Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in Burglarys in the Cabra/Blackhorse Avenue area?

Options
  • 11-03-2009 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

My parents live in an estate just off Blackhorse avenue and a lot of people in the estate have been burgled in the last few weeks. 2 of the women that my mother goes to mass with were burgled and from talking to people in the area it seems that every second person had had a burglary or an attempted burglary on their house. It seems like every day know there is a garda car outside somebodys house who has just been broken into.

I was telling this to a friend of mine who lives in Cabra and he was saying that there has been a spate of burglarys up his way as well. Just wondering if anybody who lives in the area has noticed an increase in houses getting broken into?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah, i am on the ratoath road and there has been huge increase since christmas eve

a few of my neighbours have had attempted break in's

all they have to do is look in my sitting room window and know i have nothing to rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some anti - Burglary solutions

1 .Have a cassettte of a large dog barking /growling inserted in your machine .On hearing said burglar try to gain entry , turn up volume , press play .( if you have a dog you probablly wont need )

2 .On having to leave the house for short / long periods , have a mannequin standing /sitting in your living room or bed room window, with a dim light on .The silhouette shadow will give impression of person in residence.

The burglar will think twice before entering your property .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Unfortunatly the new trend is knocking on old folks doors pretending to be guards or waterworks persons so a dummy in the window isn't likely to deter them. In the case of plain burglary,a noisy alarm with perhaps good neighbours who will investigate if it goes off is a good starter.

A spy glass on front door helps.If it's a complete stranger you just dont open ,specially if your elderly .

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

latchyco wrote: »

1 .Have a cassettte

If you've a working cassette sound system there's every chance that the rest of your belonging a safe too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 icecream2

latchyco wrote: »

1 .Have a cassettte of a large dog barking /growling inserted in your machine .On hearing said burglar try to gain entry , turn up volume , press play .( if you have a dog you probablly wont need )

2 .On having to leave the house for short / long periods , have a mannequin standing /sitting in your living room or bed room window, with a dim light on .The silhouette shadow will give impression of person in residence.

The burglar will think twice before entering your property .

Thats so funny, we are all laughing here.

humberklog wrote: »
    If you've a working cassette sound system there's every chance that the rest of your belonging a safe too.
    Burglars have being known to take broken casettes players to but they wont know it's broken til they play it later ...I think :confused:

icecream2 wrote: »
    Thats so funny, we are all laughing here.
    Twas ment to be funny but believe it or not I know somebody who uses both methods .He has never being broken into .....yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I live in Ashington and this happened me the other day. My family had heard from our neighbours about people knocking on the houses looking for "Mr. Murphy", which they believe was just to see if there was anyone in the house.

Some guy knocked at my door and my 14 year old sister answered. Asked for my dad (who was away) and my sister said "No he's in the shower but if your here to moan about the rottweilers go away. I think it's cruel to put muzzels on dogs." The guy quickly scarpered.

Alot of people who'd have money in their houses have been targeted like builders etc. The girl who does the local Avon catalogs was targeted a few weeks ago. The broke in during the day at about 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

My girlfriend lives up in Ashington. Her next door neighbour was burgled a couple of months ago. The gaurds said there have been a couple in that area alone. Alot of them happen during the day, usually to elderly people who pop out to the shops. They are being watched and monitored by these knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

This is not new,this has been going on in the area for the past 20 years,an old family friend died two years ago,who lived on the Cabra Road,in his eighties,on three separate occasions during his final year he was robbed,the last time it happened while out in his back garden,the thugs jumped over his wall forced him into his house and made him point out were all the valuables were,they left him badly beaten before leaving...................................................Lets not forget Jimmy Louth from Ratoath Road,while collecting a delivery from Clarkes bakery on the Cabra Road,stumbled accross some burglars and was beaten so badly he died weeks later from his injuries........................................................................also a woman in her seventies,raped and beaten while being burglared by some scumbag out of his mind on drugs in the old folks complex in Dunard..................................................I could go on with other horrific stories but will stop there...................................................................................................The offenders for all some of if not the majority of these burglaries all hail from the lower Blackhorse Avenue/North Circular area and are well known Parasites,not exactly master thieves,the Gardai are also well aware of these lower forms of life and also are aware of what they get up to,but are afraid to enter these areas to do anything about these scumbags,they are a stain on Dublin 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Irlbo wrote: »
    also a woman in her seventies,raped and beaten while being burglared by some scumbag out of his mind on drugs in the old folks complex in

I remember my mother telling me about that. It didnt happen that long ago if I recall. The poor woman. How could you get over something like that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Inform the local SF counciller,they can usually put a stop to this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Degsy wrote: »

They'll give it their best shot, I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Degsy wrote: »

As a former Shinner myself,I know all they will tell you to do is contact the gaurds,so what can they do,they are not willing to lose their new found conformist constitutional party reputaion and media friendly status,republican vigilantism is a thing of the past,maybe the people themselves should rally to take down these thugs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Irlbo wrote: »
    As a former Shinner myself,I know all they will tell you to do is contact the gaurds,so what can they do,they are not willing to lose their new found conformist constitutional party reputaion and media friendly status,republican vigilantism is a thing of the past,maybe the people themselves should rally to take down these thugs

Maybe but they have eyes and ears in low places.
    They're certainly worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

If anyone has any information regarding these burglaries, however small or trivial, please feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I was sitting in by myself tonight, watching TV. I heard a few thumps and scuffling very near the window. When I looked out I saw some knacker in a hoodie legging it down my drive and run across to the green. His mate was laughing. I went out and found that they had been working on the windscreen of my car with a brick. I called the gardai (not expecting CSI Cabra by the way) and I was surprised to get two gardai call up only about ten minutes later. At the time of the petty vandalism I was so angry I would have happily risked running after them to try breaking one of their limbs or something. No point though. The Gardai said that there had been a spate of breakages like this for the past few nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I grew up in that area but moved out 12 years ago.
    When I was a kid growing up it was a very peaceful area with a very very low crime rate.Then 2 new housing estates were built very close to each other and over the course of about a year the crime rate soared.

Advertisement