Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight or not?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

jank wrote: »
    Anyway the original reason why the famine was brought up is because you argued that the British were running Ireland "quite effectively" (your words).
    No I did not. Maybe you would like to think I did, but I did not (and I suspect you know I did not).
    I am glad we are on the same page now on what actually transpired rather than a worm hole. 1916 however strongly you disagree with it happened. And the rest is history.
    I could have sworn this thread began with a hypothetical question.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Thats fair enough but you are directly implying that I think that we would still be in the union if it weren't for the rising without me ever saying that.
    If you believe that we could have had a republic without armed rebellion, all you have to do is say so.
    Was the rising justified. At the time probably not, but subsequent British handling of it in my opinion cemented public opinion (along with the push for conscription) at the time that the British will never put the interests of the Irish people before their own.

Hence why the overwhelming victory for sinn fein in the 1918 election. So in that respect I think it was justified as the catalyst for future Independence.
    And that's where we'll differ. Some time in the future, someone's probably going to try to claim that the Omagh bombing was justified because <insert retrospective sophistry here>, but nothing will ever change the fact that it was a callous act of mass murder. Similarly, I don't see why I should buy into the mythology that 1916 was a justifiable course of action, just because we subsequently became a republic.
    And others said they would given the failure of British rule & occupation in Ireland on many levels. Of course people are going to say it was wrong as people died. But do I understand why they did it. Yes.
    I understand why they did it. I also understand why a group of hijackers flew planes into the WTC and the Pentagon. That understanding doesn't change the fact that, in both cases, I think it was wrong of them to do so.
    To paint the 1916 rebels as blood drunk Islamic fascists is wrong.
    It really would help if you'd stick to the facts. Nobody's talking about Islam or fascism (except in my analogy earlier). As for Pearse's bloodlust, it's well-documented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

djpbarry wrote: »
    No I did not. Maybe you would like to think I did, but I did not (and I suspect you know I did not).

Sigh... Your taking the piss at this stage. Sorry but it was your quote not mine that said that. Did you not use the words "quite effectively"?
    I could have sworn this thread began with a hypothetical question.

Ah yes it is, but I think some people are getting confused with reality and hypothesis, as if they are 100% right and us plebs are bought in by tear jerking republican folklore.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you believe that we could have had a republic without armed rebellion, all you have to do is say so. .

Well of course it was possible but I don't think the odds would have favored it in my opinion.

I believe it could have happened but wasn't very likely hence I believe more so in the rising. Your accusation was pretty over the top though. Just because I didn't start a thread condemning Joesph Fritzel doesn't mean I approve of incest and child murder. That example was a bit extreme but putting words in my mouth doesn't do this debate any good. So I would like you to withdraw that comment about me.
    And that's where we'll differ. Some time in the future, someone's probably going to try to claim that the Omagh bombing was justified because <insert retrospective sophistry here>, but nothing will ever change the fact that it was a callous act of mass murder. Similarly, I don't see why I should buy into the mythology that 1916 was a justifiable course of action, just because we subsequently became a republic. .

And the main catalyst for a republic was the rising.

I agree the Omagh bombing was mass murder. However the 2 incidents are completely different. One didn't directly target civilians the other had a declaration of a Republic. However I think your example is bull $hit tbh. One could play that game all day saying that this act was justified or that act was justified, ranging from the Holocaust to the French revolution.

You dint buy into the mythology of 1916, thats fine, so what do you buy into?

Your complete disregard of other factors of the time and this event strikes me as idealistic. Churchill said that "The Irish have too much power in England and not enough power at home", and he was no dove!

It is fine to play "what if" history but one must be completely objective, and I think thats where you totally fail. Objectivity. So give me a scenario of a republic without any violence
    I understand why they did it. I also understand why a group of hijackers flew planes into the WTC and the Pentagon. That understanding doesn't change the fact that, in both cases, I think it was wrong of them to do so. .

I might understand why a husband kills his cheating wife, but that doesn't make it right. Completely out of context I know. It was fine to think they were wrong and in the WTC they were wrong but one has to be objective about it and look at what the CIA call "blowback" from American meddling in the Middle East. Going way off topic.

It is fine for you to believe that the rising was wrong, I accept it but disagree but you must also accept that there are others (the vast majority of Irish people IMO) nowadays believe that the rising was the first real step to being a republic there was for use of a better word justified.

It really would help if you'd stick to the facts. Nobody's talking about Islam or fascism (except in my analogy earlier)

Isn't the last sentence an oxymoron?
    As for Pearse's bloodlust, it's well-documented.

I agree but why didn't he just shoot his neighbor then, or what about the rest of them like Connelly. Did Pearse force them at the point of a gun to die for their country? Did they all want to cleanse their soul with blood of the dead?

I think you are too focused on pearses' bloodlust. Remember objectivity?

Are you suggesting that the rebellion of 1798 was wrong too?

Well of course it was possible but I don't think the odds would have favored it in my opinion.

I believe it could have happened but wasn't very likely hence I believe more so in the rising.
    I suspect we're trending towards agreeing to differ, but: the leaders of the rising proclaimed an Irish Republic in 1916. The actual Republic of Ireland that we live in today came about in 1949. It amazes me that anyone can believe the same result couldn't have been achieved in thirty-three years without armed rebellion.
    Your accusation was pretty over the top though. Just because I didn't start a thread condemning Joesph Fritzel doesn't mean I approve of incest and child murder. That example was a bit extreme but putting words in my mouth doesn't do this debate any good. So I would like you to withdraw that comment about me.
    I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.
    And the main catalyst for a republic was the rising.
    The main catalyst for independence was the Irish people's desire for it. The majority would have been happy with Home Rule - you can't possibly contest that. The path from there to a republic is not that different from that of a free state.
    I agree the Omagh bombing was mass murder. However the 2 incidents are completely different. One didn't directly target civilians the other had a declaration of a Republic.
    If all they had done was nail the proclamation to the door of the GPO, you might have a point. They didn't; they took up arms and precipitated a rebellion that directly led to widespread loss of life and destruction of property, and indirectly led to a vicious and bloody war of independence.
    However I think your example is bull $hit tbh.
    Of course you do.
    One could play that game all day saying that this act was justified or that act was justified, ranging from the Holocaust to the French revolution.
    If you can find a historical justification for the holocaust, fair play to you. As for the French revolution, it's hardly a shining example of the ideal way to create a modern nation-state.
    You dint buy into the mythology of 1916, thats fine, so what do you buy into?
    Why is it necessary to buy into any mythology at all? What's wrong with looking at history objectively?
    Your complete disregard of other factors of the time and this event strikes me as idealistic.
    Who says I'm disregarding anything? Taking everything into account, I remain convinced that the main reason Irish independence was such a vicious, bloody affair was the completely unnecessary Easter rising.
    It is fine to play "what if" history but one must be completely objective, and I think thats where you totally fail. Objectivity. So give me a scenario of a republic without any violence
    On the contrary, I think I am looking at history objectively, without green-tinted glasses.

It's impossible for me to describe a scenario without violence, especially with all the sabre-rattling that was going on up north. But I fail to see how you can consider armed insurrection as a laudable and necessary thing, just because the parliamentary route might have led to conflict later.
    It is fine for you to believe that the rising was wrong, I accept it but disagree but you must also accept that there are others (the vast majority of Irish people IMO) nowadays believe that the rising was the first real step to being a republic there was for use of a better word justified.
    Oh, I accept that people believe that; the mythology has become an accepted part of our history. It's not comfortable to think that your national identity is predicated on unnecessary bloodshed in the past. That's where objectivity comes in.
    Isn't the last sentence an oxymoron?
    I had to include it, or you'd have pounced on my analogy. As it is, you've pounced on it anyway, so: what's your excuse? Who mentioned Islam and fascism before you did?
    I agree but why didn't he just shoot his neighbor then, or what about the rest of them like Connelly. Did Pearse force them at the point of a gun to die for their country? Did they all want to cleanse their soul with blood of the dead?
    Presumably, since they bought into his rhetoric.
    I think you are too focused on pearses' bloodlust. Remember objectivity?
    To ignore his self-proclaimed desire for bloodshed as a cleansing thing is to abandon objectivity. Pearse actively wanted the political process to fail; his zeal for a republic founded on martyrdom was a key reason for the rebellion. If you gloss over that, you're just buying the mythology that accepts that only bloodshed could possibly have achieved his objectives. I don't buy it.
    Are you suggesting that the rebellion of 1798 was wrong too?
    I think more could have been achieved with less loss of life, yes.

• Advertisement

I suspect we're trending towards agreeing to differ, but: the leaders of the rising proclaimed an Irish Republic in 1916. The actual Republic of Ireland that we live in today came about in 1949. It amazes me that anyone can believe the same result couldn't have been achieved in thirty-three years without armed rebellion.

And as I repeatably say that may have come to pass but I don't think it would have been very likely. Reasons given in many other threads.

I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.

Basically reading into what I say or rather what I don't say.
    The main catalyst for independence was the Irish people's desire for it. The majority would have been happy with Home Rule - you can't possibly contest that. The path from there to a republic is not that different from that of a free state.

Yea I agree that the majority wanted home rule and voted accordingly pre 1916. Sinn Fein was a footnote at that time. However the elections of 1918 was very different of those of 1910. The rising was the main catalyst for the huge change of public opinion and the means towards the road of Independence. You cant contest that.
    If all they had done was nail the proclamation to the door of the GPO, you might have a point. They didn't; they took up arms and precipitated a rebellion that directly led to widespread loss of life and destruction of property, and indirectly led to a vicious and bloody war of independence.

Well if they just went home after the proclamation then I don't think it would ever be known what they did. I repeat myself again that loss of life is regrettable but hindsight is bliss.

Using your point if the British just said "OK, we will go home then" then there would have been no violence. Far fetched but I don't see you proportioning blame on them?
    Of course you do.
    Hyperbole
    If you can find a historical justification for the holocaust, fair play to you. As for the French revolution, it's hardly a shining example of the ideal way to create a modern nation-state.

No, not me (putting words in my mouth again) but I'm sure there is someone out there in the world that will try and justify the holocaust. Hence the stupid game we could play..... and on it goes....:cool:

Anyway what non - violent revolution is a shining light of a creation of a nation state that occurred at the beginning of the 20th century?
    Why is it necessary to buy into any mythology at all? What's wrong with looking at history objectively?

Nothing at all, but you think because I take a conventional view that I didn't look at things objectively because I come up with the conventional view. I.E I swallow up everything I'm taught. I think you need to come off your high horse.
    Who says I'm disregarding anything? Taking everything into account, I remain convinced that the main reason Irish independence was such a vicious, bloody affair was the completely unnecessary Easter rising.

Thats fine but in the next quote you contradict yourself.
    On the contrary, I think I am looking at history objectively, without green-tinted glasses. .

It's impossible for me to describe a scenario without violence, especially with all the sabre-rattling that was going on up north. But I fail to see how you can consider armed insurrection as a laudable and necessary thing, just because the parliamentary route might have led to conflict later.

Even by your own admission an independent Ireland without violence is impossible to visualize i.e very likely to occur, yet you associate pretty much all blame of the violent troubles we had in this country on the rising and the people behind it.:confused:

Oh, I accept that people believe that; the mythology has become an accepted part of our history. It's not comfortable to think that your national identity is predicated on unnecessary bloodshed in the past. That's where objectivity comes in.

You can call it mythology if you want but most people call it history, because it happened.

Anyway I'm not sure why you are so sensitive and uncomfortable to the past and the rising. It was a long time ago. Should an American hang his head in shame because of the bloodshed of the American revolution or a French man ignore Bastille day celebrations? Maybe its just an Irish thing to have this guilty outlook. We don't even have a national Independence day which is a rare thing for a country. Instead we have a get pissed day.
    I had to include it, or you'd have pounced on my analogy. As it is, you've pounced on it anyway, so: what's your excuse? Who mentioned Islam and fascism before you did?

I did, but you sure made the modern links to it.
    Presumably, since they bought into his rhetoric.

LOL, really? Pearce a messianic figure that dabbles in mind control. Lol.
    I hear that you ordered 13 young virgins to perform seppuku the night before the rising.:p
    To ignore his self-proclaimed desire for bloodshed as a cleansing thing is to abandon objectivity. Pearce actively wanted the political process to fail; his zeal for a republic founded on martyrdom was a key reason for the rebellion. If you gloss over that, you're just buying the mythology that accepts that only bloodshed could possibly have achieved his objectives. I don't buy it.

I didn't tell you ignore it but maybe look at other things and factors. Pearce died in 1916. Why didn't the violence an martyrdom die with him?
    I think more could have been achieved with less loss of life, yes.

Yet you try and down play your idealism of history and life:D

Ireland have had countless rebellions over the last few hundreds years. They all failed including the rising, but what the rising did was give birth to the general population the idea of a republic and full Independence. It took time and loss of life but that is what happened. I don't think you can not concur with that.

One can think up thousands of difference scenarios of how we would become a Republic without the rising. Some argue that we might still not be a republic today! But even by your own admission it is almost impossible to think up a scenario where NO violence would have occurred.
    Therefore arguing over the rising and its bloodshed seems a bit ....... short sighted and a waste of everyones time.

Yea I agree that the majority wanted home rule and voted accordingly pre 1916. Sinn Fein was a footnote at that time. However the elections of 1918 was very different of those of 1910. The rising was the main catalyst for the huge change of public opinion and the means towards the road of Independence. You cant contest that.
    Of course I can contest it. You speak as if the "road to independence" began on the steps of the GPO in 1916, which is patent nonsense, and an insult to the memory of O'Connell, Parnell and Redmond.

The road to independence was well advanced, until the 1916 rising diverted it onto a path of bloodshed and internecine warfare.
    Well if they just went home after the proclamation then I don't think it would ever be known what they did. I repeat myself again that loss of life is regrettable but hindsight is bliss.
    We obviously have different definitions of "regret". For me it means wishing something hadn't happened; for you it seems to mean celebrating it.
    Using your point if the British just said "OK, we will go home then" then there would have been no violence. Far fetched but I don't see you proportioning blame on them?
    On the contrary, I said it would be difficult to outline a scenario that didn't involve violence at some point.

As for the "British going home", that's the sort of revisionism that makes it impossible to have an objective discussion on the topic. Ireland was a part of the United Kingdom in 1916. The "British" troops and police that were stationed here were formed almost exclusively of Irishmen. They couldn't "go home", they were home.
    Anyway what non - violent revolution is a shining light of a creation of a nation state that occurred at the beginning of the 20th century?
    Who needs revolution? What's wrong with how Canada achieved independence?
    Even by your own admission an independent Ireland without violence is impossible to visualize i.e very likely to occur, yet you associate pretty much all blame of the violent troubles we had in this country on the rising and the people behind it.:confused:
    I didn't say it's impossible to visualise; but it's impossible to describe a completely non-violent scenario without someone popping up and explaining how violence "would have" inevitably resulted.

So yes, I accept that the pursuit of peaceful means towards independence could have, and quite likely would have, resulted in violence in the north. But to use the possibility violence as a justification for violence is just silly - it's like punching someone in the face to start a fight, and then claiming that you had to, because if you didn't he might have punched you and started the fight anyway.
    You can call it mythology if you want but most people call it history, because it happened.
    It did? Really?? :rolleyes:

I'm not disputing that it happened. I'm disputing that it was necessary, or even productive.
    Anyway I'm not sure why you are so sensitive and uncomfortable to the past and the rising. It was a long time ago. Should an American hang his head in shame because of the bloodshed of the American revolution or a French man ignore Bastille day celebrations?
    If America or France had an ongoing problem with murderers claiming their historical roots as a retrospective justification for their present-day actions, they might have reason to regret them too.

The problem with claiming that bloodshed was necessary (if "regrettable") to advance a political cause in 1916 is that the same justification is still used today: the murder of soldiers, police officers, pizza deliverymen, pregnant women and Spanish students is considered by some to be necessary (but "regrettable") to further their cause. The parallels are there: the claims of "occupation" (which Ireland wasn't in 1916, and Northern Ireland isn't now), the belief that the political process is a sell-out of the One True Religion of a 32-county Republic, the callous willingness to shed as much blood as is necessary to achieve those aims, the total indifference to the fact that the vast majority of the population have no sympathy for the cause.

They rely on the type of thinking that you've espoused here: that unnecessary and unwanted acts of violence will somehow be transformed into the widespread support of the people. The continued glorification of the Rising provides historical justification for today's acts of terrorism.
    LOL, really? Pearce a messianic figure that dabbles in mind control. Lol.
    I hear that you ordered 13 young virgins to perform seppuku the night before the rising.:p
    And you accuse me of hyperbole...
    I didn't tell you ignore it but maybe look at other things and factors. Pearce died in 1916. Why didn't the violence an martyrdom die with him?
    Largely because of some extreme stupidity on the part of the government of the day.
    Ireland have had countless rebellions over the last few hundreds years. They all failed including the rising, but what the rising did was give birth to the general population the idea of a republic and full Independence. It took time and loss of life but that is what happened. I don't think you can not concur with that.
    I concur that an independent republic happened, but I don't accept that violence was required to achieve it. The most important steps on the road to independence - Catholic emancipation, the Land League, Home Rule - were achieved by parliamentary means. You've said yourself that every armed rebellion was a failure - why are we so obsessed with eulogising our failed violence over our successful negotiations?
    One can think up thousands of difference scenarios of how we would become a Republic without the rising. Some argue that we might still not be a republic today! But even by your own admission it is almost impossible to think up a scenario where NO violence would have occurred.
    Therefore arguing over the rising and its bloodshed seems a bit ....... short sighted and a waste of everyones time.
    No. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat its mistakes.

Everything worthwhile in this country's history was achieved through negotiation and diplomacy. Armed rebellion, by definition, leads to bloodshed. Bloodshed leads inevitably to more bloodshed, and so on.

As long as we continue to glorify the violence of the past, we will continue to provide justification for the violence of the present - whether or not that was our intention.

Sigh... Your taking the piss at this stage. Sorry but it was your quote not mine that said that. Did you not use the words "quite effectively"?
    I’m taking the piss? I originally stated that…
    …Irish people were represented (rather effectively) at Westminster.
    A reference to the sterling efforts of the likes of Parnell and Redmond in having Irish concerns addressed at parliamentary level. I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the early 20th century, given the subject of the thread. You then replied with…
    I presume you never heard of the Irish Famine of the mid 1840's?;)
    You have since maintained that I put forward the opinion that Ireland was governed rather effectively at the time of the famine, which I clearly did not. You are deliberately misrepresenting what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

Oscar is quite right about the difference between America and France on one hand, and Ireland on the other.

The American and French Revolutions won out, the tragedy of the Republican project in Ireland (est 1793) is that it has only been partially successful.

This means that it's history is still a potent force today, and will be until it fulfills its charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

Interesting, our 32 county thread was closed down because it digressed from the initial subject to a debate about the merits of treaty/ truce, yet this one is allowed to swerve from its initial point because the moderator is involved? A case of 'its my ball and you're not playing with it' :)

Playground Dictators :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

But anyway, back onto the point at hand!

Most historians worth their salt would tell you that Irish independence would owe itself to the chain reaction started in Easter Week 1916. Constitutional nationalism had hit a brick wall, and even if it hadnt have the measure of independence we were to be granted was minimal. Home Rule was against the ropes, and even if and when it was brought in we would have been forced into a violent struggle to defend it. 1916 reawakened the countries struggle for freedom and pushed us to strive once again for a REAL freedom.

Plus I think its a shame to read posts rejecting the importance of the sacrifice of men such as the signatories of 1916, these people gave their lives and died for this country and the likes of ye. Would ye?

Shane-1 wrote: »
    Most historians worth their salt...
    I'll take the last three words to mean "that agree with me..."
    Plus I think its a shame to read posts rejecting the importance of the sacrifice of men such as the signatories of 1916, these people gave their lives and died for this country and the likes of ye. Would ye?
    Whatever about people willing to die for the country, I'm not enamoured of people who want to kill for it - especially when the country would rather they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Warning!

Discussing moderation of this forum in a thread, earns you a ban and infraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Whatever about people willing to die for the country, I'm not enamoured of people who want to kill for it - especially when the country would rather they didn't.

Hear hear

I’m taking the piss? I originally stated that…
    A reference to the sterling efforts of the likes of Parnell and Redmond in having Irish concerns addressed at parliamentary level. I thought it was obvious that I was referring to the early 20th century, given the subject of the thread. You then replied with…
    You have since maintained that I put forward the opinion that Ireland was governed rather effectively at the time of the famine, which I clearly did not. You are deliberately misrepresenting what I said.

That is all you had to say. I agree that Parnell, Redmond and co. did a great job in putting forward the Irish issues at Westminster along with Gladstone it must be said. However the conservatives and the house of lords still rejected (with laughter on one occasion) any attempts of Home Rule.

Which cements the case of how much real say Ireland have in running its own country.

At least we agree that Westminster's handling of the famine was less then ideal.

Of course I can contest it. You speak as if the "road to independence" began on the steps of the GPO in 1916, which is patent nonsense, and an insult to the memory of O'Connell, Parnell and Redmond. .

Of course it was advanced, but as I keep saying the major spark was the rising. It was the ultimate catalyst for change in the way forward (or backward whatever way you look at it) to freedom.
    The road to independence was well advanced, until the 1916 rising diverted it onto a path of bloodshed and internecine warfare.

Well advanced but ultimately fruitless as it hit a wall. Tell me if the war of independence was unpopular as you make it out to be why did the majority of the people support it? Why did Sinn Fein get so much support in 1918 when a lot of the people knew what they stood for?

And as you say a Republic of Ireland without ANY violence is impossible to visualise so we are going around in circles here.
    We obviously have different definitions of "regret". For me it means wishing something hadn't happened; for you it seems to mean celebrating it.

Yeah go death and blood!!! Seriously!:rolleyes:
    On the contrary, I said it would be difficult to outline a scenario that didn't involve violence at some point.

So why are you arguing over the semantics of the rising? Violence was going in reality to occur anyway and guess what it did. You blame the rising for the violent struggle of independence while fully expecting that violence was going to occur pretty much anyway?:confused:
    As for the "British going home", that's the sort of revisionism that makes it impossible to have an objective discussion on the topic. Ireland was a part of the United Kingdom in 1916. The "British" troops and police that were stationed here were formed almost exclusively of Irishmen. They couldn't "go home", they were home.

Your being pedantic, you know exactly what I mean but I should have used a better phrase, sorry.

But my question still stands. Do you proportion any blame on how the British handled the situation? For example, the widespread destruction was mainly caused by British artillery.

Who needs revolution? What's wrong with how Canada achieved independence?

Nothing at all and if the British were so accommodating to us as they were to the Canadians then we could have had that.

I said that many times in my previous posts. I also said that when Gladstone was trying to compare the Irish and the Canadians in Westminster he said “The Canadians were not nice and friendly so they got Home Rule; they are nice and friendly because of Home Rule". I.e. they learned from the American Revolution to treat your subjects with a degree of respect otherwise the **** will hit the fan.

I repeat what I said earlier, why was the Home rule bill voted down twice? Why was there a 47 year gap between Canada getting a devolved government (Home Rule) and Ireland finally get its own Home Rule bill passed. Why did Ireland her oldest colony have less say in her own affairs then other far flung colonies for so long? What made Ireland so different? Do you proportion any blame to the ruling elite of the British Empire to "ignoring" the Irish's wishes for so long and its piecemeal approach and creating a vacuum where revolutionary ideals could flourish?

I didn't say it's impossible to visualise; but it's impossible to describe a completely non-violent scenario without someone popping up and explaining how violence "would have" inevitably resulted....

Exactly, so these hypothetical questions are getting us nowhere. We should accept what actually happened no matter how strongly you disagree with it and move on.

So yes, I accept that the pursuit of peaceful means towards independence could have, and quite likely would have, resulted in violence in the north. But to use the possibility violence as a justification for violence is just silly - it's like punching someone in the face to start a fight, and then claiming that you had to, because if you didn't he might have punched you and started the fight anyway. ..

So what is your argument here? I’m not trying to justify anything but I'm just realistic to what happened and in all possibility what could have happened.

It did? Really?? :rolleyes:

I'm not disputing that it happened. I'm disputing that it was necessary, or even productive. ..

Necessary, maybe not, productive, well that’s the crux of the argument. History tells us it DID lead to a republic so one can’t dismiss it altogether.
    Anyway mythology is something to describe Nordic or ancient Greek gods, not something that happened 90 odd years ago. Maybe a better term to use is a happy melancholy.
    If America or France had an ongoing problem with murderers claiming their historical roots as a retrospective justification for their present-day actions, they might have reason to regret them too.

This is true and I agree, however, there are 2 tails to that story. The IRA (I Ran Away) in the late 50's was pretty much a dead entity. What brought it back to life were the civil rights movement and the lack of reform in the north and the subsequent treatment of Catholics and nationalists. I am not dismissing that the rising brought to them some justification of their actions but why not proportion blame evenly? I am not using this excuse for their actions but to dismiss any root cause is not being objective and trying to compare apple and oranges.

But these other revolutions happened way before the rising. Look at India and its "peaceful" rise to independence. I don’t have to describe the ethnic ongoing problems in that region. Ireland's recent troubles are nothing compared to what happened and is happening over there.
    Canada has had a bit of trouble with a Quebec liberation movement. The treatment of Native Americans by white settlers is one of the greatest crimes in history. France had a lot of blood split because of these revolutions, including Napoleon's conquests of europe. I fact most French people I think are proud of Napoleon (check out his tomb at Les Invalides to see what I mean.)

The problem with claiming that bloodshed was necessary (if "regrettable") to advance a political cause in 1916 is that the same justification is still used today: the murder of soldiers, police officers, pizza deliverymen, pregnant women and Spanish students is considered by some to be necessary (but "regrettable") to further their cause. The parallels are there: the claims of "occupation" (which Ireland wasn't in 1916, and Northern Ireland isn't now), the belief that the political process is a sell-out of the One True Religion of a 32-county Republic, the callous willingness to shed as much blood as is necessary to achieve those aims, the total indifference to the fact that the vast majority of the population have no sympathy for the cause.

They rely on the type of thinking that you've espoused here: that unnecessary and unwanted acts of violence will somehow be transformed into the widespread support of the people. The continued glorification of the Rising provides historical justification for today's acts of terrorism.

I actually agree with a lot of that. It is wrong for people to use past events for the justification in their view of killing. It seems to me that this is you biggest gripe against the rising. However, I think that you are way over playing the part of the rising in these incidents. There was violence in Ireland before the rising and there was violence after it. One can’t blame all ills of recent violent history on one act alone.

