Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Pro stops at Welcome screen

• 11-03-2009 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭

I have a probelm with an XP Pro PC: it gets as far as the Welcome screen and then hangs. The mouse and keyboard freeze also.
    I can boot it to safe mode and i ran chkdsk on it but it stops at 60% and goes no further.
    It couldn't be a damaged disk or else it wouldn't boot to safe mode?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

lukin wrote: »
    I have a probelm with an XP Pro PC: it gets as far as the Welcome screen and then hangs. The mouse and keyboard freeze also.
    I can boot it to safe mode and i ran chkdsk on it but it stops at 60% and goes no further.
    It couldn't be a damaged disk or else it wouldn't boot to safe mode?

It could still be damaged safe mode switches off what windows considers non essential features these could be stored on a damaged sector. so when you start it up normal and it tries to do go through it it hits a fault.

The fact that chkdsk wont finish is a very worrying sign.

Sorry I cant be of any help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

Chkdsk actually completed but it still freezes at the welcome screen. I did a system restore back to a date when it was OK but it makes no difference.
    Edit; it's OKwhen I get it back to a restore point but if I reboot it it freezes at the welcome screen again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sounds like malware or you have bad sectors that affect a few files

check on the http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1009 forum

use msconfig to remove startup stuff to rule out the usual susptects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

Still though, it's weird that it's OK when it restarts from the system restore but if I turn it off and on again it freezes at the welcome screen.
    At the moment the PC cannot be restarted while this problem is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Bodan

lukin wrote: »
    Still though, it's weird that it's OK when it restarts from the system restore but if I turn it off and on again it freezes at the welcome screen.
    At the moment the PC cannot be restarted while this problem is there.

I would hazard a guess that whatever Malware , Trojan or virus you have on your pc, re-installs itself when you restart the computer after system restore.

I had something similar happen to a friend a few months back, in the end it was easy to get rid of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement