Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smithsonian 6th Photo Contest - 50 finalists

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

There s few very nice ones indeed! I love the one of the tiger under water, very different that any tiger shots i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

There's some amazing stuff there, but I do think the category 'Altered Images' is a bit of a weird one. I know this is an boring argument now, but all the photos in the other categories will have been altered as well. Is the first photo of the leaves just there because it was converted to sepia? If so why do they allow black and whites in the other categories? If they had called it 'digital art' for people who wanted to go crazy with photoshop it might have been less confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

A few of the people shots and natural world stand out alright.

Clear winners in Altered images / Travel imo...

Some of them I think are just crap though... Almost like the best of a bad lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I know what you mean as zero pp is rare, they're creating the problem of where to draw the line in how much post processing means you should be in altered images.

Also an extra category makes it easier for people to game it by targetting the easiest category, +1 on challengmasters latter point, I've seen images on this forum that I think are better than some of those finalists.

As for the great ones the Eiffel tower in the puddle, the Indian beauty in the cab, and the guy on the black rocky outcrop with the snow-capped peak behind stood out for me. There's always another wow in photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

why is it that the 'winning' people pics are always of poor/non-white/old people?
    Are there no good pics of young white rich people??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The cops have loads of them.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

why is it that the 'winning' people pics are always of poor/non-white/old people?
    I think it's partly because they're from a very different world to that which those judging the photos live in. It's a bit like the question "why are there no good stories on the news?", there's an element of familiar = ordinary = boring.
    For example I'd pick that over any of the poor/old/black formula shots among those finalists.

I assume you mean rich as in relative to those in slums, nomadic tribes etc. I'm not sure looking at photos of the elite enjoying their greater share of freedom on the back of concentrated wealth is something that would produce a feelgood factor for me, some would call that begrudgery but I'd call it having a sense of fairness. That said a kid is just a kid and not to be held responsible for the obscene extent of class inequity that persists.

Advertisement