I’m not sure where you are getting this “Ireland was not occupied” notion. Yes an act of union was signed in 1800 (the people of Ireland had no say in this), which made Ireland in your words “an integral part of the UK” overnight. But that was a technicality hence the desire for home rule. What was Ireland before the act of union was signed?

And you accuse me of hyperbole...

Well if Pearce can convince grown men, many with a good intellect to just die for their country for no real benefit then he must have been pretty pervasive to say the least.
    Largely because of some extreme stupidity on the part of the government of the day. ..

Huraahhh, we are getting somewhere. So why not proportion blame to the government of the day that gave rise to nationalist martyrdom?

I concur that an independent republic happened, but I don't accept that violence was required to achieve it. The most important steps on the road to independence - Catholic emancipation, the Land League, Home Rule - were achieved by parliamentary means. You've said yourself that every armed rebellion was a failure - why are we so obsessed with eulogising our failed violence over our successful negotiations?

Home rule was never achieved/implemented.

TBH I don’t think we are obsessed with eulogising our failed risings. As I said before, we do not have a national day of independence much like the rest of the world. We had a parade a few years ago and will probably have one every 10 years or so. Not exactly over eulogising is it?

I think it is the extreme elements such as the RIRA and some shinners that celebrate it as you describe it as above. Last time I check a good proportion of our school history books describe the land league (people died in this struggle too!), Parnell and so on. Leaving Cert history books doesn’t have 100pages on the rising and 2 on "other stuff”. If popular culture in Ireland was more interested in the rising then the reason for this is because it was widely recognised as the biggest catalyst for the road to full independence.

If you feel so strongly about it then start an awareness campaign.

No. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat its mistakes.

Everything worthwhile in this country's history was achieved through negotiation and diplomacy. Armed rebellion, by definition, leads to bloodshed. Bloodshed leads inevitably to more bloodshed, and so on.

As long as we continue to glorify the violence of the past, we will continue to provide justification for the violence of the present - whether or not that was our intention.

Rebellions the world over are glorified. July 4th, Bastille Day, the 12th of July ;)

All these glorify bloodshed in the name of a greater good, but I don’t buy into the idea that only the rising gave part to a "myth" that it’s OK to kill people for an idea or a political goal.

I am afraid that idea has been around for thousands of years and will be for the foreseeable future.

I think we have learned from our mistakes,... eventually. Many in the world are still repeating these mistakes e.g. south Asia. The north has moved on leaps and bounds since the mid 90's. There are still a few lunatics running around but I think people like these would be running around with guns anyway robbing banks or being involved in the drugs trade and so on. How many people a year does the drugs trade kill these days?

Unfortunately life and the world aint perfect and idealism can only go so in describing this curious world of ours. We would all love to live in a perfect world but I am realist enough to know that this will never happen so therefore we must look at the root causes of violence and conflicts and learn from it so the consequences are lessened.

I agree that Parnell, Redmond and co. did a great job in putting forward the Irish issues at Westminster along with Gladstone it must be said. However the conservatives and the house of lords still rejected (with laughter on one occasion) any attempts of Home Rule.
    It got passed, didn’t it?
    Well advanced but ultimately fruitless as it hit a wall.
    Did it? What wall? The “wall” of royal assent?
    Violence was going in reality to occur anyway and guess what it did. You blame the rising for the violent struggle of independence while fully expecting that violence was going to occur pretty much anyway?
    It’s pretty much inevitable that somebody will be murdered in this country at some point in the future. Does that make it acceptable for me to go kill someone? If it’s going to happen anyway, sure it might as well be me doing the killing, eh?
    Do you proportion any blame on how the British handled the situation?
    It was handled very badly, no question. But that does not make the actions of Pearse and co. any more reasonable.
    What made Ireland so different?
    Ireland was part of the UK.
    Do you proportion any blame to the ruling elite of the British Empire to "ignoring" the Irish's wishes for so long and its piecemeal approach and creating a vacuum where revolutionary ideals could flourish?
    In other words, is it partly the Brits’ fault that the Rising took place? No.
    Exactly, so these hypothetical questions are getting us nowhere. We should accept what actually happened no matter how strongly you disagree with it and move on.
    Which begs the question of why boards.ie even exists? What’s the point in discussing anything?
    Necessary, maybe not, productive, well that’s the crux of the argument.
    So the Rising was not absolutely necessary?
    Look at India and its "peaceful" rise to independence. I don’t have to describe the ethnic ongoing problems in that region. Ireland's recent troubles are nothing compared to what happened and is happening over there.
    Canada has had a bit of trouble with a Quebec liberation movement. The treatment of Native Americans by white settlers is one of the greatest crimes in history. France had a lot of blood split because of these revolutions, including Napoleon's conquests of europe.
    Yeah, you’re right. **** happens all the time, so why get all worked up about a few politically-motivated murders here and there.
    However, I think that you are way over playing the part of the rising in these incidents.
    Did you not describe the Rising as the “major spark” on the (bloody) road to independence?
    What was Ireland before the act of union was signed?
    That’s pretty irrelevant in the context of the Rising, in the same way that the Rising is pretty irrelevant in the context of modern Irish politics (or at least it should be).
    So why not proportion blame to the government of the day that gave rise to nationalist martyrdom?
    Because it’s a cop-out; “Oh it’s not the terrorists’ fault – the government forced them to do it.
    TBH I don’t think we are obsessed with eulogising our failed risings.
    Careful; you’ll do yourself an injury forcing your tongue so deep into your cheek like that.
    I think we have learned from our mistakes,... eventually.
    Which mistakes are you referring to?

It got passed, didn’t it?

But never implemented.
    Did it? What wall? The “wall” of royal assent?

The wall of "nothing happened" with home rule.
    It’s pretty much inevitable that somebody will be murdered in this country at some point in the future. Does that make it acceptable for me to go kill someone? If it’s going to happen anyway, sure it might as well be me doing the killing, eh?

Yea that was exactly what I mean....:rolleyes:

It was handled very badly, no question. But that does not make the actions of Pearse and co. any more reasonable.

Yet 100% of the blame is given to Pearse. None what so ever to the government of the day. Funny that.
    Ireland was part of the UK.

And the home rule movement was a failure;)

I think saying that Ireland was part of the UK in relation to this point is utter bollix and you know it.

We "cant" compare the desire for home rule in Canada to Ireland because Ireland was in the UK?
    Seriously what planet do you live on? I have never heard ANY historian of any kind describe it like so. Gladstone didn't hold this view neither did Parnell or Redmond, Why the **** was there a home rule movement so and none at the time in Wales or Scotland?????

Perhaps you like to do this alot.
    http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/3/1/3/7/9/ar123551342397313.jpg

I have made my arguments before about this and you refused to answer a lot of my question relating to this point so ill just leave it there.
    In other words, is it partly the Brits’ fault that the Rising took place? No.

No blame what so ever eh? Not even 0.00001%. It must have been a lovely time back then to be ruled by such people.:pac:

Tell me why again were the first 2 home rule bills rejected?:D

Which begs the question of why boards.ie even exists? What’s the point in discussing anything?

Discuss away but people confuse reality with parallel realities as if these alternative "realities" have more credence that what actually happened.

Any alternative history has to be taken with a Vat of salt. Oh by the way I love this "what if" history. I have read loads of these books but you have to be careful not to get sucked into it an base your entire view on possible alternative scenarios

So the Rising was not absolutely necessary?

Maybe not but that doesn’t change anything.
    Yeah, you’re right. **** happens all the time, so why get all worked up about a few politically-motivated murders here and there.

Well judging by the length of this thread (and pretty much any N.I thread) a lot of people get worked up over it, yet on the grand scheme of things maybe we should be talking about Darfur or the war in the Congo that has claimed far more lives. Doesn’t mean we have to dismiss any trouble in the north or elsewhere in Ireland as "oh well sure these things happen" but people can get very emotionally attached to these topics and lose their sense of grand perspective.
    Did you not describe the Rising as the “major spark” on the (bloody) road to independence?

Yes but blaming the rising on all the ills and trouble of this country especially in the north (the unionists were the first group to arm themselves by the way) is far fetched and an easy way out. There was a rebellion in 1798, why not blame that for the troubles?
    That’s pretty irrelevant in the context of the Rising, in the same way that the Rising is pretty irrelevant in the context of modern Irish politics (or at least it should be).

LOL yea sure it’s irrelevant. You love to ignore facts when it doesn’t suit your argument. You love to bang on about how Ireland was part of the UK because of the act of union, yet when I ask you what was Ireland before this act you say its "irrelevant".

Just answer the question. What was Ireland in 1799? An independent free country?:p
    Because it’s a cop-out; “Oh it’s not the terrorists’ fault – the government forced them to do it.

LOL, nobody would be foolish enough to think that, well maybe you but to completely dissolve any blame of the government of the day is pie in the sky thinking. Nobody forced the government to execute the leaders of the rising, yet they did and totally remain blameless in your argument, even though this gave rise to public sympathy towards these leaders and their cause. And the rest my friend is history.

Sure you did say " It was handled very badly, no question." yet we can’t blame them what so ever... That’s the objective thinking I like to hear LOL:D
    Careful; you’ll do yourself an injury forcing your tongue so deep into your cheek like that.

Give me examples so on where I am wrong?
    Which mistakes are you referring to?

The failures on the British and Irish governments to recognise the respects and wishes of the Unionist and Nationalist communities in the north for one.
    Civil rights, voting rights, housing rights, equal job opportunities for all sections of both communities North and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

Emancipation wasnt a step to independence it was a step to full integration into the United Kingdom. Home Rule was never achieved.

And this would be the same Land League which was founded by the Fenian gun runner Michael Davitt, a member of the Supreme Council of the IRB's. That’s the organization most responsible for The Rising you so abhor.

And the Land League's campaign is called The Land War for a reason, people died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Yawn. Exile has still not explained why some people are so obsessed with eulogising our failed violence over our successful negotiations?

