Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy in Drogheda?

Options
  • 11-03-2009 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Im a FTB looking to buy in drogheda and dont know the area too well so was wondering if there are any areas to definitely avoid?
    I've been looking at The Highlands estate on Rathmullen Rd as well as Ceaderfield, Bryanstown Manor, Martello Village, Grange Rath and Five Oaks. At moment I find myself falling deeply in lust with a house in Highlands but was wondering what kind of estate it is to live in :confused:
    Also Im pretty confused about fees and things so anyone who knows what they're talking about and wants to impart some friendly advice in my direction it'll be greatly apeciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

My Sis and separately a friend of ours live in the Highlands and they are quite happy there.

Grangerath is huge, Bryanstown Manor I don't know much about. I wouldn't be a big fan of Cedarfield. If you are not commuting to Dublin you may get better value for money on the North side of the town. Boyne Hall on the Slane Road, Westcourt, Ashfield and Georgian Close. I would avoid Termon Abbey in a couple of years the place is likely to be a bit of a jungle due to its size.

Solictors fees used to be 1% of the purchase price but I dare say like everything else at the moment if you shop around now you may get better value for money. Make sure you check what is included in the fee as there will be additional charges for title searches etc. Seller should be paying the fees of the estate agent.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mairead_or

Thanks for the advice and information...will defo keep it all in mind!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Out of the list you mentioned there is only 2 places I would consider, Grange Rath & Five Oaks.

You should check out some of the estates in Duleek, some of them including The Belfry are very nice and it's only 10 mins outside of the town of Drogheda.

Also some nice places in Termonfeckin, which is a really quiet area, again about 10 mins outside the town right on along the coast.

Forest Park isn't too bad of a place, there is a new estate being built named Avourwen or something like this, I've been to view the houses and they are extremely nice also in a decent safe area, well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dub in Louth

Hi Mairead,

Have you considered Deepforde on the Dublin Road in South Drogheda. I have lived there 2 years now and the houses are very well built. They are now going for 239,000 for a three bed. Not sure how much the 4 and 5 beds are. I think this represents great value as i paid 400,000 for the 3 bed only 2 years ago............

As for solicitors fees, if you are in a credit union ask them about getting a solicitor. i went through the Credit Union and it only cost 999 euros for the solicitor's fees.

Hope this helps

Good luck with your new house wherever you end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

To be honest if I was buying in Drogheda (which I wouldn't at the mo, i think you're mad), I'd look at some of the older and better established estates. The new estates (Grange Rath, Bryanstown and Termon Abbey in particular) seem to have a very high proportion of rentals which could be to it's detriment in the future, esp. with the economy going south at some speed...

Also re E239k for a 3-bed in Deepforde - saw this and laughed. We were trying to rent a 3-bed in there this time last year, had a rent agreed and were driving down to sign a lease when we were phoned to say that they'd decided to sell and the lease deal was off. Think the house is still on the Daft at E360+ and the poor vendors are out over 14k in lost rent. And aren't Deepforde chronic for noise insulation or something?

Also just because the houses have fallen 50k in 12 months (think the 3-bed starters in the advertised phase were on at E289 from the start) does not mean that 239 represents value in the current market - all it shows is how overpriced the market was and shows the potential to fall further, which in many peoples opinion it will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hello Mairead,

I live in Grange Rath and love it. It has great facilities with the football pitches and tennis courts, and yes it is big, but has lots of greenland in-between.

A couple of questions tho', what type of house do want and what's your budget? You can get a 4 bed detached for around €375,000 at the moment.

Service fees are around €210 per year, but this ensures the estate is well maintained and the common areas are well looked after.

