed it would work just by plugging into the RJ11 port on the back of the modem (where the NTL phone is plugged in) but it doesn't, it's just dead.

i even tried it with and without one of those UK phone plug adapters as i originally got the phone(s) from argos and they are obviously UK spec but that didn't work either.

is there any way to get a regular phone working with NTL's phone service or am i stuck with their crappy annoying ringtone, speaker too loud and mic too quiet POC phone? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

There is nothing special about the UPC phone - it's a bog standard DECT phone (usually Siemens)

As you say, plugging into the RJ-11 port should work - only thing I can think of the UK crossover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Are you plugging it into the right phone socket? The modem has two phone ports, of which only one is operational... i think it is the second port in from the right as you are looking at the rear of the modem... not fully sure on that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Are you plugging it into the right phone socket? The modem has two phone ports, of which only one is operational... i think it is the second port in from the right as you are looking at the rear of the modem... not fully sure on that though!
    i assume that plugging it in the same port the ntl phone is plugged into would do the trick, but i tried both.

i tried it both with and without the UK crossover and neither one got a dial tone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I remember hearing some brands don't work with the VOIP modem. I have no idea why, You would think any DECT would do. I use one very similar to this. My old 2 in 1 skype phone worked perfectly can't remember the brand of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Try using the original cable you received with your dect phone and plug that into the modem. Depending on the type of phone, the RJ11 lead you are using is not compatible with your modem. This is a common problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Try using the original cable you received with your dect phone and plug that into the modem. Depending on the type of phone, the RJ11 lead you are using is not compatible with your modem. This is a common problem.
    tried that (with the UK converter (got it at argos, so it's a UK phone, from BT in the UK) and also with a standard rj11 cable that I made myself about a year ago and has been working fine with my regular (irish) BT broadband and phone line.

if it's just a matter of wiring it up differently, i have a crimper and rj11 (and rj45) boots , i just need to know how.

Advertisement