Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many receivers can I send a text to at once on an iPhone?

Options
  • 11-03-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I can add as many names as I want to receive a text but will they all get there? My last phone, a Sony, would act like it sent as many as you told it but only the first 5 texts would get there. O2 told me it's down to the handset and that they don't know the answer about the iPhone. Anyone got any clues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

frobisher wrote: »
    I can add as many names as I want to receive a text but will they all get there? My last phone, a Sony, would act like it sent as many as you told it but only the first 5 texts would get there. O2 told me it's down to the handset and that they don't know the answer about the iPhone. Anyone got any clues?

I haven't a clue the most i sent it to was four and that worked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I've sent 40 in one go before and as far as I know they were all received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

You can send a group text from your iPhone (or any O2 mobile) for free by setting up a group on the O2 website. Logon to O2.ie and import your contacts to the online address book. Then go to groups, create the group and add members from your address book. You can then either send webtexts to the group or, if you want to send to the group from your phone at any time, just send a text in the format groupname message to 0866060600. The best thing is that it deducts the texts from your webtext balance whether you send it from the web or your phone.
    This method worked great for me when our kids were born, I just made a group called baby and sent 'It's a <insert child gender here>!' to the group from my phone. :)

Edit: To keep on topic, I forgot to mention that you can save up to 10000 contacts in your O2 address book and there doesn't seem to be any limit to the amount you can have in a group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Sounds like Vodafone is talking through their hoo haa because sending a text to multiple people is just a normal text, repeated a set amount of times (which is hardly too hard for a phone to handle). I'm sure they'd all send no problem, for a test why not add yourself multiple times (about 15) to the sending list and see if you receive 15 texts back (it might take a few minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    You can send a group text from your iPhone (or any O2 mobile) for free by setting up a group on the O2 website. Logon to O2.ie and import your contacts to the online address book. Then go to groups, create the group and add members from your address book. You can then either send webtexts to the group or, if you want to send to the group from your phone at any time, just send a text in the format groupname message to 0866060600. The best thing is that it deducts the texts from your webtext balance whether you send it from the web or your phone.
    This method worked great for me when our kids were born, I just made a group called baby and sent 'It's a <insert child gender here>!' to the group from my phone. :)

Edit: To keep on topic, I forgot to mention that you can save up to 10000 contacts in your O2 address book and there doesn't seem to be any limit to the amount you can have in a group.

BRILLIANT post! I'll defo do that. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Mr Bloat wrote: »

The SIM backup section of the O2 site seems to indicate that only 250 contacts can be saved. It also says not from an iPhone :-( I gues I could use my back up phone to do it. But 250 is nowhere near enough.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Sounds like Vodafone is talking through their hoo haa because sending a text to multiple people is just a normal text, repeated a set amount of times (which is hardly too hard for a phone to handle). I'm sure they'd all send no problem, for a test why not add yourself multiple times (about 15) to the sending list and see if you receive 15 texts back (it might take a few minutes).

O2, not Vodafone ;) My old phone wouldn't send more than 5 so it is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

The SIM backup section of the O2 site seems to indicate that only 250 contacts can be saved. It also says not from an iPhone :-( I gues I could use my back up phone to do it. But 250 is nowhere near enough.

Don't do it with a sim backup. Just sign into O2.ie and on the menu bar on the left, click on My Messaging, Webtext and then Phone Sync. From here you can either go to Phone Setup and follow the instructions to sync your phone or else you can go to Import Contacts and import your contacts from a .csv file. Note that O2 charge €2.50 for the first sync and €0.70 for each sync after that. According to the site, you can store up to 10,000 contacts.
    Once you have your Address Book set up, create your group and away you go. You can send 250 free webtexts but each one after that costs €0.10.

Advertisement