Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Direct - will they pay out?

Options
  • 11-03-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

I currently have my car insured with Quinn, (for third party fire and theft) and to make a long story short, i was in a crash on Sunday, which was my fault, and the damage to the third party's car is well in excess of €5,000. The company's assessor guy told me this morning that the car is as good as a write off, because of the particual type of structural damage done to it - even though to look at it, you'd think it just needs a new door.

Now i'm worried because i've heard many bad stories about Quinn over the years, them coming up with all sorts of ''small print excuses'' not to pay out. If the car is a right off, will they still pay up? I've been driving nearly ten years and this is my first accident, so i've no experience of dealing with insurance company claims.

Would be great to hear from anyone who knows anything about the company and their reliability. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CandidSoul

I'm not an insurance expert but as far as I'm aware your insurance company should compensate the injured party if you were at fault (which they determine). The 3rd party cover means that damage to your vehicle if any won't be covered.

I can't remember the source but I do know that I've heard that one should never claim responsibility to the injured party or at or anytime after the accident as it may invalidate your insurance claim.

Once you're insured it's up to the insurance companies to identify who was at fault and compensate accordingly. So either way, as long as your insurance was valid, you should have nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Your 3rd party insurance covers the other person for everything. Whatever they decide to pay the other person, which will depend on the insurance assessors valuation of the car pre-crash, will be up to Quinn and the 3rd party to quibble over. If the car is deemed repairable, then they will cover all repair costs. It'll be nothing for you to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭Trampas

CandidSoul wrote: »
    I can't remember the source but I do know that I've heard that one should never claim responsibility to the injured party or at or anytime after the accident as it may invalidate your insurance claim.

Your insurer decides if you are at fault or not. No matter what you admit at the scene

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Quinn are bad news , really bad news , make sure there are NO bald tyres on your car ( yes they will look at your car too .....if they can find it :) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

grenache wrote: »
    Now i'm worried because i've heard many bad stories about Quinn over the years, them coming up with all sorts of ''small print excuses'' not to pay out.
    I've heard them too, which is why I don't even ask them for a quote. The question is, if you heard the stories, why did you stay with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

Quinn are fine, and just as good as any other insurer.

Third party means they will cover all costs from the other side ie. the person you hit, whether you claimed liability at the scene or not. The crash was your fault, so they will pay out - thats what you pay your premium for.

your policy obviously doesnt cover your own costs ie the cost of the damage to your car, but Quinn will pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just to reiterate. Legally your insurance company is obliged by law to pay out to third partys in a claim where you are liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Thanks for the replies guys, i know what 3rd party cover is about, i just was not sure how Quinn in particular, would deal with it. I stayed with Quinn for the low price, its as simple as that. And no, there are no bald tyres on my car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭julien69

Hello my name is Sean Quinn of the Quinn group.To anwser some questions raised here we will avoid paying out at all costs so i can get richer.:pI love money,i wipe my ass with 50euro notes for fun;)

Advertisement