Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Clearance

Options
  • 11-03-2009 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Basically i was supposed to be starting a placement (1st year physio) on monday but have just got an e-mail saying that I never filled out a garda clearance form and so cant go.

Does any-one know when or where I was meant to get this form, as no-one has mentioned it before even though we have had loads of meetings about the placements. Ive emailed the school but waiting for a reply.

What happens now, as this placement is 100% of one of my modules.
    Thanks for any info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

You just have to go down to the local Garda Station and ask. Its basically just a form stating that you have no criminal record. They should be able to give it to you there on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

You just have to go down to the local Garda Station and ask. Its basically just a form stating that you have no criminal record. They should be able to give it to you there on the spot.
    I wouldn't count on it. I've heard stories of it taking weeks to get garda clearance.
    Certainly took my Mam weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

33% God wrote: »
    I wouldn't count on it. I've heard stories of it taking weeks to get garda clearance.
    Certainly took my Mam weeks.

yeah, we've been told it takes at least 4 weeks, so no chance of having it by monday. Apparently there was a letter about it with our admissions packs but im 100% sure i didnt get one, still have the pack and have chesked its not there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Takes a few weeks to get clearance. You need to send the paperwork to the Garda Vetting Unit in Thurles. It's not as simple as walking into a station I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Ucd have to send away the vetting form, not you. You should have gotten a form to fill in and give back to ucd some time ago, no idea when!

All info on www.garda.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

i learned the hard way that this is untrue. you have to get your college or the place your working to contact garda vetting to get it done. there is no such thing as a garda clearance that you can get yourself and it has nothing to do with the local garda stations. unfortunately many incompetent guards dont know about this. i went in for it weeks ago, the idiot guard got me to give him some info and said it would be out in a few weeks. 2 weeks later i rang them, they said give it another 2 weeks.
    then i rang again and was told to call garda vetting.
    the woman in garda vetting was so mad when i told her what happened because she said its ridiculous that they lead you on to believe you can get garda clearance with them when ya just cant!!
    months later and still got nothing from those stupid guards who had originally claimed it would be in the post in 2 weeks!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

It usually takes the guts of a month to get Garda clearence. You've to fill in a form, then get the school to send it off. Best thing to do is call up to the school office and get it sorted ASAP. Worst case scenario you may have to do your placement at a later date but as it's only a week you'll have it done well in time to progress into second year.

Obviously someone's dropped a ball majorly along the line that you didn't get a form, but at least it's before a one week block and not a 6 week one cause that would be awkward to sort whereas this will be easy enough, if a bit of a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Goonerette

They should be able to give it to you there on the spot.
    Mine took about 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Clearance takes from 4-12 weeks depending on the urgency of clearance and the type. I mean if you get a job in the Department of Justice, Equality, Law and Reform they run the whole nine yards (they check you, your family & extended family). Even this takes 6 weeks for the JELR so it's not a sign-a-form job and you're done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    no-one has mentioned [the need for garda clearence] before even though we have had loads of meetings about the placements.
    So you're telling us there is an entire college class unable to do their placement?
    If this is your elective or something then I feel for you and would be rightly pissed off myself. Id suggest kicking up quite a fuss. If on the other hand you are a physio student I think you need to take responsibility, why are you the only person who didnt get Garda clearance.
    Ive emailed the school but waiting for a reply.

Jesus H Christ, talk to them in person, or if that wasnt an immediate option ring them! Again back to the responsibility point, emails are non-personal and easy to ignore or give generic answers to. If you want something done, and the matter is urgent, they are not a good method of communication.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 skye22x

i no exactky what your going thru !! i have been trying to gain access to a police certificate and a f20 form for my boyfriend ( f20 form lists all convictions and arrests) since the third week in january !, after nine visits to the garda staion and over 20 calls to the us embassy citizens advice the garda headquarters etc i finally got the info i needed on my 4th call to the vetting office !! i was told its a very simple procedure but will take up to 40 days to process not 4 weeks !! the garda are so dumb they neglected to mention that i could just download a form from their official site !!!! ARRRRR here is a link to it http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/f20%20data%20protection%20access%20request.pdf as for the police cert i reccomend u print the following http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/law_enforcement/police_certificate_of_character and bring to ur local garda station and show it to them you need to bring an SAE etc click the link to find out the rest. make sure you get the garda's name who is processing the cert for you so u can ring them and hound them cause trust me your gonna have to, it shud take no longer than 2 weeks.
    PS ( i no u dont personally need the f20 form but id get it anyway because in order to do a police cert the garda need this info but will probably take there time in applying for it so do it yourself by clicking 1st link !)
    GOOD LUCK

Advertisement