• Advertisement

Yea that was exactly what I mean....:rolleyes:
    It’s a perfectly valid analogy. Accepting that violence is likely to occur at some point in the future is no reason to set the ball rolling.
    Yet 100% of the blame is given to Pearse.
    For the Rising, yes. And his comrades, of course.
    We "cant" compare the desire for home rule in Canada to Ireland because Ireland was in the UK?
    I did not say that. Yet again there seems to be a vast difference between what I posted and what you read.
    Maybe not but that doesn’t change anything.
    Of course it does. The question was asked of us at the beginning of this thread whether we would have fought in the Rising had we been alive in 1916. I have stated that I would not as I do not believe the Rising was necessary. It seems that you also feel that the Rising was not necessary, yet you still would have fought (or at least supported it)? That doesn’t make any sense to me.
    Well judging by the length of this thread (and pretty much any N.I thread) a lot of people get worked up over it, yet on the grand scheme of things maybe we should be talking about Darfur or the war in the Congo that has claimed far more lives.
    As I stated previously, the loss of a single life in the pursuit of a political goal is both wrong and unnecessary. The fact that many more lives have been lost in other parts of the world does not make the loss of life in this country any more palatable.
    LOL yea sure it’s irrelevant. You love to ignore facts when it doesn’t suit your argument. You love to bang on about how Ireland was part of the UK because of the act of union, yet when I ask you what was Ireland before this act you say its "irrelevant".
    I wasn’t “banging on” about anything. But let me address your point thusly; if you think that Pearse and co. were justified in their actions because they might have been slightly miffed about Ireland’s political status in the late 18th century, then that just further emphasises my point that they (like so many modern Republicans) were living in the past. Basing one’s political outlook on events that occurred over one hundred years ago is completely daft.
    LOL, nobody would be foolish enough to think that, well maybe you but to completely dissolve any blame of the government of the day is pie in the sky thinking. Nobody forced the government to execute the leaders of the rising, yet they did and totally remain blameless in your argument, even though this gave rise to public sympathy towards these leaders and their cause.
    Pearse and co. were responsible for commencing the Rising – nobody else. Having said that, once events were set in motion (and as I have already stated), the British government handled the situation very badly (executions included). But, that does not excuse the actions of the Republicans involved; they were not forced into doing anything, which you have admitted yourself by conceding that the Rising was not absolutely necessary.
    Give me examples so on where I am wrong?
    You stated that you “don’t think we are obsessed with eulogising our failed risings". I disagree; Pearse Street, Connolly Station, Thomas Clarke Tower, Clarke Station (Dundalk), Seán MacDermott Street, Mac Diarmada Station (Sligo), Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada (Carrick-on-Shannon)…

I could go on…

This is my last post on this thread because you are repeatedly misrepresenting what I say to suit your argument.

It’s a perfectly valid analogy. Accepting that violence is likely to occur at some point in the future is no reason to set the ball rolling.

Its about as valid an analogy as saying that we will all die sometime, so if someone murders someone else "what the big deal":rolleyes:
    For the Rising, yes. And his comrades, of course.

Nice to see you are objective anyway.
    I did not say that. Yet again there seems to be a vast difference between what I posted and what you read..

I read what you post:p

Its there for all to see. I asked what the difference between Ireland and Canada were in relation to home rule and asked why Ireland had not been granted home rule sooner. You said because Ireland was in the UK, as if that was some get out clause..??

You can elaborate if you want... but I doubt you will.

I say again why were there 2 Home rule bill rejected even though Canada had Home rule?

Of course it does. The question was asked of us at the beginning of this thread whether we would have fought in the Rising had we been alive in 1916. I have stated that I would not as I do not believe the Rising was necessary. It seems that you also feel that the Rising was not necessary, yet you still would have fought (or at least supported it)? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

It never said would you fight in the rising, it said would you fight in the grand scale of things. In the grand scale of things I would. The only reason we are talking about the rising is that revisionists like to paint it as [...insert random insults here...]. It is much easier to throw insults at the rising then the whole war of independence.
    As I stated previously, the loss of a single life in the pursuit of a political goal is both wrong and unnecessary. The fact that many more lives have been lost in other parts of the world does not make the loss of life in this country any more palatable.

Yet judging by the amount of wasted energy in this politics forum we see what matters most to people.

I wasn’t “banging on” about anything. But let me address your point thusly; if you think that Pearse and co. were justified in their actions because they might have been slightly miffed about Ireland’s political status in the late 18th century, then that just further emphasises my point that they (like so many modern Republicans) were living in the past. Basing one’s political outlook on events that occurred over one hundred years ago is completely daft.

Who is going on about 100 years ago? How about Pearse and Co. were miffed with the "present" situation then in 1916? The lack of progress on implementing Home Rule and so on....
    Pearse and co. were responsible for commencing the Rising – nobody else. Having said that, once events were set in motion (and as I have already stated), the British government handled the situation very badly (executions included). But, that does not excuse the actions of the Republicans involved; they were not forced into doing anything, which you have admitted yourself by conceding that the Rising was not absolutely necessary..

Yes, they were responsible for the rising but not responsible for all violence that emerged after that so many here claim. You hit the nail on the head in a way. There were many factors that came out of the rising that gave rise to our troubled past. Yet revisionist harp on about how the rising alone gave rise to the gun in Irish politics. Well there were rebellions before the rising too and dismissing "other factors" surrounding the rising to suit an argument is not objective.

Seeing a past without the rising and full independence without any violence at all is nothing short of fantasy IMO. That doesn't make violence OK but harping on about the rising is pointless.
    You stated that you “don’t think we are obsessed with eulogising our failed risings". I disagree; Pearse Street, Connolly Station, Thomas Clarke Tower, Clarke Station (Dundalk), Seán MacDermott Street, Mac Diarmada Station (Sligo), Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada (Carrick-on-Shannon)…

I could go on….

A few placenames? I could just as easy start banging on about "Anglo-Saxon" placenames. Last time I checked nobody forced me to go on a nationalists march down the town.
    I think the over-eulogising is in peoples head that like to be victims.
    This is my last post on this thread because you are repeatedly misrepresenting what I say to suit your argument.

You do that by yourself, you don't need my help in that.

Advertisement