Thanks all for the input...this is getting more confusing by the day!:) Starting to think alot of it will come down to how the house and area feels to me but all advice is being taking into consideration and 'm expending my viewing base as I type!
    As for it being a bad time to buy... its early days yet but it feels right for me to be undertaking this now, I do understand that prices are likey to continue to fall but I can't help but worry that I may miss out on a perfect house for me (for now at least!) if i don't at least look at whats available now?:)
    I'm pretty much looking for a 3+bed 2bath semi/end of terrace (detached would be great if I can get it but so far they're out of price range!)...dont fancy crossing the town to get to school in the mornings (teaching in Donore) so Termonfeckin has been ruled out but after that I'm hunting around everywhere! Didn't like Ceaderfield myself..house felt too small for me! Budget is about 255, but the less I have to get a mortgage for the happier i'll be! :)
    Will definitely have a word with local C.U. re solicitor...hadn't even dawned on me to try them!
    Thanks again!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

I came across this a few days ago, I'm not buying I was just having a nosey..

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=1&selected_agent=&id=296426&s%5Bagent_id%5D=2774&s%5Bp%5D=rprwxrxx

What a bargain! Ballsgrove is a great place, seems to be a close-knit community, mature, close to the town and motor-way and as far as I know this house if facing the large green area (I know people living in 70-something and they are facing the green)

Good luck with your search!

merryhappy wrote: »
    I came across this a few days ago, I'm not buying I was just having a nosey..

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=1&selected_agent=&id=296426&s%5Bagent_id%5D=2774&s%5Bp%5D=rprwxrxx

What a bargain! Ballsgrove is a great place, seems to be a close-knit community, mature, close to the town and motor-way and as far as I know this house if facing the large green area (I know people living in 70-something and they are facing the green)

Good luck with your search!

Good call. The older estates in the town now are great value IMO. 15 - 20 years ago they were a nightmare as families grew up and the dreaded teenagers ran amok. Older estates like Ballsgrove are well settled and as you rightly say within walking distance of town and have local shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I've seen a good few threads about property on this site over the last year or so but no-one's ever mentioned Knights Wood at Lagavooren in Drogheda. Just wondered what people think of it. I'm in the market and was looking at it myself. It's right beside Knockbrack Downs....is this a good or bad thing? Are people even aware it's there!?

• Advertisement

I live in Donore. Avourwen which I mentioned is very very suitable for access to Donore. It's about a 3 minute drive away.

There is also an estate in Donore which has a few houses up for sale, might be worth checking out.

There is also a lot of places in Duleek which is closer to Donore than Drogheda, The Steeples, Belfry there's quite a few others.

Thanks again to all contributing.... My real problem now is I've found the perfect house... a house which had me redecorating and making the space my home from the second I walked in...a house which needs no alterations to be perfect but in which I've already mentally knocked a wall down and landscaped the garden just to make it that little more fantastic....a house that I actually want and which maaged to change my whole attitude towards getting a house, made the expense and effort seem worth it
    .................... BUT I have one issue that I can't seem to resolve easily..... Its in an estate which is in my school catchement area and there are at least 15 families of kids who go to my school living there....now they are all lovely families but I'm just concerned that having them in the same estate would somehow alter our way of life? (Mine and the families there already?) Not quite sure if I should be forcing myself to put a bigger professional distance between myself and my job? All opinions welcome....though I'll make my own mind up eventually! :D

mairead_or wrote: »
    .................... BUT I have one issue that I can't seem to resolve easily..... Its in an estate which is in my school catchement area and there are at least 15 families of kids who go to my school living there....now they are all lovely families but I'm just concerned that having them in the same estate would somehow alter our way of life? (Mine and the families there already?) Not quite sure if I should be forcing myself to put a bigger professional distance between myself and my job? All opinions welcome....though I'll make my own mind up eventually! :D

I know this is a bit presumtious, but do you mean prevent you from goin on the lash? I'm a father of two and my wife and I have met some of our daughters teachers out on the beer on a number of occasions. A simple nod, a quick howya and we go about our business. After all we are the ones who are going home to mind the kids after drink so we are the ones who should in theory be more embarrassed.

Now I know not everybody is going to be non judgemental but I don't think you should let something like that affect your decision. After all what will you do if you go to an estate that you like less and find that you get other pupils and their parents moving in beside you.

