Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy in Drogheda?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

Sharky10 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I am considering moving to Drogheda within the next two years or so.. I currently live in Balbriggan. Can anyone suggest any good places in regards to environment and if its a good or bad area for Secondary and primary schools etc. I am currently looking at Knights Wood Lagovooren and absolutely love the houses but am not sure at all about the area... Can anyone suggest what its like here.

Thanks a million
    Sharky!!!1

be careful would be my advice,
    i was gonna buy a house in there. they are absolutly gorgous. put down a deposit etc but when our solicitor was going over everything he found quite a few problems with it which were never resolved. eventually pulled out of it and bought one in avourwen.. just down the road... best decision i've ever made if you ask me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Stameen is very nice, lots of trees and grass, if i was to buy in town id probably go there. It's an older estate though so the houses prob a bit smaller

I'm told shannon homes have a good reputation for quality so that'd be anything from wheaton hall to grangerath.

the finish in some wheaton hall houses was not great, during the recent bad frost i was told that a lot of houses pipes frozen over and no water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 exodus1

am a first time buyer and looking to buy in knightswood, - 3 bed. does anyone please have an idea of what the area is really like... socially and any advise to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

i live in stameen and think its one of the nicest estates in drogheda and the fact that there a fair few police living in the estate id consider it pretty safe (lived here 8 years and only ever heard of 1 break in/robbery/car thieft)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

exodus1 wrote: »
    am a first time buyer and looking to buy in knightswood, - 3 bed. does anyone please have an idea of what the area is really like... socially and any advise to offer?

right beside Knockbrack Downs wwhich has the potential to become another Moneymore in the next few years....

No offence of course to anyone who's from Knockbrack Downs or Moneymore... lovely places... this time of year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 costellob

If you are still considering knightswood this might be worth a read first.....

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/08/03/4005869-nama-seizes-11-properties-in-meath

Some nice 3 beds going in Roschoill on the Dublin Road which is where I live, quiet, safe, easy walk to train/town etc

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

what's wheaton hall like to live in?

I lived in Wheaton Hall before.... nice little spot to live in
    Barley Cove was where we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

We're here for about 10 years now and we're really happy living here.
    You're in walking distance of town as well as the Black Bull, Eastern Seaboard etc.
    GP practice, Mace shop, Chinese and Chipper at the entrance.
    30 mins to Dublin airport.
    We find it very quiet and safe, all the neighbours are sound.
    I think the best thing about the estate is that all the sections are designed as cul de sacs so you don't get much passing traffic.
    I think each area also has a 'green', ours does so the kids are outside playing with their pals for hours at a time.
    Can't see us ever leaving tbh!

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 OwnHome

We have been renting in Wheaton hall for several years now. Would be worried about that smell that hits Wheaton hall every now and then. Appearently its the Dairy (Dublin Rd) and sewage (on Mars Road) that's causing it. Our drains doesn't smell too often or too strong but know a few neighbours who's draines smells really badly they need to keep their windows shut!! So make sure your house is not the smelly one..

• Advertisement

OwnHome wrote: »
    We have been renting in Wheaton hall for several years now. Would be worried about that smell that hits Wheaton hall every now and then. Appearently its the Dairy (Dublin Rd) and sewage (on Mars Road) that's causing it. Our drains doesn't smell too often or too strong but know a few neighbours who's draines smells really badly they need to keep their windows shut!! So make sure your house is not the smelly one..

which parts of the estate are smelly?

which parts of the estate are smelly?

Pongy place, whiffy way & rotten rise are particularly bad....

(Sorry... :pac:)

kormak wrote: »
    Pongy place, whiffy way & rotten rise are particularly bad....

(Sorry... :pac:)

i'll avoid them areas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Looking at five oaks village,it seems nice,any advise on moving there, and has the council taken charge of general maintenance,roads etc. Any community charges,who is good for broadband,bins? thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I don't know about 5 Oaks in particular but any privately built estate taken in charge by the council is for roads and street lighting ONLY! They will not cut grass maintain hedges, fix footpaths, etc, etc, etc. This is the residents responsibility so look for an estate with an ACTIVE management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭shelly6

Any opinions on Meadowview? Or Rosevale?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jjkale

Sorry to revive an old thread but looking for some honest advice re. property in Drogheda. We had booked a house in Avourwen but delays and lack of certainty means we've had to pull out. Have a fair idea of Dublin Rd property, but now looking for some advice in the Rathmullan Road area, specifically Riverbank & The Highlands? Any feedback on these estates would be welcome.

As we are not local or living locally viewing different areas is difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

jjkale wrote: »
    ...but now looking for some advice in the Rathmullan Road area, specifically Riverbank & The Highlands?

I remember reading that Riverbank had a lot of issues with unfinished roads & subsidence of the roads/paths, sewers etc.
    But that the council is now taking it over.

http://droghedalife.com/791/103817/a/council-to-take-charge-of-five-drogheda-estates-including-riverbank
    http://droghedalife.com/791/17714/a/maher-angry-at-riverbank-estate-delay-its-time-to-get-tough-he-says

Both Riverbank and the Highlands were built by Menolly homes.
    And this link from 2007 shows that some of the homes that Menolly built had pyrite contamination Menolly Homes pyrite Link

I've heard zero about pyrite issues in Riverbank, but it would be something to check with Menolly homes history.

Looks like Menolly group is liquidating too Feb 2016 Link

Not sure if that is to avoid any potential legal liability?
    But I'd just be cautious.
    Might require more expensive survey of the house to set your mind at rest, talk to solicitor about what happens if issues are found etc.
    If you do get to that stage the seller accepting an offer.
    Also, get the solicitor to check whether the existing owner already accepted some cash if there were existing issues and signed something to say they won't pursue the builders for more.

I didn't hear anything bad about the Highlands and have been in a 4 bed house there, nice size seemed well built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Riverbank has no issue with unfinished roads or with pyrite.

The subsidence is not in Riverbank but along the ramparts path that runs along the Boyne behind Riverbank. I think this has been repaired properly now after many failed attempts.

Both Highlands and Riverbank have a high ratio of rented accommodation (though this is diminishing slowly).

Highlands has a residents association, Riverbank, at present, does not.

Also worth nothing that the land between Highlands/Riverbank and the motorway has been sold recently (and very quickly) with planning permission for more estates.

Both estates are still quite young (c.15 years) and I don't think the teenage population has peaked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lacikaa

Hi guys
    Im thinking to buy a house in ballsgrove donore avenue
    Is anybody knows if its safe or any anti social activity gonig on around that area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

lacikaa wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Im thinking to buy a house in ballsgrove donore avenue
    Is anybody knows if its safe or any anti social activity gonig on around that area?

Ballsgrove is nice, but unfortunately it's connected to Rathmullen, which isn't so nice. I guess it depends on your expectations then really.

Advertisement