LOL!
    no not at all...I dont drink actually! Though I can see why that sounded like what I was worried about!:) Guess my worry is more centred around the potential blurring of boundaries while in the estate in the evenings...though its really nice to get a parents perspective and feel reassured that I'm right to think it shouldn't make a huge difference to me as most parents want to maintain the seperation for their kids sakes as much as the teachers do!:)

Donore is a pretty quiet area to be honest, I can't imagine you'd have many issues with regards to the kids. They'd prob have more respect to you and behave themselves on the street more knowing that you live in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 DAMO@ARC

i suggest to you to make the lowest offer possible for any house in drog. has nothing is selling there at the moment,banks are only willing to lend to first time buyers so that gives you a major bargaining tool,whatever the estate agent says offer 25 %to 35% less.they will jump at the chance to sell something,the woods on dublin rd is not a bad estate.you hold all the cards so be frugal.
    don't let the agents bully you,because it is there bussiness to bully without you even knowing
    hope this is of use
    good luck with the most stressful thing you'll do ,till you realize what was all the fuss about.

:D I did it! I put in an offer and after a week of bartering the house is mine (pending a mountain of paperwork etc)!!!!
    Actually on that note how much on average should I expect to pay for a surveyor? Meeting my solicitor tomorrow and she's no where near Drogheda so reccommend I look for more local surveyor to keeps travel expenses down...any ideas??
    Thanks again for all the advice! You're a very helpful, honest bunch!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

:D I did it! I put in an offer and after a week of bartering the house is mine (pending a mountain of paperwork etc)!!!!
    Actually on that note how much on average should I expect to pay for a surveyor? Meeting my solicitor tomorrow and she's no where near Drogheda so reccommend I look for more local surveyor to keeps travel expenses down...any ideas??

Where did you buy in end and what figure roughly did you get them down to ?
    I am monitoring house prices in drogheda myself and have been told various stories and long tales by auctioneers ? Myself and a few friends are looking to snap up a bargain or two in the coming months

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mickus40

Im a ftb looking to buy in Drogheda at the momment. Prices have come down but I think that they will fall further (i hope anyway!) I was looking in the grange rath estate myself. Its huge, but actually does look well maintined and is well layed out. Im just nervous to buy now and then in a couple of months+, be in possible negative equity. Does anyone have any info on grange rath? Is it a nice area to live?, are they well built?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

mickus40 wrote: »
    Im a ftb looking to buy in Drogheda at the momment. Prices have come down but I think that they will fall further (i hope anyway!) I was looking in the grange rath estate myself. Its huge, but actually does look well maintined and is well layed out. Im just nervous to buy now and then in a couple of months+, be in possible negative equity. Does anyone have any info on grange rath? Is it a nice area to live?, are they well built?

I'm living there 4 years now and couldn't really ask for a better estate. A lot of people are put off by the size, but its well laid out with plenty of green area. The build quality of the houses have a good reputation and my own house specifically hasn't had any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lollypopshop

I am renting on the Ballymakenny road at the moment and think it is dead money, I have been checking out houses in College Rise, Aston Village and Westcourt. The prices are a bit all over the place in westcourt there is one priced at 345,000 on daft.ie but the house a few doors up is priced at 285,000 on tommybyrne.ie and con o donoghue has one another few doors up for 315,000. This is getting crazy, Aston Village have houses now for 197,000 but it is a maze of houses for sale which makes me think people cant wait to get out of the place. I know westcourt has a good reputation because it is quite and established and cant expand beyond the 150 houses in there but i dont know anyone living there to fill me in before i make a decision . College rise seems a little run down and the house i viewed there was in a cronic state and will cost a fortune to update and clean.

Anyone living in these estates that can fill me in on what they are like before i make an offer.

Anyone living in these estates that can fill me in on what they are like before i make an offer.

I haven't ever lived in Westcourt but know people who do and grew up not too far away from it. I wouldn't make any hesitations about living there. There is a few gaurds living there so I suppose the locals feel a little safer. Westcourt is the kinda place where all the kids have moved on, most people living there moved in when they were built and all their children have grown up and moved on. As said you'd be hard pressed to find somewhere more suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lollypopshop

Famous45 wrote: »
    I haven't ever lived in Westcourt but know people who do and grew up not too far away from it. I wouldn't make any hesitations about living there. There is a few gaurds living there so I suppose the locals feel a little safer. Westcourt is the kinda place where all the kids have moved on, most people living there moved in when they were built and all their children have grown up and moved on. As said you'd be hard pressed to find somewhere more suitable.

I did notice that it was very quite down the back of westcourt when i went in. I drove in again today to see what was happening and the streets were empty. I did notice a few garda cars which is a great deterrent i suppose to anyone up to no good. I get a really good vibe from the place and the front gardens are all lovely and maintained so at least i know my neighbours care about how the place looks.

thanks for the information.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sharky10

Hi Guys

I am considering moving to Drogheda within the next two years or so.. I currently live in Balbriggan. Can anyone suggest any good places in regards to environment and if its a good or bad area for Secondary and primary schools etc. I am currently looking at Knights Wood Lagovooren and absolutely love the houses but am not sure at all about the area... Can anyone suggest what its like here.

Thanks a million
    Sharky!!!1

Hey mairead congrats on the new house I was just wondering how your finding Drogheda we are considering moving there within the next couple of years but we don't really know the good areas etc that well at the moment which is why I am trying to research it... I Love the houses in Knight wood but have no Idea what this area is like... Any Ideas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

i used to work near knights wood if its the estate im thinking of, you'll be a walk away from 24hr tesco and right beside the m1

its a brand new estate as far as i know so dont think youll get too many reviews on what its like! its mostly an industrial area i think so not many houses around there

nearest secondary schools are st.olivers(mixed),st.Marys(boys) & sacred heart(girls), i attended st.olivers but id probably recommend the other 2. I think the secondary schools are decent, well i've never heard any major complaints about any of them from my friends etc and they all done quite well in the end

i used to work near knights wood if its the estate im thinking of, you'll be a walk away from 24hr tesco and right beside the m1

its a brand new estate as far as i know so dont think youll get too many reviews on what its like! its mostly an industrial area i think so not many houses around there

nearest secondary schools are st.olivers(mixed),st.Marys(boys) & sacred heart(girls), i attended st.olivers but id probably recommend the other 2. I think the secondary schools are decent, well i've never heard any major complaints about any of them from my friends etc and they all done quite well in the end
    Ah thanks a million for that. Prob gonna have a look at them just to get an Idea, Is this a nice part of the town?? What are the spots to avoid?? Were also looking into Five Oaks and GrangeRath!!!!

i wouldnt move to grangerath purely cause i couldnt look at that shopping centre everyday! otherwise id say its fine

ive had lots of friends live and grow up in five oaks, seems like a good estate

hard to describe the area where knights wood is, think of it like.... you have the town -estates that surround the town - then you have the industrial area,tesco, garages etc....then knights wood - then the motorway! so its not really in a community area as far as i know, when you visit it you might see what im talking about! Which might be a good thing i dunno

ill check later that its def the place im thinking of!

and ill think of some estates that look well and have a good rep

i wouldnt move to grangerath purely cause i couldnt look at that shopping centre everyday! otherwise id say its fine

ive had lots of friends live and grow up in five oaks, seems like a good estate

hard to describe the area where knights wood is, think of it like.... you have the town -estates that surround the town - then you have the industrial area,tesco, garages etc....then knights wood - then the motorway! so its not really in a community area as far as i know, when you visit it you might see what im talking about! Which might be a good thing i dunno

ill check later that its def the place im thinking of!

and ill think of some estates that look well and have a good rep
    Thanks again really appreciate that

• Advertisement

Stameen is very nice, lots of trees and grass, if i was to buy in town id probably go there. It's an older estate though so the houses prob a bit smaller

I'm told shannon homes have a good reputation for quality so that'd be anything from wheaton hall to grangerath. I know a good few people from wheaton hall and theyre very happy with it, massive estate mind you!

I lived in meadowview & rosevale from the age of about 19-26 and thought they were decent, particularly rosevale. Theyre older and hence smaller houses but a very nice community from what i could see. Only problem with Meadowview was a lot of people pass through it to get to to other estates & roads etc where as Rosevale is cut off so you dont get people passing through

Thats about all i know but if you're viewing an estate let me know and ill ask around if you want , best of luck!

Advertisement